Filter dead links?

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.
techjunkie

Filter dead links?

Post by techjunkie »

I read the FAQ , But are there any plans on filtering dead links in super search if the servers are always being re-indexed, is it not technically possible, can you not filter out the DMCA removed and other copyrighted material that's removed from servers links or at least show them as red or black or put little DMCA icon on them, so people don't have to see them or waste there time clicking on link after link when it shows it is with the days of retention and have no clue if its DMCA or not.

That would a #1 feature for me, since, as having a retention of 2200 days on the servers is useless if most of the links are dead or removed.

A feature I think would improve newsleecher super search.

Quaraxkad

Re: Filter dead links?

Post by Quaraxkad »

This feature is both not feasible, and somewhat pointless. Just because an article is removed due to DMCA does not mean it's just *gone*. It's likely still available on another server. If you have frequent problems then change your usenet provider, or make use of backup servers.

techjunkie

Post by techjunkie »

I think a 2nd news server to me, that's seems over kill, I all ready have the newsleecher all in one package I dont think that's the solution.

All I want (newsleecher super search) to filter out all dead, expired and removed DMCA links in the super search index not the usenet servers.
They the (developers) should be able to test every link while your building the super search index in real time before displaying it to the user.
if you get 403, the file is missing or gone off the server don't display it to the user, so pre test it, ping it, before displaying it.

That's my opinion that's what I want.

So hey News Leecher people, figure out a way to make this happen!, you find more people who want this feature then the ones who don't.
it would be very useful for me and not pointless time is money and I don't like wasting my time.

Quaraxkad

Post by Quaraxkad »

It doesn't *matter* if any one particular server doesn't have a certain article (or thousands of articles). Other servers DO still have it (them). This is why removing or marking them in SS results is pointless. Not to mention the immense load it would create on the SS servers.
techjunkie wrote:I think a 2nd news server to me, that's seems over kill, I all ready have the newsleecher all in one package I dont think that's the solution.
Well no, the solution is for you to *pay* for your otherwise illegally obtained free content...

techjunkie

Post by techjunkie »

What? (Well no, the solution is for you to *pay* for your otherwise illegally obtained free content... )

Wow, your last negative and abusive comment was it really called for?.

This is open forum and attacking a person for posting a request for a feature or improvement for the software that I am paying for , should you really be attacking me? for that. Just because you think its not possible ,you really shouldn't be making a statement like your last comment .

anyhow in the future don't reply my posts.

Quaraxkad

Post by Quaraxkad »

I'm not attacking you. I'm informing you that you can't expect to get everything for free and not have to work for it a little... If you are not willing to do that work in getting a second or even third backup server, then your only choice it to get your content legally. This is the state of Usenet.