Vote a Feature

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.

What feature would you most like to see implemented into NewsLeecher?

Header download scheduling
25%
Download speed scheduling
10%
Plugin / Scripting support
20%
Check for new newsgroups
5%
Receive custom header range
6%
Secure Socket support (SSL)
4%
No pausing when saving large articles to disk
23%
Complete hotkey customization
7%

Total votes: 775

Spiril
Site Admin

Vote a Feature

Post by Spiril » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:32 am

Please vote for the feature you would first like to see implemented into a future release of NewsLeecher.

Note:
Full text reader support isn't on the list as it is already scheduled for the v4.0 version.

And automatic PAR / RAR handling isn't on the list either, because a needed PAR DLL interface is still to be released by the QuickPar Author. When it gets released, I'll start working on the integrated PAR support.

If I forgot to put an important feature on the list, just let me know :)

<pre>Edit: 22 Sep 2005
-----------------</pre>
Just added to poll:

* Complete Hotkey Customization

Notes:

* Enhanced Virtual Groups Support:
Will be implemented in a v3.x point release.

* CRC Checking / Better Incomplete Download Handling:
Better handling/checking of incomplete articles will be implemented in an upcoming v3.x point release.

* About the 'Per Server: Age limit' request:
This feature will be pretty quick to implement. I'll put it into a future v3.X release.

* About the 'Local Search' request:
I'm afraid I won't be able to make local search much faster than it is right now, using the Virtual Groups / Local Filter technique. The reason SuperSearch is so fast, it because it runs on dual processor server (soon to be multiple servers) using several GBs of memory to store the article info.
But I'm sure I can refine the 'Virtual Groups / Local Filter' technique quite a bit, to squeese some extra performance out of it.

* About 'Download small files first' request:
I'll get that implemented in an upcoming v3.x release.

Cheers
Last edited by Spiril on Mon May 28, 2012 9:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

HY

Post by HY » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:52 am

Spiril,

Hmm i'm uncertain... is actual download schedualing apart of either of the two schedualing entries or is it seen as a seperate thing again? I'd expect Download speed scheduling and the schedualing of actually downloading at all would be tightly intergrated into one feature (if that makes sense).

Cheers

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:06 am

HY wrote: I'd expect Download speed scheduling and the schedualing of actually downloading at all would be tightly intergrated into one feature (if that makes sense).
Yep, same thing.

But instead of just an ON/OFF bandwidth switch, I'm thinking about making the download speed scheduler work with percentage of the max bandwidth speed.

This means that you will be able to setup NewsLeecher to download with, lets say, 30% bandwidth capacity during workhours, 90% at night, and so on.

The Header Download Scheduler is used to setup NewsLeecher to auto-fetch newsgroup headers at specific time intervals.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

newsman

Re: Vote a Feature

Post by newsman » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:10 am

Spiril wrote:If I forgot to put an important feature on the list, just let me know :)
Spiral buddy... I think it is really nice you have always given the user/customer a voice in shaping the product.

I'm sure whatever the final outcome is, we will all get the piece we want. I didn't vote yet cause I was wondering if perhaps you might add to your poll an extra item labeled "local search optimization"
(a new spin on the fast/optimized header cache searching asked ages ago for)

Basically it would be working to improve the local searching abilities of NL in terms of speed of returning stuff like you did with SS. One example would be the current method of doing a global search vs a optimized method. Current method involves activating all... not many of us that like to keep headers can handle that.

I feel you gave us a great feature with virtual groups but we cannot fully exploit it's full potential cause the local headers search aka filtering is too weak to deal with all the headers virtual groups brought.

Plus if worked out the optimized local searching it would go very well with your Full text reader support later for power searching.

Just an idea... see this thread my post on page 2 after vgroups was implemented:
viewtopic.php?t=6049

About 70% voted for some way of improving it. 58 votes total so fairly good numbers.

If not adding... everyone knows what feature I will vote for. Hint it involves time frames and stuff lol !!!

Thanks for considering happy coding!!

Creatof

Post by Creatof » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:21 am

I can't choose between these 2 options:
No pausing when saving large articles to disk
Plugin / Scripting support

Fogo

Post by Fogo » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:05 am

No pause would be nice but it's not that much of a problem.

I mostly use NZB files and I personally would like a feature to set the an age limit on a server, if the post is older than the servers limit then NL shouldn't even bother checking if a post is there.

My ISP server only has a retention of 5-7 days. There is no point in using resources checking for a post that is 15 days old.

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Fogo wrote: I mostly use NZB files and I personally would like a feature to set the an age limit on a server, if the post is older than the servers limit then NL shouldn't even bother checking if a post is there.

My ISP server only has a retention of 5-7 days. There is no point in using resources checking for a post that is 15 days old.
NZB files do have a date/time field, but it isn't reliable. Different timezones or misconfigured servers can cause the date/time to be wrong. The only other way to know if the post is on the server is to check.

And as far as my vote goes, I'd like to see Spiril incorporate multithreading. I think it would lend support to other features yet to be added.

techfuzz

polpolik

Post by polpolik » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:06 pm

All of the features listen in the poll would definitely be nice to have but does it mean if it doesn't win the poll, it won't get implemented or it just means it'll be pushed back to later release dates?

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:58 pm

Voted for the "no pause" option. Newsleecher just needs to be multithreaded, so the earlier it's implemented the better.

But before introducing new features wouldn't it be better to completely finish the virtual groups? I consider being able to customize download folders and servers etc per (virtual)group to be a key feature for virtualgroups which isn't currently available. Also (afaik) crosspost checking isn't available either.

Also "custom keyboard shortcuts", "CRC checking" (although this is already partially in place) and a better auto-save mechanism for the queue (and perhaps also the cache) might be nice additions to the list.
polpolik wrote:All of the features listen in the poll would definitely be nice to have but does it mean if it doesn't win the poll, it won't get implemented or it just means it'll be pushed back to later release dates?
I don't think frequently requested features will be dropped just because they lost one poll ;)

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:03 pm

polpolik wrote:All of the features listen in the poll would definitely be nice to have but does it mean if it doesn't win the poll, it won't get implemented or it just means it'll be pushed back to later release dates?
My understanding is that this poll is for the feature to implement *first*, so it shouldn't mean that the other features will not be implemented at all due to their popularity in this poll. A feature could be very popular, but from this poll it could easily appear that the feature is not popular at all. From Spiril's first post in this thread:
Spiril wrote:Please vote for the feature you would first like to see implemented into a future release of NewsLeecher.
Spiril, one feature not mentioned here is enhanced incomplete multipart post handling (I guess this could be considedered multiple features wrapped into one). This would include leaving the problem posts in the Queue, marking them as partially downloaded (also in the Active Group window), and a means of showing which segments have not been downloaded.
This could be extended to the handling of posts that have errors (leaving them in the Queue, marking them, showing the error details).

AFA the one feature in this poll, I will have to go with making the file joining and saving multi-threaded.
dwazegek wrote:But before introducing new features wouldn't it be better to completely finish the virtual groups? I consider being able to customize download folders and servers etc per (virtual)group to be a key feature for virtualgroups which isn't currently available. Also (afaik) crosspost checking isn't available either.
I agree. I would definitely like to see the group options available on the group and virtual group levels (this includes user specified dl folders).
The duplicate posts showing in the vgroups definitely needs to be fixed.
dwazegek wrote:Also "custom keyboard shortcuts"
You betcha!
dwazegek wrote:"CRC checking" (although this is already partially in place) and a better auto-save mechanism for the queue (and perhaps also the cache) might be nice additions to the list.
Yes to both. The error checking I also mentioned above.

Edit: edited to include replies to dwazegek.

--
Lips

jlu

Re: Vote a Feature

Post by jlu » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:27 pm

newsman wrote:perhaps you might add to your poll an extra item labeled "local search optimization"

Basically it would be working to improve the local searching abilities of NL in terms of speed of returning stuff like you did with SS.

I feel you gave us a great feature with virtual groups but we cannot fully exploit it's full potential cause the local headers search aka filtering is too weak to deal with all the headers virtual groups brought.
Yes this is the feature I too was looking for. I voted for it in the other thread. Maybe we can put it in as a write in candidate!!! I'm old school I like keeping headers and browsing it unlike most here. Many of you never see this issue cause all you do are NZBs, newzBin and super search. Anyone here try and activate many virtual groups with many headers and try and filtering with the filter options. It is a pain and slow. Most people in the community look at NL as a warez app not a true client. Adding the full text support and better client searching would be in favor of making leecher more legitimate imo.

Does it not bother anyone here that Super Search is running from a server from places unknown and can exceute powerful searches in milliseconds however we can't even search our own big header virtual groups effectively..... anyone???
dwazegek wrote: But before introducing new features wouldn't it be better to completely finish the virtual groups? I consider being able to customize download folders and servers etc per (virtual)group to be a key feature for virtualgroups which isn't currently available.
Exactly!!!

Agent as bad as it is at least does this decent. Multiple servers can be assigned to individual groups. So that you can be sure that headers and bodies for a group will be pulled only from servers that you know carry the group. Currently leecher is too dumb to know this. It just goes blindly through all your servers until it finds out which one of your servers carry the group all the while generating errors in the log about how the group don't exist on your other servers. Very ineffecient approach that seems like it could be solved from what you say. I agree with what you say about virtual groups it was the new feature and it wasn't even really cleaned and polished up and already dev is moving on to new fluffy features.... Does the dev just get bored and like working on new stuff and don't like to fix existing stuff?

It's fine if this is the case if leecher is free. But if you have people paying for stuff you owe it to them to see your features through to completion before moving on.

DutchLeecher

Post by DutchLeecher » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:13 pm

How advanced is the plugin/scripting support going to be?

Can we add custom toolbars and/or buttons? Do we get full access to supersearch, xpat search, download of headers and the header database?

For example is it possible for a plugin to
- start newsleecher
- search the supersearch/XPAT search
- examine the supersearch/XPAT search results
- add a selection of the results the download queue.
Last edited by DutchLeecher on Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:01 pm

techfuzz wrote:
Fogo wrote:I mostly use NZB files and I personally would like a feature to set the an age limit on a server, if the post is older than the servers limit then NL shouldn't even bother checking if a post is there.

NZB files do have a date/time field, but it isn't reliable. Different timezones or misconfigured servers can cause the date/time to be wrong. The only other way to know if the post is on the server is to check.
Ok, but an option to have NL not check a specific server for any articles over x amount of days old is still a valid request.
Fogo requested this in relation to nzb files. This request is valid for any article, not just articles imported to the Queue from nzb files.
jlu wrote:
newsman wrote:perhaps you might add to your poll an extra item labeled "local search optimization"

Basically it would be working to improve the local searching abilities of NL in terms of speed of returning stuff like you did with SS.
Yes this is the feature I too was looking for. I voted for it in the other thread.
Sure. I agree. A fast search of the local headers (group cache) would be great.
jlu wrote:Most people in the community look at NL as a warez app not a true client.
Well, this is quite a statement. NL is a binary grabber (Am I wrong that this is what you are referring to when you say “NL as a warez app”?). I do not agree that a bin grabber is not a true client. Seems to me that it is pretty well known that NL is bin grabber. But, unlike you, I cannot speak for "Most people in the community".
jlu wrote:Adding the full text support and better client searching would be in favor of making leecher more legitimate imo.
Full text support is on the Road Map for v4. Better searching would be welcome.
Anyways, thanks for letting me know that NL is not really legitimate, or needs to be made more legitimate. I did not know this.
jlu wrote:Agent as bad as it is at least does this decent. Multiple servers can be assigned to individual groups.
Yes, another feature that I hope will eventually make it into NL. I see this as the ability to detach servers from a newsgroup/virtual group along with the ability to re-attach the servers. For me, this is not of the highest priority, but would be a nice feature to include in NL.

--
Lips

killbill

Post by killbill » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:37 pm

Spiral I don't think I'd really notice or use any of those features. But I don't want to throw my vote away. Can you add to the poll an option for "Custom hotkeys". I would very much like that feature and would vote for it. There was interest and much debating in this poll:
viewtopic.php?t=5622

On page 2 somebody made a nice prototype that I like. I'm not ashamed to say I think the screen shot made is super sexy!!!

Please add.

T2k

Post by T2k » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:49 pm

Spiril wrote:
HY wrote: I'd expect Download speed scheduling and the schedualing of actually downloading at all would be tightly intergrated into one feature (if that makes sense).
Yep, same thing.

But instead of just an ON/OFF bandwidth switch, I'm thinking about making the download speed scheduler work with percentage of the max bandwidth speed.

This means that you will be able to setup NewsLeecher to download with, lets say, 30% bandwidth capacity during workhours, 90% at night, and so on.

The Header Download Scheduler is used to setup NewsLeecher to auto-fetch newsgroup headers at specific time intervals.
I voted for plugin/scripting support because not only all these things can be done that way but even other, new features, sparking new external plugin development.
_________

by T2k!