Text Search

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.
Hermann

Text Search

Post by Hermann »

Hey

Why have the "Exclude Subj" & "Exclude Poster" fields in the "Text Search bar" been removed.? :(
I found them very usefull sometime.
I would like them back.

Regards
Hermann

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

They are still there in 2.1 Final and 2.3.01 beta, at least for me.

Perhaps you have moved that toolbar over so that there isn't room to show them in the window. Try moving that toolbar down to it's own row and they should come back.

Hermann

Post by Hermann »

I've found them.
If you set an mark in "Use Regular Expression Searches" in the "Advanced Setup Dialog" those 2 fields disappear.

Regards
Hermann

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

That is odd. That option does change the behavour of those search/filter fields but it isn't required. I have that option turned off and I still have those filters available.

Hermann

Post by Hermann »

Plz read what I wrote again.

If you set a mark in that option (Turn on), which it was when I first wrote about the problem, those 2 fileds disappear.

I don't have a mark in the option now (Turned Off) and the 2 fields are visible.

I'm using v2.3b1
Hermann

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

Ahh. Well, that make a bit more sense now.

With regular expressions, you can include and exclude as part of the expression. This is why there isn't seperate include and exclude fields. Just seperate fields for subject and poster.

If you are not familiar with regex, just turn that option off and you will have the 4 seperate fields.

Hermann

Post by Hermann »

My prob solved.
Over and out.:-)
Hermann

Icefreez

Post by Icefreez »

Thx for the solution I have been trying to get my search exclude back for over a year now but never figured it out :P
- Icefreez

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

Smudge wrote:Ahh. Well, that make a bit more sense now.

With regular expressions, you can include and exclude as part of the expression. This is why there isn't seperate include and exclude fields. Just seperate fields for subject and poster.

If you are not familiar with regex, just turn that option off and you will have the 4 seperate fields.
Wanted to add my bit about RegEx. You try excluding strings using RegEx, I haven't managed it. Another person I asked about it ,said it couldn't be done. If this is true, the removing of the exclude box was a mistake.

I know this an old thread, and my message isn't exactly on-topic, but still.....
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

I'm not sure what version of RegEx is being used but I could exclude files but I never could get the exact expression to find the files I was testing.

RegEx is really for those very experienced with them and not for a newbie but just having the options is a nice feature.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

Any regex-guru who knows the syntax to exclude a string? (if possible)
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

Smudge wrote:I'm not sure what version of RegEx is being used but I could exclude files but I never could get the exact expression to find the files I was testing.

RegEx is really for those very experienced with them and not for a newbie but just having the options is a nice feature.
I once thought I knew how to exclude a string, but later experiments proved me wrong, I can exclude characters or ranges of characters but not strings. Oh and I'm certainly no Guru on this, I experimented a bit, that is all. Currently I have regex disabled, maybe I'll experiment some more in a not too distant future.
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

enderw

Post by enderw »

HI,

This may be a little off topic, but perhaps it could help...

I use a program called Directory Opus http://www.gpsoft.com.au/ as my file manager. Very powerful. The reason I bring this up is because with this program you can show a hide and show filter box on the toolbar if that is what you want. Both boxes use the regular expression syntax. Perhaps you can have something similar for NL. You can have 2 search boxes, one for show and one for hide and be able to use the RegEx syntax. Granted you will still have the 2 search boxes, but perhaps this could be something that could be easily done. I have been doing some searching around on the net for RegEx syntax, and none of the websites I have visited mention anything about excluding a selectrion from displaying.