number of headers to download

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.
Lestat

number of headers to download

Post by Lestat » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:35 am

ok i dont know how many people need to ask for this and for how long we have to ask for this before they include this option.
but someone bloody damn well listen please.

the only program that i know of that allows you to select on the fly how many headers to download is xnews.
and no other program does that.
and until newsleecher and other proggies implement this feature my self and many others i talk to will never use this program full time.

its not real friggin hard to impliment this feature , and im no programmer but for gods sake, in plain ol engrish it would go something like this.

"if update button is pushed, check server for total number of headers, and the beginning and ending number of those headers. them in the gui show a slider that allows you to slide left and right adjusting the number of headers to grab. like header number 500,000 thru 1,000,000 instead of being forced to grab the entire bloody list.
and its a waste of space to sit and have all these old headers stuck somewhere on your hard disk for 2 or 3 or 7 days or a month whatever the person sets it at..

even having to download the entire header list 1 bloody time is bullshit.

its not a hard damn option to create you newsleecher creators, jesus make it already.

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:28 am

LOL. So, do you have some strong feelings about this feature? :) :wink:
Lestat wrote:ok i dont know how many people need to ask for this and for how long we have to ask for this before they include this option.
but someone bloody damn well listen please.
the only program that i know of that allows you to select on the fly how many headers to download is xnews.
and no other program does that.
and until newsleecher and other proggies implement this feature my self and many others i talk to will never use this program full time.
I agree. It's a great feature. I love this feature. I’m excited about this feature.
It would be excellent addition to NL. And yes, it has been discussed here before.
Lestat wrote:its not real friggin hard to impliment this feature , and im no programmer but for gods sake, in plain ol engrish it would go something like this.
Don't know how difficult it would be to implement this. It may not be difficult, but maybe it would be difficult. I don’t know. Is it possible that you don’t know either?
Lestat wrote:even having to download the entire header list 1 bloody time is bullshit.
Why?
Lestat wrote:its not a hard damn option to create you newsleecher creators, jesus make it already.
Ok, so Jesus is a writing code and creating NL?
Plain English. Hmmmmm.....

--
Lips

Lestat

Post by Lestat » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:38 am

yes thats what its going to take to make it,, jesus himself, lol

and yes its stupid to download anywhere from 1 million to 4 million headers when all you need is 200,000 or less.

its a VERY VERY simple programming option like i said, the program looks at the starting and ending header number and shows you them,, you them choose what set of headers to download, its simple, if i new scriptiing or programming id do it myself.

i find it amazingly annoying why xnews is the only program that uses this feature, and the 1 and only reason i use xnews aside from its a MUCH easier program than any other out there, is the fact i can choose which and how many headers to download. i mean its programmed by one guy . and hasnt been updated for ages and ages and dont even need to be updated.
aside from its HUGE memory footprint, there is no need to fix it.

NL and NBP on every other program has updates once a week, why is that.

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:23 am

Lestat wrote: and yes its stupid to download anywhere from 1 million to 4 million headers when all you need is 200,000 or less.
Well, if you want just the newest 200,000 it's not a problem with NL.
Ok. So you just assume that everyone is dl’ing ov’s from groups that have 1m-4million headers? Your original statement did not mention the amount of headers. Just a general statement about downloading all headers, even just once.
I don’t generally use the very large groups, except for testing. There are times I want to get all headers for a group. Usually this would be the first time I'm looking at a group. Sometimes I only want the latest x amount of headers from a newly subscribed to group.
I agree with you that the ability to easily specify a range of headers is of great value when grabbing headers from those large groups from which you want to grab say 800,000 at a time, maybe starting from the oldest article (as far as arti number) and systematically working your way to the newest article.
And, of course, when looking for an article that you know or suspect would be in a certain range.
Lestat wrote:i find it amazingly annoying why xnews is the only program that uses this feature, and the 1 and only reason i use xnews aside from its a MUCH easier program than any other out there, is the fact i can choose which and how many headers to download.
It appears that you use the feature very often. I certainly use the range feature, but it's not my main method of getting headers. One of my favorite things about Xnews is the ability to organize by queue (and archive) folders. I do not use header storage for binary groups. Since I normally would have moved the headers that are of interest to me into the proper queue folder, I don’t need to constantly be using the “sliders”.
Lestat wrote: i mean its programmed by one guy . and hasnt been updated for ages and ages and dont even need to be updated.
It's a mature product. NL is not. Xnews had plenty of updates. You are also comparing a Newsreader (that also handles binaries) with a News grabber.

I think we agree on the value of this header range feature. I just do not agree with your value judgements.

--
Lips

Taomyn

Post by Taomyn » Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:18 am

In addition to this, NL really really needs to support "only download x days worth of headers" :x

If you are searching for a binary release that could only have come out within the last 5 days, there is no way to say only download the last 5 days headers. On a large binaries group you cannot simply guess at the number of headers to download and I'm forced to have to download twice if not more as much as I want which is sometimes 500,000 headers instead of 250,000 or more often even less. Seeing as I pay for my news server per Mb this wastes my quota.