Selective Repair/Rebuild

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.
sinrise

Selective Repair/Rebuild

Post by sinrise » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:41 pm

This happens to me a lot: I download a several-gigabyte set only to find the only file missing or broken is a stupid .nfo file or something else I don't want or need. Of course, if I have a large queue, this only slows down the entire process as I have to wait for a lengthy repair process just to recover a file I will only delete.

It would be pretty sweet to have a 'repair blacklist' or some other way of telling NL not to bother repairing certain files and just extract everything else. Or, maybe just an option to 'don't repair or rebuild files not part of the RAR set.'

I'm not sure if this is even possible bit I figure it might be. 8-[

Feynor

Re: Selective Repair/Rebuild

Post by Feynor » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:26 am

It should be possible to say that if the only damaged/missing files are non rar files, everything is fine.
But a filter list would probably be better as some downloads doesn't contain a rar.

SimonleBonbon

Post by SimonleBonbon » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:07 am

sinrise wrote:This happens to me a lot: I download a several-gigabyte set only to find the only file missing or broken is a stupid .nfo file or something else I don't want or need. Of course, if I have a large queue, this only slows down the entire process as I have to wait for a lengthy repair process just to recover a file I will only delete.

It would be pretty sweet to have a 'repair blacklist' or some other way of telling NL not to bother repairing certain files and just extract everything else. Or, maybe just an option to 'don't repair or rebuild files not part of the RAR set.'

I'm not sure if this is even possible bit I figure it might be. 8-[
If this happens to me, I use QuickPar (or Multipar) and repair manually. Somehow, the good ol' quickpar logarithm is much more efficient than the built in routine in Newsleecher. Nothing beats a good hand job ;). Would be great though to have the option to skip the repair (per set).

I use a SSD as temporary and extract to my NAS (Synology), so repairing with Quickpar goes very fast, even while downloading with a whopping 22MB/s. Right after the repair with Quickpar, Newsleecher stops repairing and starts extracting.
Newsleecher user since 2005

sinrise

Post by sinrise » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:55 am

I get what you're saying, Simonle but the whole point is automation, at least for me. I used QuickPar (and it's predecessors) for years before Repair N Extract was available so it would be taking a step back to do as you suggest and (to paraphrase) "why not just not use NewsLeecher?" :P ;) I do appreciate the suggestion on how to speed up the process. Even faster would be to disable repair in NL, not use QP, let NL verify the set, and if the RAR set is good, extract with WinRAR and turn on queuing. Meh. I just let NL do it's thing, try to make as many resources as possible available (especially when my queue is ridiculously long) and wait.

Either way, the more I think about it, the more plausible the possibility of implementing this feature sounds. Whether or not it will be implemented remains to be seen but it seems like a pretty obvious next step simply because it gives us the best of both worlds: Automation AND a speed boost. Think about how much faster it would be not having to repair an NFO file for a set that contains 120 mins of 1080p video. Maybe some people want those files... can't imagine why but I guess it would be worth making it an option. NL can already inspect and see that the RAR set contains video; even what kind of video. "Extract only video files" seems to fall nicely into the ethos of SuperLeech (which I looooooove) and compliments my growing puzzle of automation even nicely...er. :D

Thanks again, Simonle. I really enjoy conversations like these.

NTHustler

Post by NTHustler » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:31 pm

I would also like to have some kind of repair blacklist, or extra a 'certain' content option. Almost never I want the .nfo file, it is a waste of time and resources to wait for the repair of files you don't want (if the .nfo file is the only one missing or broken).

Although it might be challenging to write somekind of .cmd or powershell script to handle this, i'd rather have it standard available in newsleecher.

sinrise

Post by sinrise » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:07 am

Hmmm.... really? No one else wants this? Maybe everyone else just has such badass computers they don't even notice :)

NTHustler

Post by NTHustler » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:00 am

I guess everyone likes to waste time and resources by not having this feature implemented......

LordCrc

Post by LordCrc » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:31 pm

Nice idea, personally I'd prefer an extension blacklist or similar, as I often download non-rar sets.

Quaraxkad

Post by Quaraxkad » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:36 pm

This was suggested ages ago and the resulting implementation was to clean up these files after extraction, rather than ignore before repair. https://www.newsleecher.com/forum/viewt ... =4&t=24294

sinrise

Post by sinrise » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:47 am

I think when I said 'non-rar' files I mean, not 'content' files. A blacklist would be easier than a whitelist, though. In other words, don't repair 'nfo', 'sfv', 'txt', 'html', etc.. and just repair and extract anything else. Cleaning up the par2 repair files is a nice feature but it's not what I was asking for in this post.