Why the hell do my downloads pause?

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
smsmasters

Why the hell do my downloads pause?

Post by smsmasters »

I have a VERY fast computer, it is a pentium d 930 4 ghz x2 dual core (I overclocked it), 1gb ddr2 667mhz ram, 300gb sata II HD and an adsl2+ connection at around ~17 MBits. I can download at around 1.8 mb/s max.

Why on earth do my downloads just pause? I have to restart NL everytime! I've had so much problems with NL I may just go back to newsbin, at least it worked... :shock:

elite

Post by elite »

have you tried the non-beta version - that is the v3.0 final? That is very stable and works nicely.

unfrostedpoptart

Re: Why the hell do my downloads pause?

Post by unfrostedpoptart »

smsmasters wrote:I have a VERY fast computer, it is a pentium d 930 4 ghz x2 dual core (I overclocked it), 1gb ddr2 667mhz ram, 300gb sata II HD and an adsl2+ connection at around ~17 MBits. I can download at around 1.8 mb/s max.

Why on earth do my downloads just pause? I have to restart NL everytime! I've had so much problems with NL I may just go back to newsbin, at least it worked... :shock:
I'm not sure if you are referring to what I get all the time: When I have a big, multi-part download going I'll check the queue and see several parts frozen at 98%. However, instead of quitting and restarting, I've found that just hitting f8 (connect/disconnect) a couple of times clears it up.

Don't know why, but I wish it would get fixed!

David

Reefke

Post by Reefke »

I had the same problem, that's why I went back to 3.5 beta 2.
All later beta's are very unstable IMO.

To me it looks like the author wants to add new features instead of fixing bugs... But new features also means new bugs.

Squidge

Post by Squidge »

You have a fast computer, but your RAM is letting the side down. Upgrade to 2gb and you should see the problem go away

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

I have to confirm that.

My scenario:
Four (free) servers at priority 1 (retention: few days).
Two (less expensive) servers at priority 2 (retention: 20 days).
Two (more expensive) server at priority 3 (retention: 30-60 days).

In many cases downloads don't jump from 1 to 2 priority, they just stay with "priority 1" and try continuously to download.

I also discovered that setting "max server retention" is simply ignored. I set it '9 days' for my "priority 1" servers, and NL is still trying to download even if a file is 40 days old...

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

Sparrow wrote:I also discovered that setting "max server retention" is simply ignored. I set it '9 days' for my "priority 1" servers, and NL is still trying to download even if a file is 40 days old...
This is a known bug
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.