I probably just can't find it anymore!!

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I just tested to exclude a poster, but that didn't work. At least not with -poster:name.

Dibbler

Post by Dibbler »

<groan> and I thought that it was just me that couldn't find the two filters that I normally use on the article bar.

However good the new search is PLEASE put back the options to use the previous methods to refine your article view. Why would I want that...

Because it is simple to use and it worked.

Then again I had NO problem with the easy access to the cancel all button, in the queue window.

Is it possible to install the beta 1 over beta 2 and would it then work ok...? Or where can I find my config data so it will save my preferences, groups and server settings etc etc if I have to remove the beta 2 first...?

jenjay

Re: min size/max size

Post by jenjay »

dkauger wrote:We have also lost the ability to filter by min size and max size. I use this to filter out garbage which is usually about a million small files.
PLEASE put the adv filter option back.

dak
I totally agree, this was so useful to me for the same reason as you, and if it doesn't come back into a later update I might just revert to an earlier version. For me, this has made using NL a total pain!

jenjay

Post by jenjay »

LotusFire wrote:dkauger,

It's still possible, but it's done within the quick search field...

for example...

jpg minKB:256 maxKB:1024

- T
Yeah, OK, but I found the old advanced filter much more user friendly and hate thie fact it has now vanished

jenjay

Post by jenjay »

Oscar99 wrote:Please get the old situation back. This is not a user friendly feature
Agreed!

jenjay

Post by jenjay »

Dibbler wrote:<groan> and I thought that it was just me that couldn't find the two filters that I normally use on the article bar.

However good the new search is PLEASE put back the options to use the previous methods to refine your article view. Why would I want that...

Because it is simple to use and it worked.

Then again I had NO problem with the easy access to the cancel all button, in the queue window.

Is it possible to install the beta 1 over beta 2 and would it then work ok...? Or where can I find my config data so it will save my preferences, groups and server settings etc etc if I have to remove the beta 2 first...?
I too thought I had gone blind (or just plain stupid!) when I couldn't find an option to turn the advanced filters on <sigh>

It wasn't broken, so why try and fix it ... just not user friendly now :( I agree about the cancel button, never gave me any problems before ... not that it matters because that one is easy to find, although it means one extra mouse click.

I too would like to be sure it was possible to revert to beta 1 until we get back the advanced filters we know and love ... better watch this space!

Dibbler

Post by Dibbler »

I agree about the cancel button, never gave me any problems before ... not that it matters because that one is easy to find, although it means one extra mouse click.
I understand what you mean. At least I wish it was an option to just put the cancel all button back where it was. I know it is only another click to drop down the menu but it it also another inconvenience that I just don't want.

I do wish that Spiral would post his intentions of what he wishes to remove or change before they were implemented.

Just please put back the advanced filter options where they belong, on the article bar.

JMark

Post by JMark »

An update: in a binary group, type in a quick filter, say "maxdays:1"... mark a few posts old and see what happens. The filter goes away! So now you have to go back to select your filter from the drop-down, mark a few more posts, old, select the drop-down and so on.

I am a great fan of selectivity. I continue to support the idea of retaining the former advanced filter options, but including the new Quick Filter capabilities.... the best of the best worlds.

Thanks
Last edited by JMark on Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

LotusFire

Post by LotusFire »

Yeah, I was trying to exclude a poster, but it doesn't work...

Ken Schram

Post by Ken Schram »

i will give my left... no, both my walnuts for the advanced search filters to be returned.

i feel like i am slowly slipping away without those filter boxes... i may walk into the light at any moment.

return..... return... ... .

Djs

Post by Djs »

I also find the advance filter invaluable.
Use it mainly for the Poster incl. function, for when I'm sorting for articles from a particular poster.

Please can we have it back.

grimlock72

Post by grimlock72 »

Putting old stuff back won't improve anything, just reverse the change and people don't like change ;-)

Having said that, it IS more typing to select the last '1 days' which I use frequently 'cos I clicked on the empty part of the grouplist again and thus unloaded the newsgroup making 'show new only' useless for that group ;-)

Being able to store search strings would be usefull, provided they can be recalled easily, something like x:1 for stored-search 1 or such.

nichiren

Post by nichiren »

enderw wrote:I agree, it should be brought back. I find it easier and quicker to use. Set whatever adv filters you want, then you can simply use the filter box to sift through the results. Easier than typing a name, then adding the min and max days, realizing u searched for the wrong thing and have to type in that big long string all over again. I do not see it as being more powerful at all. Just more cumbersome and time consuming.
I agree, removing the adv search filter was a big mistake!

I was using the min & max days option all the time,
as it is/was such a usefull tool -
now i really regret installing beta 2, because the new search functions really is awful to use...

Please release a beta 3 asap, so we have back those beloved adv search functions..

[feeling really dumb to have installed beta 2 now :cry: ]

Ken Schram

Post by Ken Schram »

you can do as i did and uninstall beta 2 and then reinstall beta 1.

i did that for the sole purpose of getting those filter boxes back.

nichiren

Post by nichiren »

Well then i reverted back to beta 1,
can't do without the advanced serch options.

hopefully beta 3 will be more interesting :?