Connections optimized for Multi-WAN scenarios

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.
Shashinka

Connections optimized for Multi-WAN scenarios

Post by Shashinka »

I access the internet via two different providers (cable and DSL) using a Multi-WAN router and load balancing.

I know that load balancing itself does not increase the bandwidth in case only one application connects to a specific server.

However, I noticed that when Newsleecher connects to more than one usenet server simultanously, under certain circumstances, the connnections to "server 1" are routed over cable and the connections to "server 2" are routed over the DSL line. This actually doubles the transfer rate.

I am not sure how the load balancer works. But I think it routes each "new" connection to the respective WANs in a round robin method.

I do not know if Newsleecher creates a real new connection for each download bot because resetting a respective bot does not result in a re-routing. However, bots connecting to the same server are sometimes re-routed when I change the "weight" of a specific WAN in the load balancer. I think it simply results in a disconnection and Newsleecher has to establish a new connection which is sometimes routed over the alternate WAN.

Therefore, it would be nice if Newsleecher could be optimized in a way which makes use of Multi-WAN scenarios:

1. Newsleecher opens a connection to the respective server in a way which seems to be a "new program opening a new internet connection". I cannot describe it in a better way. For the load balancer it would look like individual clients connecting to different servers.

2. When using different servers simultaneously, after pressing the "connect" button there is an adjustable delay. After all bots have established a connection to a specific server, Newsleecher waits accordingly before it connects to the next server. This way, WAN 1 may already have a high load when connecting to the next server and the load balancer would route it over the other WAN.

kel

Re: Connections optimized for Multi-WAN scenarios

Post by kel »

If your news provider offers multiple ports, you could achieve this with Newsleecher and your router's settings.

Create 1 server entry with the number of bots you want using connection WAN1 using one of the ports your news provider allows. (ex: MyProvider 563, 10 bots, port 563)
Create a second server entry with the number of bots you want using connection WAN1 using another of the ports your news provider allows. (ex: MyProvider 8080, 7 bots, port 8080)

Then create rules on your router such that if your systems try to contact MyProvider on port 563 always route the connection via WAN1 and if the connection attempt is on port 8080 route via WAN2. (How to create such rules is beyond the scope of this post and will vary by manufacturer and router type but such rules are possible on nearly all Multi-WAN routers.)
-
Seriously wish the missing features of local search and the features that have been broken/removed from local search but left in or in some cases improved on the SuperSearch would be fixed/restored and improved upon on for local search. - More details: http://www.newsleecher.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&p=127938#p127938

Shashinka

Re: Connections optimized for Multi-WAN scenarios

Post by Shashinka »

Thank you for your reply.

I think I have to provide a little update on my situation.

Since my last post, something must have changed: either the way Newsleecher is working or the way the load balancer does.

Consequentially, when Newsleecher is downloading with more than one bot and even from a single server, the load is always balanced between my WAN connections. When the newsgroup server is fast enough, I get the maximum possible bandwith. I am quite happy with this situation and hope that it does not change.