Auto-join multiple files (.001, .002, .003, etc)

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.
CrazyDude

Auto-join multiple files (.001, .002, .003, etc)

Post by CrazyDude » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:57 pm

I often run into binary posts where after Newsleecher (I'm using the latest beta as of Dec 8, 2012) auto-unRars them, I'm left with many "split" files that are numbered like so MyVideoFile.wmv.000 (this file is usually tiny and may be an info file of some kind), then MyVideoFile.wmv.001, MyVideoFile.wmv.002, MyVideoFile.wmv.003, MyVideoFile.wmv.004, etc., and a very few even go up into the 1000's. I have a utility where I can right-click on EACH one, one archive at a time and it'll join them, but it'd be GREAT if there was a feature in NewsLeecher to do that for me.

If this feature is already there and I can't find it, lemme know! I also looked a bit on here and didn't find anyone else suggesting it, which I found surprising.

JohnNL

Post by JohnNL » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:27 am

Download the free 7-zip program. Then right click on the xyz.000 (or xyz.001) file in your download folder and select "extract here". It will automatically search and find all the others and combine them into one file.
http://www.7-zip.org/

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:21 am

If the archive contains par2 files, you can use NewsLeecher's Repair and Extract feature to verify and repair the archive then join the segments.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

CrazyDude

Post by CrazyDude » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:48 pm

I don't think you're quite understanding... Here's the situation. I'll download a large multi-part RAR, so I'll have:

MyVideoFile.part01.rar
MyVideoFile.part02.rar
MyVideoFile.part03.rar
MyVideoFile.part04.rar
MyVideoFile.part05.rar
MyVideoFile.vol00+01.par2
MyVideoFile.vol00+05.par2
MyVideoFile.vol00+09.par2
Etc.

When Newsleecher auto-unRARs those (or I were to unRAR them myself), which I have Newsleecher set up to do, that archive contains numbered, split files:
MyVideoFile.wmv.001
MyVideoFile.wmv.002
MyVideoFile.wmv.003
MyVideoFile.wmv.004, Etc.

If I use a 3rd party utility, I can right-click on that MyVideoFile.wmv.001 file and tell it to join them all, but that's not fun when you have say 20 of these to join. It's like having to unRAR archives myself. But I then get the final playable file:
MyVideoFile.wmv

So it's like an archive within an archive, except these files simply need to be tacked onto each other to create the final large, playable file. It's very standard too, so it shouldn't be that hard to implement. I could take a day out and write something in VB to do it, but I was hoping it could be added to Newsleecher, because at some point others would probably suggest it, it'd get added to Newsleecher and I would have wasted a day. :)

And to JohnNL, thanks but I have Newsleecher set to create a folder for each download. There's no way WinZip is smart enough to do this as a large batch like that. I'd have to do each one individually like I do now. But then even if it could, having to use WinZip is like saying, "Download WinZip and unRAR the files yourself also, instead of the feature needing to be in Newsleecher." That's what Newsleecher is all about, making our lives easier.

I can't believe no one else has mentioned this. I can even show specific newsgroup files that do this privately if the developer would like to add such a feature. Just PM me! I run into many of these per download session. It's not just a few here and there.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:32 am

With scripting support in the upcoming NewsLeecher V6, it will be possible to implement such functionality.

By the way, there is also a manual 'combine' utility in NewsLeecher. It can be accessed from ' Explorer Tab -> Explorer Tools -> Combine Selected Files'.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

CrazyDude

Post by CrazyDude » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:58 pm

Well that would at least make it possible. Even better, for me anyway, would be a way to execute an EXE and supply a filename to it. Then I could make my own EXE to do the combining automatically after a download. If I can do that from the script, that'd be great.

itsmewhiteney

Re: Auto-join multiple files (.001, .002, .003, etc)

Post by itsmewhiteney » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:26 am

You can use the command line version of 7zip file manager which is 7z to compress multiples files into multiples zip files...