Newsleecher stops and tells me that there is no space

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
pka4916

Newsleecher stops and tells me that there is no space

Post by pka4916 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:25 am

I'm having a problem with NL latest version

Every time NL stops if I get below 30 Gb for some reason..

I've set the option to Pause when i have 1 Mb left.. tried it up to 1000 Mb
it all doesn't matter.

NL is installed on my C Drive and has 61 Gb Left.
All my downloads are going to the E Drive that has right now 30 Gb left

When I close NL, and start it again, then it will work for another 1 Gb..
until I free up my E Drive.. then it will run again.

Can't I just disable the whole Pause option.. cause this is really annoying.
I have plenty of space, so it never should stop.

I tried previous Beta's and the latest final , and same problem..

3.6 or 3.7 is working just fine... everything above is failing.

Tried new installs.. also did a new windows install.. it all doesn't matter.

Using Windows XP SR2
No Virus Scanner, No Nero Scout running....

Andre

Post by Andre » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

How odd, I was just about to report the same sort of problem (although not just with the latest beta, it's also happened to me with the current Final version too).

I had set NL to download about 8GB of queued files and left it to run overnight with the 'Shutdown when queue finished' mode enabled and plenty of drive space available. No PAR2s were queued so the auto-repair feature was not in use at the time.

When I came back to the PC this morning, NL had downloaded everything and was showing an empty queue (apart one from incomplete item which I had manually paused last night), along with a prompt saying:

Error: Unable to save download article to disk.
Reason: This disk is probably full. Free up some space and try again.
Note: The transfer queue has been paused.

The "Pause" button near the top of the NL window was indeed activated. However, as NL had finished all its required downloads, this prompt obviously should not have appeared. I checked and both my download drive and my system drive each still had over 6GB of space on them (nothing was in Recycle).

When I then clicked on the OK button, NL correctly continued to save all its various settings and cleanly exited, and then the PC shut down just as it should have done last night. That wasn't quite the point though.

Andre
(WinXP SP2)

pka4916

Post by pka4916 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:35 am

@#$@#$@#$ it happened again

Did AGAIN a new PC install.. only NL is on it.

C Drive 76 Gb Free
D CD ROM
E Drive 153 Gb Free

All downloads goes to E:

And the message came up again..... Disk Full bla bla bla

Please fix it or put a option in the new version to disable it..
another whole day wasted, since it failed after 1 hr.

Hecks

Post by Hecks » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:39 am

It's difficult to know what exactly the bug is here, as i've never seen this reported before. If it was a generally reproducable bug, I'm sure the forum would be flooded with similar complaints.

I can only think that there's something amiss on your system. Have you formatted as NTFS or FAT32? Is any quota management enabled on your drive(s)? Is write-caching enabled? Any RAID settings? Have you tried changing the size of your page file? Disabling recycle bin? Stuff like that. But I'm reaching here ...

-Hecks

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:13 am

Only time i've seen it happen consistantly is when using the When Empty option to shutdown.

I believe it is due to Newsleecher telling the PC to shutdown but then is trying to save the cache files/configs/etc but gets an error due to the PC shutting down. Then Newsleecher hangs the shutdown procedure because of the error.

Another user asked to have the When Empty shutdown option to have a 30-second countdown in case you are still using the PC and could stop it. This would also allow Newsleecher to save it's files during these 30 seconds. Let hope Spiril either adds this feature or reprograms NL to do all it's quit procedures then tells the PC to shutdown (or both)
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

Andre

Post by Andre » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:42 am

It happened to me again yesterday - NL got to the end of a 15GB download and then reported a disk space error instead of shutting down. This does seem repeatable, but only with the "Shut down when empty" option turned on.

When you click on the OK button, Newsleecher only then starts to write the remaining cache files, etc, so it may not have even started to do so when the error appears.

What I did notice this time is that the final file in the download batch, although it had cleared from the queue area so NL thought it was done, was not fully complete on the disk (instead of 100MB it was about 95MB). Of course this may have just been a coincidental news server issue as a couple of other parts were incomplete too.

NTFS file system, oodles of free disk space on all drives, no quota management set, recycle bin is turned on but is empty. There is no system reason I can think of for such a disk space error, it must be something odd going on in NewsLeecher. I wonder if it's worth adding some very simple diagnostic info to the 'Disk Space error' dialog box - perhaps a 'Details' button which could show the filename and path that caused the error and what amount of disk space NL is requiring and what it has been told is currently available?

Whatever, it definitely does need fixing.

Andre

pka4916

Post by pka4916 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:59 pm

yes, I am using the Shutdown option when done downloading.
and it does look that the queue is empty.

although 1 time, there were still files sitting there.

Hecks

Post by Hecks » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:26 pm

OK, so then problem solved. Since the Shutdown when Empty option doesn't work properly with RnE anyway, just stop using it until Spiril provides a fix. In the meantime, let Windows do the power management, or use poweroff.exe:

http://users.pandora.be/jbosman/poweroff/poweroff.htm

Or to quit Newsleecher 5 mins after downloading has finished, check 'Enable Info File' in Options > General, and run this batch in the background:

@echo off

:check_download
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 60 -w 1000 >nul
find "<cur_bps>0</cur_bps>" "C:\nl.xml" >nul
if %ERRORLEVEL%==0 goto :shutdown_NL
goto :check_download

:shutdown_NL
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 300 -w 1000 >nul
taskkill /t /im newsLeecher.exe
exit

You can also call poweroff.exe from a batch file like this to shutdown the PC itself.

-Hecks

Andre

Post by Andre » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:02 pm

Many thanks for the advice.

I can't speak for the other poster, but I rather wanted the "Shutdown when Finished" option to actually work, rather than to write a batchfile as a workaround. If leaving an unattended batch running, I'd turn RnE off anyway. Could you confirm this is being treated as a NL bug for fixing ASAP?

Andre

Hecks

Post by Hecks » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:04 pm

I can't confirm anything, as I'm just an ordinary punter like yourself, trying to find constructive ways of working around bugs until Spiril fixes them. You'll need to ask Spiril yourself. I actually prefer using this batch file (with poweroff.exe) because 1) when hotkeyed, it's quicker to start than choosing an option from the pull-down menu on the queue tab, and 2) it allows me to hibernate the PC after downloads are complete, which NL can't do. Sorry if I wasted your time.

-Hecks

Andre

Post by Andre » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:31 pm

No, sorry, thank you for your time.

I must admit the hibernate option of the process you described had already occured to me as something potentially useful. I just prefer to keep purchased GUI programs and hacked batchfiles separate where possible... :)

Andre

Hecks

Post by Hecks » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:54 pm

Andre wrote:No, sorry, thank you for your time.

I must admit the hibernate option of the process you described had already occured to me as something potentially useful. I just prefer to keep purchased GUI programs and hacked batchfiles separate where possible... :)

Andre
Lol, batch files are just bog standard manual commands automated to run consecutively, it's perfectly normal to use them like this, not 'hacking' at all. The most stable and reliable scripts you can run on XP, IMHO ... but I do get your point. We'd all like to see the fixes. :)

-Hecks

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:41 am

You can sleep or hibernate using the When Empty option. Select the Run Command from the menu and enter the following string

To sleep,

Code: Select all

%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0
To hibernate,

Code: Select all

%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 1,1,0
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

Hecks

Post by Hecks » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:25 am

Hey, that's a new one, thanks! Both of those trigger hibernation on my MCE2005 system, though, I'll explore the powrprof.dll settings a bit more.

-Hecks

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:33 am

Strange as the first one (0,1,0) (or no arguments) should suspend (sleep) whereas the second (1,1,0) forces hibernate mode.

this post gives you more details.