Vote a Feature

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.

What feature would you most like to see implemented into NewsLeecher?

Header download scheduling
25%
Download speed scheduling
10%
Plugin / Scripting support
20%
Check for new newsgroups
5%
Receive custom header range
6%
Secure Socket support (SSL)
4%
No pausing when saving large articles to disk
23%
Complete hotkey customization
7%

Total votes: 775

Ironside

Post by Ironside »

We need another poll option.

"tick this box if you are running a pirate copy of newsleecher"

I know with newsbin you can't get to certain forums without first entering your license key. After all, why should they vote on what is needed for newsleecher unless they want easier cracking :-)

Regards, IS

FuzzyDog

Post by FuzzyDog »

The biggest issue with Newsleecher for me is while downloading from a virtual folder group, not being able to leech smart to a directory named the same as the virtual group by default.

Example. Say you have twenty newsgroups in one virtual group. You spend the day downloading multiple files but end up having to search 20 different groups for all of your new downloads, whether you leeched or leeched/smart, instead of opening a directory named the same as the virtual folder and seeing all of your smart leeched folders located in one place there.

This seems like it would be a priority enhancement to the existing virtual groups as right now you see all the newgroups in one place but your downloads go all over the place. Perhaps make "leech smart to virtual folder" an option?

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips »

FuzzyDog wrote:Perhaps make "leech smart to virtual folder" an option?
Sure. And this would be overridden by the (hopefully still) future feature of user specified directories on the group and per group levels.

--
Lips

downloadenator

Leech (smart, paused) and Leech (smart, first, paused)

Post by downloadenator »

Would be absolutley fantastic, time-saving additions.

TIA for the consideration

Downloadenator

glitter

Post by glitter »

Please remove this stupid pause ! -I can't believe this pause hasn't been removed before. (And the Bandwidth Graph is 'conveniantly' on pause too, so that it will be like there is no pause -I call it a temporary hangup- at all !)

downloadenator

Re: Leech (smart, paused) and Leech (smart, first, paused)

Post by downloadenator »

downloadenator wrote:Would be absolutley fantastic, time-saving additions.

TIA for the consideration

Downloadenator
I didn't read the posting quidelines first. Sorry for the redundancy.

Crusader

Post by Crusader »

How about an option where NewsLeecher checks automatically how many par2 blocks are needed after downloading the main parts, download the needed par2 blocks and optionally repairs it itself or by launching quickpar. I know another newsreader has this feature and it would be timesaving (at least for me) when I don't have to check this kind of things anymore.

I know this means a lot of extra work, but maybe for a version 4.x?

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

This will be implemented when/if the Quickpar author releases his par3.dll
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

Ward

Post by Ward »

glitter wrote:
Please remove this stupid pause ! -I can't believe this pause hasn't been removed before. (And the Bandwidth Graph is 'conveniantly' on pause too, so that it will be like there is no pause -I call it a temporary hangup- at all !)
What exactly is this pauze?

I obviously voted for Scheduled Header Updating, cause I've nagged about it before. I love these customer input polls :)

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

It is this freeze in the graphical interface and the pause after downloading an article when decoding and saving it. Newsleecher does not show this pause because of the freeze in the graphical interface, but it is there.
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

turnipy

Post by turnipy »

header downloading scheduling!!!! This would be sooooooooo useful!

solentufo

Great!

Post by solentufo »

I voted for Header download scheduling but I would like to see one thing in future versions. A search filter in the "Download Queue" section. It would be extremely usefull to me because sometimes I want to search for a specific paused par file among thousands of other queued files.
Thank you very much! :idea:

largeguy

Post by largeguy »

I am a long time user but I saw this poll so I want to get me 2 cents in. I voted for header scheduling. I am surprised there is even a vote on the matter as it has been determined many times that this is the feature the users would like.

Now as far as the no pause file poll item. I am very surprised indeed that anyone voted for it. I have never experienced whatever that is or it's so subtle that no one cares... cause I have never seen anyone begging for that item in these forums. Something looks funny with that item.

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius »

I hate to spoil the fun for people, discussing options that maybe 3% of the users will ever appreciate, but I'd just like NL to:
1) Stop crashing when downloading headers & files simultaneously. It happens less than before, but it's still there lurking.
2) Stop hanging on parts which the server says are there, but won't serve them up to the program. If you download articles from GigaNews that are 51 days old (their upper echelon of retention), then when files are said to be there by the server, but actually aren't will hang NL when the number of files "incomplete" on the server equals your number of threads.
3) At some point, unknown why but it happens more at that upper echelon of retention, but also during other unknown error conditions, the program will only download 1/2 of the file before giving up and moving onto the next one. This, in turn, fills up your C: drive fast, and you're stuck with about 100 incomplete files. Closing NL then restarting NL will fix the program, and NL will then complete the 100 incomplete files.
4) Install a "save incomplete" option on the right-click menu, so that when a file DOES get stuck, you can still save the incomplete file without having to find C:\Program Files\NewsLeecher\temp\{parts}\xxxxxxxx\bin (guessing only from the number of parts the file SHOULD have), then combining them with a DOS "copy /b" command.

Again, I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but until v3.1 handles incomplete files better (and not those incomplete in the header listing, but rather incomplete while downloading) ... aka "bug fixes" ... then adding all this proposed fluff doesn't make my life easier by any measure.

rally

New feature

Post by rally »

I chose for the "No Pause between saving large articles".

I would like to see the continuity of the downloads increased, rather then scheduled headers.
Until a few weeks ago, scheduled header downloads were indeed my number one request, but since I discovered the powerfull SuperSearch function, I don't need to download headers anymore :D

And in case the SuperSearch function does not work, or it cannot search enough back in time (GigaNews has 50+ days retention), I can always download headers for just the required group.