Option to keep downloaded in list

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.
MrCrowley

Post by MrCrowley »

Taomyn wrote:If a download fails the queue should reflect this not just delete it :x
Couldn't agree more. ;)

Dr Vids

Post by Dr Vids »

Yup, just ran into this. Some files are not complete on either of my servers so it just put an Incomplete File note in the Log. Err, not the best place to put that IMO. It should definitely be left in the Queue with Incomplete File in the Status column.

Add this to the Roadmap at Priority One captain.

Dr Vids
Over a decade of Usenet experience.
Forte Agent
NewsBin Pro
XNews
& now
NewsLeecher :-)

SusiBiker

Post by SusiBiker »

Having just lost nearly 3GB of "fractured" download parts (long story- 4 servers...) I was mildly pi$$ed to say the least!
I have started using NL in anger only recently as I felt it did not match up to NBP. I bought it 17 months ago.
Apart from this MAJOR omission from its list of capabilities NL's just a hair's breadth away from usurping the NBP crown.

This is, IMHO, the only real failing left that NL has when compared to other readers/robots, come on Spiril, do us proud!!

MrCrowley

Post by MrCrowley »

SusiBiker wrote:NL's just a hair's breadth away from usurping the NBP crown.
Nahh it already did that despite missing some features we'd all like to see.

SusiBiker

Post by SusiBiker »

MrCrowley wrote:Nahh it already did that despite missing some features we'd all like to see.
:) Swings and roundabouts.
I'll certainly agree to one thing- It's certainly a lot more stable than poor old NBP.
If those "features we'd all like to see" ever turn up, no-one will be able to touch NL for doing this job!
Apart from the restart-from-scratch annoyance, I have seriously enjoyed using NL. The difference from the early betas is amazing! The fact that this forum is now up and running is a major help too. In the early days, it was hard work to find anything out...

I'm finally a convert to NL: Spiril (and pals) rock. 8)

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

I'll put the "Keep downloaded / failed in list" feature on the todo list ...

mudone11

Post by mudone11 »

Great :D
Be yourself, there are enough other people!

SusiBiker

Post by SusiBiker »

Spiril wrote:I'll put the "Keep downloaded / failed in list" feature on the todo list ...
Spiril, thank you so much. Very VERY much appreciated :!: :!:

MrCrowley

Post by MrCrowley »

SusiBiker wrote:Spiril, thank you so much. Very VERY much appreciated :!: :!:
Ditto :wink:

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

No probs! :)

Must admit it's a really needed feature in NL...

MrCrowley

Post by MrCrowley »

Spiril wrote:Must admit it's a really needed feature in NL...
Thats the spirit!! :D

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips »

MrCrowley wrote:
SusiBiker wrote:NL's just a hair's breadth away from usurping the NBP crown.
Nahh it already did that despite missing some features we'd all like to see.
I agree with that. For me, there is no comparison. Never liked NBP. Actually, I'm not at all sure about what this "crown" is.
This is one thing that has always kinda bothered me here in the forum. The constant comparisons to NBP. I think a lot more of the essential features (and yes, of course this is IMO) that NL is currently missing might already be on the todo list if the comparisons were being made to NewsPro. Also add to this BNR2, the much newer NewsManPro, and Xnews (obviously not the multi-server parts of this last one).
Anyways, just felt it necessary to say this. Please do not take this as bashing NL. I think that it's been pretty obvious that I want to see NewsLeecher become on of the top grabbers. I just believe that what I've brought up here will help achieve this goal.
Spiril wrote:Must admit it's a really needed feature in NL...
Thanks, Spiril. This will be a welcome feature.

--
Lips

SusiBiker

Post by SusiBiker »

Lips wrote:Actually, I'm not at all sure about what this "crown" is.
I thought I'd try to explain as succinctly as possible, and this is just a *personal* point of view -
I have tried just about all newsreader/newsrobot dl software out there at one time or another. I am a Usenet addict in every sense of the word.
I get very frustrated with programs that are idiosyncratic to use without having a clear benefit. There are so many programs that "do the job", but few that do it really well. From the many people I have spoken to over the years I have come to the personal opinion, as stated earlier, that NBP for all its faults is one of the most versatile news-proggies out there. Those "In the know" (and that comment is purely subjective) seem to feel that "NBP is the one to beat." When you look around at Tucows and other dl sites, it certainly seems to be well thought of.

Getting into that personal opinion thing again, for the last time, I have a few things that I NEED in dl software to be covered and NL at long last does most of these. In others it excels my wildest expectations - Super Search is a killer-feature, and was the clincher for me.
Not being able to extract file segments (chunks) and assemble them is where I use NBP still for partial file downloads, but the biggest no-no for me is the loss of downloaded data between restarts. Spiril is/has added this to the list so I am a happy bunny.
Once these features are implemented, NBP and I will finally part company (after some four years of use).
I went for NL because as much as I have got used to NBP it does fall over more than I would like, and it did it once too many times for my liking. I bought into NL because I liked the fresh interface and LOVED the way it handles file downloads - one file, multiple concurrent parts.
My biggest gripe with NBP, apart from the stability, is the interface is clunky and frustrating....

The thing is for those partial file downloads I still have to do NBP does the job that NL can't.
Sorry, but that, but unless anyone can tell me how otherwise I can do this... That's my opinion; my truth.

NBP is my King, hence the crown, because it can do partial downloads and is apparently so popular, but I am in love with NL, the usurper to the throne. The King is dying, er, long live the New King! (soon?) :wink:

One last thing -
We all have our favourite newsreaders for one reason or another; an opinion is just that: an opinion; and an opinion is not worth getting upset over.
Every opinion is as valid as it is invalid. :)

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips »

SusiBiker wrote:
Lips wrote:Actually, I'm not at all sure about what this "crown" is.
I thought I'd try to explain as succinctly as possible, and this is just a *personal* point of view -
Of course. So was mine. Never claimed it to be anything else. And Susi, please don't take my post as in any way to be an attack on you. Never meant it that way at all. This comparison to NBP is something that comes up a lot. I thought was would be a good time to give another opinion.
SusiBiker wrote:The thing is for those partial file downloads I still have to do NBP does the job that NL can't.
Yeah, nobody has been more vocal about this missing feature than me.
SusiBiker wrote:Sorry, but that, but unless anyone can tell me how otherwise I can do this... That's my opinion; my truth.
As you clearly already know, NL needs much improvement with its handling of partial files. (Wow, that was amazingly diplomatic for me :)) Quite a few other clients are able to dl incomplete multipart posts and add new segments as the arrive.
SusiBiker wrote:NBP is my King, hence the crown, because it can do partial downloads and is apparently so popular, but I am in love with NL, the usurper to the throne. The King is dying, er, long live the New King! (soon?) :wink:
One last thing -
We all have our favourite newsreaders for one reason or another; an opinion is just that: an opinion; and an opinion is not worth getting upset over.
Every opinion is as valid as it is invalid. :)
Again, Susi, see above. I never said your opinion wasn't valid.
I just gave another one, opinion that is. It's my feeling that many people shy away from some of the most feature rich clients because they do not want to spend the extra time learning how to use them. This does not necessarily make these clients bad. They can have a higher learning curve for many people, due to the amount of features that exist in the software and also due to maybe having a different way of doing things.

Anyways, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.....

Peace.

--
Lips

SusiBiker

Post by SusiBiker »

Hiya,

For Gawd, sake!! :)

I HATE bloody text forums - no matter how many damn smileys you use, or however you try to put things, you can never quite get your point over without offending someone.

I wasn't in the slightest upset, silly. ;)
I wasn't even having a dig back. Honest. (Hint: It's not subtle when I get upset. :D )

Mass amounts of apologies for any misunderstanding. I'm not the kind to take offence. I think I over-compensate in what I say in trying not to give offence and that creates misunderstandings...

I was replying to your pondering on why NL is compared to NBP and trying not to get my ear bitten off (by others) for being heretical.
For years NBP has been considered the market leader, rightly or wrongly, and it does still have the odd advantage over NL, I just did not want to get flamed for daring to say so.

My post as I said, was an attempt to get my thoughts across and fend off the IDIOTS that you get who are sooooo blinkered that their way is the right way.
On other one-product boards I have been vilified for not toeing the "all-hail the conquering all-powerful product" line. That's why I've always made a point of saying I love NL in trying to fend off such comments. The truth is, I do love NL: I *only* use NBP now for partial downloads.
Yay, verily, I have seen the light.

There is a lot that still irritates me about NL, and in the early days it really did suck (sorry Spiril, but that's early betas for you. ;) ), I just wanted to get my point over without getting hounded out of town for saying that NL is great, but has a little bit to go before I personally can say, "It's the best!"

Sorry if you thought I was having a dig. I assure you, I wasn't in anyway shape or form. I was just protecting my ar$e from those who are still in short pants and who are thus still short on perspective. I'm an NL-noob, just not a Usenet noob.

Lips, I sincerely promise that I was not upset, I was just trying to cover my back without upsetting anyone else (hence the "opinion" comments) and not getting upset back. I obviously failed in at least one respect. Oh boy. :( ;)

Sorry my (new) friend. Peace on Earth, and all that stuff? :)
Last edited by SusiBiker on Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.