3.9 beta 2 bugs

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
Sasquatch

Re: Strange Error Messages After Closing NewsLeecher

Post by Sasquatch » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:00 am

AfghanEB wrote:Here are a couple of error messages that just popped up moments ago after I attempted to close NewsLeecher v3.9 Beta 2.

I took these screen captures so that the exact error codes are shown.
What did you do to produce these error messages? What was NL doing? Check your RAM with Memtest86+ (www.memtest.org). Burn it to a cd or use a floppy, boot from it and let it run for a couple of hours. That you have a fault at a memory address could happen several times if you have bad RAM.

Ken Schram

Post by Ken Schram » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:32 am

fdekker wrote:2 bugs:

Situation 1:
In queue 4g of downloads, diskspace free 6g. Option shutdown computer when complete activated, repair N extract enabled

Problem 1: With Repair N extract enabled it gives the notice: too little diskspace on the extract destination drive/folder. Once i clicked this away (6 hours later) my windows shutdown. Please, dont block the shutdown cycle.

Situation 2:
4g to be extracted/repaired, diskspace free 8.1g (delete some files because disk was full).

Problem 2:
The message: too little diskspace on the extract destination drive/folder keeps popping up and disables RepairNExtract. With the 8g available diskspace it can easily repair and extract, but it doesn't

Greetz, keep up the good work =)

I'm reading this "bug" in a few different places here. Let me ask you this... what is the number of MB listed in your Options before the Pause/error goes into effect? I'm thinking this option not only pauses on downloading but also extracting. If you have 4GB to extract and 8.1GB of space, then I can see where it would bomb out if you have something like 1000MB entered in that Pause option box. (look in your Options under Download)

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:05 pm

That might be true, but I just downloaded something that would, when extracted, get my hard drive below the noted space of the options and it extracted just fine. I did get the message that my disk space is lower then entered in the options so it went to global pause, but I didn't get a message from R'n'E. It must come from somewhere else.

TheGreatOne

Re: Bring back the Advanced Article Filter Bar

Post by TheGreatOne » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:27 pm

Morlar wrote:I'm going to say this is a bug, because it was dumb to remove a really useful thing:

BRING BACK THE ADVANCED FILTERING BAR FOR ARTICLES!!!

I'm not going to sit and type Max Min blah blah blah every time i just want to filter a view. Leave the new search syntax, but bring back the bar too!
I agree, BRING BACK THE ADVANCED FILTERING BAR FOR ARTICLES!!!

Just like XPAT search, usefull features are removed, or made dificult to use.

So, please BRING BACK THE ADVANCED FILTERING BAR FOR ARTICLES!!!

Thanks,

Tim

JIcemanL

Article Tab Filter Bug

Post by JIcemanL » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:23 pm

Filter gets ignored when deleting from filter result.

To Reproduce:
Open a group with articles.
Apply a filter that will have multipe results (.part in any group with many rar files will do nicely)
select one of the articles in the result and hit the DEL key to mark it old.

What happens:
Entire Article Set is returned (minus the atricle you marked old).
To re-apply the filter you must enter the filter box and alter the data somehow.

What is expeceted:
Article marked old should be removed from filterset and remaining items should still be displayed. If last item from filterset is removed, the article list should be empty.

Version 3.9 beta 2
Binaries - checked
Text - checked
Incomplete - checked
Leeched - checked
Old - unchecked

JIcemanL

Can anyone Verify this behavior?

Ken Schram

Post by Ken Schram » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:29 am

Sasquatch wrote:That might be true, but I just downloaded something that would, when extracted, get my hard drive below the noted space of the options and it extracted just fine. I did get the message that my disk space is lower then entered in the options so it went to global pause, but I didn't get a message from R'n'E. It must come from somewhere else.

FWIW, I queued about 15.9GB of downloads this morning and let it automate with RnE while I was away at work. The available space was ~28GB. I came home to find the "the queue has paused due to disk space blah blah" message. However, when I checked the progress and queue, I found that everything had extracted perfectly and that I had 6.8GB of space left over. There was nothing left in the queue.

It definitely smells like a bug... but perhaps one of those garden friendly bugs that just jump on you every now and then to freak you out... but don't cause any harm. :)

Greenman

Post by Greenman » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:22 am

May be it's also possible to build in a 'unpause option' if there is back enough space after a pause because lack of disc space.

Bugs:

-I get an error: Access violation at address 0058DCF9 in module 'newsLeecher.exe'. Read of address 0000002C

-I can't minimize my newsleecher windows anymore

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:08 am

Ken Schram wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:That might be true, but I just downloaded something that would, when extracted, get my hard drive below the noted space of the options and it extracted just fine. I did get the message that my disk space is lower then entered in the options so it went to global pause, but I didn't get a message from R'n'E. It must come from somewhere else.

FWIW, I queued about 15.9GB of downloads this morning and let it automate with RnE while I was away at work. The available space was ~28GB. I came home to find the "the queue has paused due to disk space blah blah" message. However, when I checked the progress and queue, I found that everything had extracted perfectly and that I had 6.8GB of space left over. There was nothing left in the queue.

It definitely smells like a bug... but perhaps one of those garden friendly bugs that just jump on you every now and then to freak you out... but don't cause any harm. :)
I forgot to mention that my space DID get below the set limit. That at least works like it should. The R'n'E bug message is something else. Where it comes from is unknown.

grimlock72

Post by grimlock72 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:24 am

The bug with non-rar files getting removed from beta1 is still there. What happens is;

1. files (set of mp3, with par2 for verify only) are downloaded, par2 checks OK
2. NL concludes there is nothing to extract, this is correct
3. NL copies the downloaded files to somewhere, no idea WHY because *I* didn't set a different extraction dir, nor do I intend to.
4. NL removes downloaded files from originally downloaded location

The problem is that NL assumes that your download directory is different from the extraction directory. It only does that for non-rar downloads but the results are destructive.

Either NL shouldn't assume such things, OR it should enforce/check them. It's a silly bug which was reported numerous times for beta1 so I don't follow why it wasn't fixed??

NL has no business removing non-par2 files in a non-rar situation. For step3 it should just remove all the par2 files, step4 should handle the OPTIONAL moving of files to a different directory.

(and the Copy of such files should be checked better 'cos I doubt a FileCopy('downloaded/hello.mp3','downloaded/hello.mp3') will return without an error)

redbarron

Post by redbarron » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:15 am

The cookie liscence bug I described on page one of this thread was still bugging me so I decided to hack up a fix. I share it here in case anyone else has this issue with ie 7 and winxp. Oh yeah if you have no troubles at all already with your system then goodie gumdrops for you!

Findings:
Within IE cookie folder there are two files in question.
C:\Documents and Settings\yourprofilename\Cookies\
The files are named similar to this where the zeros is some constant number.
Index_00000000.dat
IndexIE_00000000.dat

These two seem to be needed for newsleecher to work. Because if they get deleted liscence key re entry is required at least for me. Also if you make them read only newsleecher with error out in an endless loop on startup. So obviously when I clean my cookies these also get deleted.

Solution:
Keep a copy of those files and restore them if they are missing. I hacked up a bat file to launch NL which that does this. First you make a folder named cookies in C:\Program Files\NewsLeecher\. Then place the two files in that folder. Then you paste the below in a text file and save it as whatever.bat. Then you make a shortcut to the hacked up bat file that will insure that the files are in the IE cookie directory no matter if you delete all your cookies. In the below snippet replace "yourprofilename" with your information. Also replace 00000000 with the your information.

Code: Select all

@echo  off
set cookie1="C:\Documents and Settings\yourprofilename\Cookies\Index_00000000.dat"
set cookie2="C:\Documents and Settings\yourprofilename\Cookies\IndexIE_00000000.dat"
set iecookiefolder="C:\Documents and Settings\yourprofilename\Cookies\"
set cookiecache="C:\Program Files\NewsLeecher\cookies\"
set newsleecher="C:\Program Files\NewsLeecher\"
if exist %cookie1% if exist %cookie2% goto fileexists
goto nofile
:fileexists
START %newsleecher% /normal newsleecher.exe
goto  end
:nofile
copy %cookiecache% %iecookiefolder%
goto end
:end

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:57 pm

redbarron wrote:The cookie liscence bug I described on page one of this thread was still bugging me so I decided to hack up a fix. I share it here in case anyone else has this issue with ie 7 and winxp. Oh yeah if you have no troubles at all already with your system then goodie gumdrops for you!

Findings:
Within IE cookie folder there are two files in question.
C:\Documents and Settings\yourprofilename\Cookies\
The files are named similar to this where the zeros is some constant number.
Index_00000000.dat
IndexIE_00000000.dat

These two seem to be needed for newsleecher to work. Because if they get deleted liscence key re entry is required at least for me. Also if you make them read only newsleecher with error out in an endless loop on startup. So obviously when I clean my cookies these also get deleted.

Solution:
Keep a copy of those files and restore them if they are missing. I hacked up a bat file to launch NL which that does this. First you make a folder named cookies in C:\Program Files\NewsLeecher\. Then place the two files in that folder. Then you paste the below in a text file and save it as whatever.bat. Then you make a shortcut to the hacked up bat file that will insure that the files are in the IE cookie directory no matter if you delete all your cookies. In the below snippet replace "yourprofilename" with your information. Also replace 00000000 with the your information.

@echo  off
set cookie1="C:\Documents and Settings\yourprofilename\Cookies\Index_00000000.dat"
set cookie2="C:\Documents and Settings\yourprofilename\Cookies\IndexIE_00000000.dat"
set iecookiefolder="C:\Documents and Settings\yourprofilename\Cookies"
set cookiecache="C:\Program Files\NewsLeecher\cookies"
set newsleecher="C:\Program Files\NewsLeecher"
if exist %cookie1% if exist %cookie2% goto fileexists
goto nofile
:fileexists
goto  end
:nofile
copy %cookiecache% %iecookiefolder%
goto end
:end
That piece of code for your script can be much simpeler. Keep the folders as they are, but do the following:

cd "c:\program files\newsleecher\cookies"
xcopy  /d c:*.* "c:\documents and settings\<username>\cookies"
"c:\program files\newsleecher\newsleecher.exe"
The xcopy /d command will make sure that no newer files will be overwritten when you copy the files. If the files don't exist, it will copy them.

Fluclo

Problems with 3.9 Beta 2

Post by Fluclo » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:05 pm

Since installing Beta 2, having some major problems.

Program keeps crashing, generating one of those email alerts (sent off). However, I'm finding that the Repair and Extract, which worked great in Beta 1, now doesn't work at all.

To add problems, I found that it totally reset all my preferences on one restart of the program

Finally, has anything changed with SuperSearch? I keep getting a 'try again in 30 minutes' message. Must happen every other attempt at the moment.

Erikro

Post by Erikro » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:12 pm

Just joined again for a year because of the auto repair option only to see it doesn work. :roll:

If i dload all the files including all the pars it works, but when i set all par files to pause and checked "unpause par files when needed to repair" nothing happens.

I hope there will be a new beta soon with this solved becuase now i need to dload 20% exra not needed files

Erikro

Post by Erikro » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:26 pm

Repair and extract don't allways work. They come in a loop when the added files are cbr mpg, avi, ts, mpeg, pdf, etc.

If you add a par2 file, it gave some strange kind of errors in the log file, it tries to initialyse 20 times a second but nothing gets repaired or extracted.

RaE only works good when the added files beside par2 files are rar files, in all other cases a loop / deadlock is the result.

See for more specific info this topic.
viewtopic.php?t=13345

I wonder what happens if i dload a dvd (rars) and there is also a jpg and sfv file added, will it then also enter a loop of no return :-)

ps it would be nice if this good be fixed soon becuase it renders NL useless when entering al loop.

Hecks

Post by Hecks » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:03 am

@Erikro

It was reported and logged a while ago for 3.9b1 that RnE couldn't handle non-rar split files - see the first post of the other thread. It's Repair and Extract and not Repair and Join, after all. Nevertheless, I'm sure it will be added eventually.

Sample avis, jpegs, mp3s, nfos, sfvs etc etc all work fine if the extract folder is not set to be the same as the download folder.

-Hecks