Vote a Feature

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.

What feature would you most like to see implemented into NewsLeecher?

Header download scheduling
25%
Download speed scheduling
10%
Plugin / Scripting support
20%
Check for new newsgroups
5%
Receive custom header range
6%
Secure Socket support (SSL)
4%
No pausing when saving large articles to disk
23%
Complete hotkey customization
7%

Total votes: 775

Devices

Re: Remote control of Newsleecher

Post by Devices » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:53 pm

Bubbi wrote:My request is not on the poll, but i hope it will be considered as a possible new feature as it is a feature i look forward to.

I would like to have some kind of remote access to my newsleecher. This way I can control newsleecher, which is running on my home computer through any computer running the newsleecher interface (newsleecher client) that looks exactly like newsleecher, but is only a client that hooks up on the server (the normal newsleecher) application and from there, transfers most of the information between client and server, of course, still saving as much as possible bandwidth.

I got the idea from the filezilla application (filezilla.sf.net) that I also use through a remote client.

Then if i find an .nzb file that i would like to download from home, i click on a the link on the website, it opens in the newsleecher client and transfers all the data to the newsleecher server, which then begins the download..

This should be useful for usage over both LAN and WAN..
fx. a local computer that has no screen, but only used as a fileserver.
Over the LAN i simply save the NZBs to a folder on the newsleecher machine that news leecher is monitoring. I also set up FTP server software so i can simply FTP the NZBs to the same dir if i am on holiday etc.

This is the simplist form of remote access. Then if i need to actually work on the NL interafce i use PC Anyhwere for full desktop access. I have also use the windows built in remote access but i did not like that as much as PC Anywhere.

ejk

Post by ejk » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:53 pm

just for the record, I voted for "No pausing when saving large articles to disk" because it suggests implementing multithreading, which I think should be a priority

NL runs okay for me as things are, but I think multithreading will make things a lot smoother and more stable in general

--

HardHouse

Post by HardHouse » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:27 pm

id like to be able to specify the temp dl folder coz im not saving files on my C drive but on D and this slows down the saving process coz the temp files are on C so they have to be copied wich takes more time

Thurston

Feature Request: Reset received total on a particular date

Post by Thurston » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:49 pm

This might be possible already but I can't find a way to do it...I get 10GB/month through my news service starting on the 20th of every month. I would like to be able to schedule Newsleecher to reset the received total in server manager automatically so I know how much I've downloaded for that month.

Is there a file that keeps track of these totals that I could scheule to be deleted? How about a registry key?

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:00 am

Weetje wrote:id like to be able to specify the temp dl folder coz im not saving files on my C drive but on D and this slows down the saving process coz the temp files are on C so they have to be copied wich takes more time
You can only do that through a workaround, it is not an option in Newsleecher, read this thread
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

Enzomatrx

Re: Remote control of Newsleecher

Post by Enzomatrx » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:03 am

Bubbi wrote: I would like to have some kind of remote access to my newsleecher. This way I can control newsleecher, which is running on my home computer through any computer running the newsleecher interface (newsleecher client) that looks exactly like newsleecher, but is only a client that hooks up on the server (the normal newsleecher) application and from there, transfers most of the information between client and server, of course, still saving as much as possible bandwidth.
I just use Remote Desktop that is a part of Windows XP and log onto my desktop remotely and run newsleecher via that.

Make sure you have a password set in Windows of course (and changing the port doesn't hurt, but that's a registry edit) for good ol' security purposes.

Shuugo

Post by Shuugo » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:25 pm

You can use a unofficial PAR2 dlls instead the Quickpar ones..
Sourceforge Link PAR2 Search

showdeed

Post by showdeed » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:41 pm

i voted for header scheduling. looked nifty to me. nough said.

blue_dragon

Post by blue_dragon » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:04 pm

Smudge wrote:Ward: This problem greatly depends on the speed of your computer and hard drives. When downloading 50MB rar files NL always pauses when i'm using my laptop (P3@1.2GHz and 4200RPM HDD) but doesn't even hiccup when downloading on my desktop computer (P4@3.2 and 10kRPM HDD).

So not everyone will see this problem. Having plenty of free space and a defragged HDD will help a lot.
Hell, I have a 2.93Ghz machine with 7200RPM drives and I still get the pause on anything over about 20MB or so. I'm sure my virus scanner doesn't help matters much, but it's still damned annoying.

clubbtraxx

Post by clubbtraxx » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:23 pm

Weetje wrote:id like to be able to specify the temp dl folder coz im not saving files on my C drive but on D and this slows down the saving process coz the temp files are on C so they have to be copied wich takes more time
Actually I think it shouldn't take more time, because your C drive can keep reading and D keep writing at the same time (if on separate IDE ch ofcourse) Try unpacking a large archive on the same disk or unpacking an archive to another drive. You should see that the latter is faster.
Same thing is true for NL saving parts, well at least it is for me but I'm using SATA and FC RAIDs...

CT

turnipy

Threaded article view

Post by turnipy » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:47 am

This isnt part of the poll but I wanted to make sure it hadnt been forgotten about:

From Roadmap:
Version 4.0: + Threaded article view. (both for text articles and for binaries)

In other words: If a movie was posted in 50 rar files. It would be great if you could minimise that all into one line (with the usual + and - button).

Eg.
[+] Some block buster movie (50files, 715mb)

expands to:
[-] Some block buster movie (50files, 715mb)
Some block buster movie.rar
Some block buster movie.r00
Some block buster movie.r02
Some block buster movie.r03
etc

This would make viewing new headers so much easier and faster.

Thanks

Smudge
Site Admin

Re: Threaded article view

Post by Smudge » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:09 am

turnipy wrote:This isnt part of the poll but I wanted to make sure it hadnt been forgotten about:
Not forgotten at all. In fact, discussed at length with multiple format suggestions.

EDIT: Doh! Forgot to add the link to the thread
Last edited by Smudge on Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lips
Forum Moderator

Re: Threaded article view

Post by Lips » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:37 pm

Smudge wrote:
turnipy wrote:This isnt part of the poll but I wanted to make sure it hadnt been forgotten about:
Not forgotten at all. In fact, discussed at length with multiple format suggestions.
turnipy - This is definitely not forgotton. As you already know it is on the Road Map and scheduled to be added into NL.

--
Lips

delta7

Post by delta7 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:35 am

I've voted for the Download speed scheduling because this seems to be a high priority with a lot of UK ISPs at the moment. Many ISPs want you to limit downloads during peak times of say 6pm to midnight but are fine fot full speed downloads overnight.

As more and more ISPs introduce this regime newsreaders with no scheduling will be left for ones that offer this feature even if they are not as versatile as Newsleecher.

Other features in the vote list would be welcome but there would be no point in making them if ISPs kicked you off their network because you were using too much bandwidth because you forget to limit the max download speed.

thany

Post by thany » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:10 pm

Why not implement all these features?...