Filters slowing down header download speeds

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.
Priesy

Filters slowing down header download speeds

Post by Priesy »

Would it be possible to improve the download speed achieved when fetching headers
Speeds are massively reduced the more filters that you have applied :?:

Quaraxkad

Re: Maximize header download speeds

Post by Quaraxkad »

Filters do not affect the speed of downloading headers, they are applied only when viewing already-downloaded headers. The only way to improve the download speed of headers is by using a Usenet server that supports header compression. This doesn't technically increase the download *speed*, but it does allow you to download the same amount of headers in less time.

Priesy

Post by Priesy »

My USP does support header compression however when enabled fetching is done at a reduced speed compared to when it is disabled
Also my findings are that download speeds spike a lot the more that filters are applied
with few or no filters applied fetching speeds run smoothly and at a higher speed with compression either on or off
Unless you're implying that I'm imagining this :O

rTiGd2

Post by rTiGd2 »

This may also be an artifact that the server hardware does the compression at a much lower priority and you are actually waiting for the server side compression rather than anything else. After all, header compression was implemented to reduce data usage, rather than speed up downloads. Have you tried using any other news services (perhaps with free trials) to ascertain if this is server side or client side?

Priesy

Post by Priesy »

So basically you're telling me that your USP allows you to download compressed headers at your maximum bandwidth
I've never seen that regardless of which provider I've used and I've tested a lot since the introduction of DMCA so a heads up on who you use to achieve this would be fantastic :)
Regardless the compression issue wasn't my real concern my question related more to the fact that the more filters I apply the slower the fetch speed is
As a work around the only way I have helped the issue is to keep the client permanently running and enable auto update every 2 hours
I should mention I have a several hundred groups subscribed and a rather large filter list which is probably beyond the norm and would explain why the average user wouldn't see much of an issue in what I'm describing
Also in relation to the client based comment I can confirm at least that speeds also reduce the larger the cache/garbage size and speeds do increase when cleaned and rebooted
In case you where wondering why I have so many groups subscribed it's because I'm a moderator of an NZB indexing site :wink:

Spiril
Site Admin

Re: Filters slowing down header download speeds

Post by Spiril »

The filter system is going to be rewritten for much better performance and better usability in a later 8.x release.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

Priesy

Post by Priesy »

Cheers Spiril
Nice to receive a reply that recognises the issue
Sounds like a fix is gonna be a while though
Version 8 #-o

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

Sorry, meant 7.x :)
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.