Skip password protected archives

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.

Would you find the option to skip password protected archives useful?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 16

Fail-Safe

Skip password protected archives

Post by Fail-Safe »

Is it possible for NL to check if any files within an archive are password protected before downloading the entire set? Several times I've downloaded something only to find out I had wasted time and bandwidth because of this.

teh_l33ch

Post by teh_l33ch »

Sounds as a nice option.

I have noticed downloads posted as rarset without a password and in this rars a rarset with a password.
So when only first rarset is checked on password you still have a rarset with a password.

You can also use a usenet community forum and first read the comments of other
users so you can skip the password protected files or find the password.

Zoneseek

Post by Zoneseek »

This would be great.

p0W3Rh0u5e

Post by p0W3Rh0u5e »

A simple skip-option alone would'nt be that great, why not add a list of "known passwords" and let NL try them, before it skips the files or sets them to paused?

Fail-Safe

Post by Fail-Safe »

p0W3Rh0u5e wrote:A simple skip-option alone would'nt be that great, why not add a list of "known passwords" and let NL try them, before it skips the files or sets them to paused?
Why, is there some list of known passwords floating around out there for these things? Do these people who have you visiting strange web sites operating off of this list? Seems unlikely. :)

I'm under the impression that, if you need a password, then whatever was archived wasn't what you thought it was. You know, one of those, visit this site to get a trojan instead of the password deals. I have never clicked on any of those links to find out.

Anyway, I don't think it would be possible to test a password with only one part of the archive.. at least, not with my experience in using WinRAR. You only need one part out of the archive for the application to ask for a password, but it extracts the file before it tries to decrypt it, which means you have to have the full archive to know whether or not the password actually works.
Last edited by Fail-Safe on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darkmatter612

zipped files.

Post by darkmatter612 »

I've have been paying for Newsleecher for years now and I would really love to see this feature implemented.

Forget about a password list. Just a "skip password protected zip" option would do. People out there trying to make money out of password protecting files are evil.

I have noticed some password protected files out there are zipped up in another unprotected zip file. I'm not sure how you would approach this however there always seems to be a stupid password html file in the folder.

sheepshagger

Post by sheepshagger »

how would it check to see if it has a password?

darkmatter612

Post by darkmatter612 »

sheepshagger wrote:how would it check to see if it has a password?
When you open the first archive you should be able to tell. From that the application should give you the option to continue to download the following files or not.

If the poster tries to hide the fact that they have passworded the real archive i.e. by imbeding the passworded archive inside a normal archive, then have the application check to see if the primary archive contains any additional archive files at which stage it again aborts further downloads of this file.

I'm no programer so these are only ideas but I'm sure the smart developers of this application can figure something out.

FlangeMonkey

Post by FlangeMonkey »

Love the idea...

FYI - I've also noticed the password archives are on certain groups and I've taken the approach of using more reliable sources.

goldcd

I'd love that as well

Post by goldcd »

Just a simple check-box, that if the first archive fragment contains an archive file - then just pause the download.

p0W3Rh0u5e

Post by p0W3Rh0u5e »

murderone wrote:
p0W3Rh0u5e wrote:A simple skip-option alone would'nt be that great, why not add a list of "known passwords" and let NL try them, before it skips the files or sets them to paused?
Why, is there some list of known passwords floating around out there for these things? Do these people who have you visiting strange web sites operating off of this list? Seems unlikely. :)
Well, i'm not talking about those pw-protected spam/fake/dupe-posts...

In some groups there are lots of legit password-protected posts, the passwords are given out to members of forums. I don't like it, but thats the way they're doing it.
Anyway, I don't think it would be possible to test a password with only one part of the archive..
Hav'nt tested this, but if its the case this feature could still be implemented.

Why not let the user choose between "skipping/pausing a fileset if pw-protection is detected after downloading the first part" and "download the full set and try the list of known passwords"?