Standalone / non-install version

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.
Robbie

Standalone / non-install version

Post by Robbie » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:10 pm

See title ^_^

This will be great, scenario:

1 - Enter your high-school with a 1000mbit connection.
2 - Mount urself behind a fast pc ( a 4 ghz, 2gig ram wil do )
3 - Plug in your usb2.0 uberleet 500+ gig ext. harddrive.
4 - ** run newsleecher without install ** <-- important part ( cause you can't install progs on school pc's )
6 - Connect with your favorite usenet server
7 - while(hd != full){ leech(); }
8 - leave school happy for once.

Robbie.

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:31 pm

1. Not going to happen.
2. Registry access absolutely required.

techfuzz

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:40 am

There is nothing in the NewsLeecher application stopping this from happening (all configurations are stored in the Newsleecher\data\ directory instead of the registry) but the registry (and installation of software) is needed for the copy protection shell used.

When Silicon Realms makes a U3 version (standalone, non-install) of their Armadillo protection then this will be possible. There have been minimal discussions of this in their own support forums but I haven't seen it going too far so don't expect it any time soon.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

]x[

Post by ]x[ » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:40 pm

Think different:

- Install OS on USB Stick
- Install nL on that OS
- Login to school network
- Plugin the 500GB extern HD
- Leech Away \0/

shrimpcrackers

Post by shrimpcrackers » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:57 am

I would pay double, triple, even quadruple for a U3 version of NewsLeecher. I don't care if I'd have to login though a browser or jump through some hoops just to get it, it would simply be convenient. I use many computers and I don't want to install NewsLeecher on all of them. I'd prefer just one setting.

carus

Post by carus » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:33 pm

Hi!
I just like to second that the possibility to run Newsleecher on a u3 usb stick is on top on my wishlist. If then Extreme movie manager also went portable all would be swell :D

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:52 pm

I have run NL after a clean system install without installing it. I moved it to a different partition and all my settings and data were kept. I did have to enter my registration key again though. Perhaps if that can be saved in a file like some games do instead of the registry, than this option is possible. Although I wonder where NL stores the registration key. I can't find it in the registry editor.

Grinch843

Post by Grinch843 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:36 pm

Sasquatch wrote:I have run NL after a clean system install without installing it. I moved it to a different partition and all my settings and data were kept. I did have to enter my registration key again though.
This is the way I've been running NL for some time now, havn't had a single problem with it.

blue_dragon

Re: Standalone / non-install version

Post by blue_dragon » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:14 pm

Robbie wrote:See title ^_^

This will be great, scenario:

1 - Enter your high-school with a 1000mbit connection.
2 - Mount urself behind a fast pc ( a 4 ghz, 2gig ram wil do )
3 - Plug in your usb2.0 uberleet 500+ gig ext. harddrive.
4 - ** run newsleecher without install ** <-- important part ( cause you can't install progs on school pc's )
6 - Connect with your favorite usenet server
7 - while(hd != full){ leech(); }
8 - leave school happy for once.

Robbie.
How about actually doing what you are supposed to be doing at school? Like getting an education. Then when you grow up, you can get a good job so you can pay for your own fast internet connection.

blue_dragon

Post by blue_dragon » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:17 pm

Grinch843 wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:I have run NL after a clean system install without installing it. I moved it to a different partition and all my settings and data were kept. I did have to enter my registration key again though.
This is the way I've been running NL for some time now, havn't had a single problem with it.
Yes, this works, but as soon as you enter that key, NewsLeecher writes to the registry, which probably isn't going to be possible for someone using a locked down school computer. For that matter, if the network admins are smart enough to lock down the registry, then they are most likely smart enough to block access to port 119 , so no usenet access anyway.

coooljono

Post by coooljono » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:46 am

blue_dragon wrote:For that matter, if the network admins are smart enough to lock down the registry, then they are most likely smart enough to block access to port 119 , so no usenet access anyway.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Tiggzz

Post by Tiggzz » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:28 pm

I asked about a U3 version, a long time ago. My U3 pen goes every where with me, the only bad thing is I really must upgrade it to a 4gb version, 1 gb is just too damn small!!

Is there anyway that a U3 key can be uniqely identified? If this was possible, then maybe the security/reg of NL could be linked to this.

The program always goes online to verify the genuine serial yeah? Well surely it could verify the serial with the key ident at the same time. Allow say per registration, 1 u3 version.

I know myself when I go somewhere and you get asked to d/l something for someone or your doing work on their computer etc, you have to mess about installing, getting a key, then removing the software. It's a pain, but it's plausible. On a work netowrk etc were you don't have the admin rights, this isn't possible.

I don't know what the registration security is for FlashFXP but they have released a U3 version now, which is well handy as the options for ftp and fxp were very limited on u3 previously.

There is alot of regged software avail for U3, and some of it is up to $100

I'm not alone out there, that is for sure.

Personally, I would even pay more to have both versions.

Cheers

Tiggzz

Tiggzz

Newsleecher On A USB pen really works

Post by Tiggzz » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:50 pm

And it's registered!!!!

After some random trawlling and reading, I stumbles across a thing called ceedo, the site reviewing it were not really impressed, and stated pretty much that U3 was better. They reviewed v2.0. I have just installed v2.1 on my non U3, 6gb wd pen drive.

I then installed their add on, which enables non protable apps to be installed onto the portable drive. The ceedo structure has %user% / program files and a registry.

I have just tried NL on a clean installed pc, via the now ceedo enabled drive, it works the same way as a U3 pen, put it in, autoruns a menu from systray.

I went to programs, loaded straight away, and then used supersearch no problem at all

When a program is running in a ceedo environment it has a red border around the windo, so you know which version you are using. I have set my ceedo nl, to d/l to a ceedo dir. so I can use it anywhere fully.

Boy I'm happy :)

ceedo can be installed on a U3 pen :)

the downside? $30 for ceedoo, and the add on for non ceedo programs is $30 also. So it's just cost me $60 for NL on a pen, I did say I'd pay.

It's all about the easy life ;)

NL on a pen, almost as exiting as 3.9 b1 :)

Cheers

Tiggzz

ranova

Re: Standalone / non-install version

Post by ranova » Sat May 12, 2007 9:14 pm

blue_dragon wrote:How about actually doing what you are supposed to be doing at school? Like getting an education. Then when you grow up, you can get a good job so you can pay for your own fast internet connection.
How about you stop trolling and think outside the box. You have a large portable hard drive and want to bring it to a friend's house, and do not want to redownload, install, etc on his computer. Solution? A portable version of newsleecher.

cruzlee

agree

Post by cruzlee » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:55 pm

I agree. Portable is the way to go nowadays. I've seen cracked, portable versions of newsleecher floating around already. I'm actually quite sad that while I'm paying for newsleecher the copy-protection prevents it from becoming functional on a portable level.

But then again, I am tremendously happy with newsleecher.