Dead Product?

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
d3v1an7

Dead Product?

Post by d3v1an7 »

It's been 5 years since the last stable release, 2 years since the last beta, and the forums appear mostly abandoned (with the exception of spam posts keeping timestamps current). If there are any employees actually working on this product that can provide an actual update for the next version of the product which will address the hundreds of bug reports submitted via the app, please respond to this post. Otherwise, I'm going to cancel my subscription and look elsewhere.

bowie

Re: Dead Product?

Post by bowie »

Same thoughts here.
I am a member for several years but at the end of this month I am going to review my subscription.
2 months ago I asked them, in an email exchange with support@newsleecher.com, if they could provide more frequent information about progress and possible problems.
The answer was: "I will tell the team about updating users more frequently - news and new versions."
So far, that promise has come to nothing.
As writen above, I give them till the end of this month.

d3v1an7

Post by d3v1an7 »

It's very telling that there are no developer or even employee responses to this post. I think we can call this confirmed.

Taomyn

Post by Taomyn »

Yeah I think you are correct, I have cancelled my sub now

Gaelmart

Post by Gaelmart »

Who else would you recommend.?

bowie

Post by bowie »

Update.
Busy with other things the last few days.

I send them a mail on 25 Jun 2021 at 11:58.
----Hello,
PROGRESS?
If you have promised something, you must keep it.
You wrote, "I will tell the team about updating users more frequently - news and new versions."
When you're talking to the Team, I hope you're not looking in a mirror.
1. There hasn't been a new Final Release for a long time, Years.
2. No new Beta for almost 2 years.
3. Bad performances of SuperSearch. It seems that not much is found anymore. Look at this thread https://www.newsleecher.com/forum/viewt ... 10&t=36010
4. There is also a lack of response to other threads on the forum.
5. Spam in the forum.
6. Paying for something whit no progress.
All these points made me decide that the money tap will close at the end of the month.
A member shortly after the start in 2002, so almost 20 years of using NewsLeecher, I am going to say goodbye to NewsLeecher.
I received the same day response from Scuba on the email.
no news no -
i have sent your email to the owner of newsleecher. We are sorry to lose you as a member. We hope you will return again in future
Regards, Scuba NewsLeecher Email Tech Support
It was short and actually saying a lot.

Today I stopped the payment.
If big positive things happen I may decide to start using Newsleecher again.
Now the added value is no longer there.

antoninb111

Post by antoninb111 »

As a tool strictly to index, tag and download from subscribed newsgroups, NL is fine, even though it has not been maintained in a very long time. For that functionality, you don't need to pay a dime.

For anything else, there are better tools.

It is clear that the owner and others who have maintained NL have moved on, as actions / inactions speak louder than words. I have also moved on.

d3v1an7

Post by d3v1an7 »

There's only two real benefits that I've found to NL and that is SuperSearch and SuperLeach.

Back before they finally added the de-obfuscate feature to the search, I signed up for a site named nzbgeek.info. They index newsgroups and de-obfuscate the posting names so that you can see what's really there. You can download the nzb file from that site and import it into your downloader.

The only functionality that I haven't found a replacement for is SuperLeach. So far, I haven't found a good alternative for that functionality. I'm searching regularly for an alternative though.

antoninb111

Post by antoninb111 »

NZBGeek is an awesome site. I use it with SABnzbd.

Rashomon

Post by Rashomon »

As a NL user for longer than I can remember I too am disappointed in the follow up.
NL has a nice big button to refresh news that hasn't been updated since OCT 22, 2020.
Next time I submit an anonymous bug report I will comment on how I think it happened.
I suggest everyone do the same and state: "LACK OF DEVELOPER INTEREST"
There is always more than one viewpoint in a multidimensional world

Tuinpad

Post by Tuinpad »

Gaelmart wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:14 pm
Who else would you recommend.?
Newshosting, they have their own download software and with their own "Supersearch"
it finds more then Newsleecher but both find different stuff.
Got this deal for $17,- for 1 year all included and VPN to
they go 4700 days back in time and that's enough for me, no complains

rmhochman42

Post by rmhochman42 »

FYI - 2 weeks ago I sent a "Trouble report" to Support. Her it is with Scuba's reply (12 days later), and my reply back to him,

ME -
On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 06:08, Robert M Hochman <support@newslME - eecher.com> wrote:
Many uploaders now seem to be using a new obfuscation method. This may account for many of the complaints in the forums recently that many files are missing. When will Newsleecher be implementing new de-obfuscation method to deal with this change? Until you do, you risk loosing a fair number of customers?

SCUBA -
Mon, Jul 26 2021 - thanks for your email. i did send it to the dev. and they confirmed : "Supersearch still works but yes something has changed towards deobfuscation has changed" .they are working on this to be fixed very very soon.

ME -
Mon, Jul 26 2021 ., as it stands, there are already other Usenet providers (and indexing sites) who are up on the new obfuscation methods, which seriously erodes Newsleecher’s current value. In addition, other providers have also incorporated a search tool in their proprietary clients (using the new de-obfuscation methods), something that up until recently was mostly unique to Newsleecher. I strongly suggest that the developers come up with a good estimate as to when this situation will be rectified and that it be reported in the STATUS. The user base will no longer be satisfied with “We’re working on it”, and then see another year go by. Quite frankly, I suspect the remaining die-hards like myself will seek greener pastures within another month. The comments in the forums make it clear that many users feel that between the deobfuscation and feed problems, and the ongoing frequent extended down times , that Newsleecher is not delivering the promised service, and will not be willing to pay for it much longer

antoninb111

Post by antoninb111 »

In my experience, Scuba et al are primarily acting as apologists, with no real commitment or plans to do anything. With no releases or updates in more than a year, this is a dead end product. I've already moved on to greener pastures.

moveon

Post by moveon »

why do people still pay for this ????
there is free indexers better.

cheezhed

Post by cheezhed »

moveon wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:24 am
why do people still pay for this ????
there is free indexers better.