Header Compression (not giganews related)

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.
ALSfan

Re: Is this implemented in the latest beta?

Post by ALSfan »

zrubavel wrote:Is XZVER support implemented in the latest version (even beta)?
If yes, how to enable it?
XZVER Header compression is still missing and many NL users are waiting
for this feature since 2008.

zrubavel

Post by zrubavel »

I implemented an nntp local proxy that "bridges" NL with xzver-supporting nntp server (aka astraweb).
It works quite nicely, I get a tremendous speedup.
I know that the intent of everyone is to do this without a proxy,
but its a solution for the time being, until NL picks up this feature natively.

B-Fix

Post by B-Fix »

zrubavel wrote:I implemented an nntp local proxy that "bridges" NL with xzver-supporting nntp server (aka astraweb).
It works quite nicely, I get a tremendous speedup.
I know that the intent of everyone is to do this without a proxy,
but its a solution for the time being, until NL picks up this feature natively.
Thats great. I've tried this several times, but never been successful in getting it to work.
Have you by any chance a link to a tutorial that work on astraweb?

zrubavel

Post by zrubavel »

What tutorial are you talking about?
This is a proxy I wrote myself, just got it to work, and of course
I never got to making a tutorial for it or anything like that.

B-Fix

Post by B-Fix »

zrubavel wrote:What tutorial are you talking about?
This is a proxy I wrote myself, just got it to work, and of course
I never got to making a tutorial for it or anything like that.
Hmm ok. I've tried programs like stunnel and others and couldn't get them to work. I therefore imagined you used something similar, and hoped you used a tutorial :)

Are you willing to allow others to try the proxy you've created? A lot of astraweb users will probably be thrilled by being able to use header compression together with newsleecher.

zrubavel

Post by zrubavel »

Yes, I am willing to share this piece of software, but I want people to check it out first, so if anyone is interested, please PM me here.

B-Fix

Post by B-Fix »

zrubavel wrote:Yes, I am willing to share this piece of software, but I want people to check it out first, so if anyone is interested, please PM me here.
I've just installed the proxy. It really works! I get a download rate of 2-4 mBYTES/sec. on my 4096/512 dsl line.
Last edited by B-Fix on Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zrubavel

Post by zrubavel »

Strange, I get 30Mbit/sec and more on the same line that goes only up to
6.5Mbit/sec when doing 20-thread news binary download.

edited: oh, megaBYTES/sec ...

pzam

Post by pzam »

just checking if xpression is coming soon so i can drop my 4.00/mo giga account I use for headers only

bbarker

Post by bbarker »

zrubavel wrote:Yes, I am willing to share this piece of software, but I want people to check it out first, so if anyone is interested, please PM me here.
Thanks for this, it's working fine here. I'm getting nearly 10 Mbps on a 6 Mbps DSL line that usually gets about 4.7 Mbps from Astraweb.

BTW, I tried various numbers of connections and the speed maxes out at 4 connections for me. More connections doesn't increase the speed.

Lebowski

Post by Lebowski »

It's a shame that this was never actually implemented into newsleecher, especially since that was a promise made by them almost a year ago.
I believe this, among many other issues, will be the reason I do not renew my subscription to this service when it expires later this year, and move to newsbin pro.

Astraweb SPELLED IT OUT for you to support it, and you have not. What excuse do you have?

kteague

Post by kteague »

I would like to ask, though, what does header compression offer? Is this only when you download headers from newsgroups? I use Newzbin, so I don't think that I, myself, would see any benefit for this, but it appears that others do. As such, I agree that adding it to Newsleecher would be a good idea.

Off topic:
dwm4444 wrote:I imagine that a lot of people will be jumping ship from Giganews to Astra in the near future. I've been with Giga for years, but now that I can get an unlimited connection with long retention, SSL, and header acceleration from Astraweb for $11/month versus $30/month for Giganews, it's goodbye Giganews for me.
$11/mo limits you to a 1Mb/sec connection download rate on Astraweb's side. $15/mo gives you unlimited -- and, you're right, this is a better deal than what Giganews is offering. However, I've had no problems with Giganews, so I see no reason to jump ship, even if there are cheaper services elsewhere. Giganews now offers up to *50* concurrent connections, but I really don't see any speed benefit to this.

I get outstanding transfer rates from Giganews. No matter where I download from, I'm almost always maxing out the bandwidth available. I used Astraweb a long time ago, when their retention was low, completion rate wasn't as advertised, and... well, they basically sucked all around.

1. How is their transfer speeds now? Can you max out your available bandwidth with them?

2. Has their completion rate gotten any better and is 99% as advertised?

tommo123

Post by tommo123 »

i was on GN for 3 years and with AW since jan. i can't see a difference tbh. apart from the bill :o

kteague

Post by kteague »

For those who want header compression from Giganews, we don't need Newsleecher to support it (directly). It can be obtained by utilizing the Giganews proxy program:

http://www.giganews.com/accelerator.html

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

kteague wrote:I would like to ask, though, what does header compression offer? Is this only when you download headers from newsgroups? I use Newzbin, so I don't think that I, myself, would see any benefit for this, but it appears that others do. As such, I agree that adding it to Newsleecher would be a good idea.
If you don't download group headers but use an index/search service like SuperSearch, Newzbin, binsearch, etc, then you will have no use for this feature.

AFAIK, Spiril is still planning on adding this to NewsLeecher but not until the 4.0 rewrite is farther along.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.