3.9 Beta 4 bugs: List them here

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
TheGreatOne

3.9 Beta 4 bugs: List them here

Post by TheGreatOne » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:48 pm

Before posting a problem with this release, please check the Known Bugs list.

So far in brief test ß4 does not seem to be as "buggy" as ß3 was, however like ß3 it does creat a duplicate desktop icon for NL.

Tim

Hecks

Post by Hecks » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:23 pm

1. When I click the Additional Filters button on the Super Search tab, I now get this error:

Bug Data1:
kjdfahh3

Bug Data2:
'' is not a valid integer value

2. The Subject Filter box on the SS tab remains invisible at 800x600 resolution, i.e. drops off the right, can't be selected with 'More' arrow. This would be easily solved if the toolbar elements were movable or resizable.

3. Right-click context menu still not working properly in Explorer tab.

etc.

-Hecks

eriji

Post by eriji » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:58 pm

When I first started up 3.9b4 I tried typing in the Supersearch box and for every letter I would type, I got the same error (kjdfahh3
'' is not a valid integer value)

A
I could clear the error and then type another letter, and the error would reoccur.
Goto A

When I finally pressed enter, I got an error that the Supersearch number of days was in error (it was blank)

I fixed that and then the search worked ok.

Cannot reproduce error now.

Master Chieftec

Post by Master Chieftec » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:10 pm

Wow, is Spiril back from vacation or something? :D

Thanks, font issue with Office 2007 is fixed.

Kegger_CDN

Post by Kegger_CDN » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:28 pm

thanks that did it for me too - after I sent 2 bug reports which you have just pointed out. Setting the max days indeed fixes the problem on beta 4.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:02 am

All themes do work, however, upon program restart, the default theme is set again. It doesn't remember the set theme.

The bug report in SS is a one time happening on some systems. I don't get the report anymore. I think it has to do with the set days in SS. If it's blank, then the bug will be triggered and since it remembers for how many days you search, it will only happen once if you set the days after the error.

In the Articles tab, there is a visual bug that was also there in b3. See attached image:
The buttons show on the extender menu, while there is enough space to place them. In 3.9b2 this wasn't a problem. In 3.9b3, when the option was used, the button got placed right after the activate/deactivate button, leaving the seperator in the extender menu. The problem is in the seperator.

Updating headers while global pause is on, won't update headers as it was in previous versions. You have to unpause, causing the queue to resume and download a few parts before the update process starts.

TheGreatOne, for your 'problem' about the duplicate icon, that is an installer issue and location of your existing shortcut. The installer places the icon on the All Users desktop, if you have a shortcut on your personal desktop, you will see a duplicate. If you use the All Users icon, there won't be another one because the old one will be overwritten.

I think that topics like this one should be a standard sticky when a new version is released. Kind of like a known bug list, but only for what exists in that version.
Also, before posting here, make sure the bug isn't already on the Known bug list.
Fill in your bugs so NL will get better.

TheGreatOne

Post by TheGreatOne » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:34 am

Sasquatch wrote:TheGreatOne, for your 'problem' about the duplicate icon, that is an installer issue and location of your existing shortcut. The installer places the icon on the All Users desktop, if you have a shortcut on your personal desktop, you will see a duplicate. If you use the All Users icon, there won't be another one because the old one will be overwritten.
NL did not do it with ß2 and NL 3.8.

Tim

Photon Buddy

Access Violation

Post by Photon Buddy » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:13 am

When I run 3.9b4, I get several errors, all saying the same thing. Cancelling them leaves Newsleecher running, but they pop-up quickly again.

The error is:

Access violation at address 00000000. Read of address 00000000

Doing just about anything gives me this error.

I upgraded from 3.8 b8 to 3.9b4.

I installed 3.8 final and it appears to be working fine.

dju123

Post by dju123 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:47 am

Bug Data1:
kjdfahh3

Bug Data2:
'' is not a valid integer value
Like Hecks, I repeatedly encounter a serious problem with 3.9beta4. Whenever I begin typing into the SuperSearch Subject Filter, the application throws an "application bug has occurred!" dialog with details as shown in the above quote.

Because of this, I am literally unable to use SuperSearch at all. SuperSearch is what brought me from NewsBin Pro to NewsLeecher. So please help!

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:32 am

Make sure the number of days to search is set to a valid number. The error '' is not a valid integer value happens when the day is set to nothing somehow.

You can also try quitting NL then deleting any SS configuration files like filter_ssResultFilter.dat, filter_ssSearchString.dat, and lvSSearch.dat.

If those don't do it, delete the general settings file setup.dat.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

bigal

Post by bigal » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:39 am

I'm still having the bug with downloaded headers not showing when activating a group. I've purged the caches of groups in case there are any hangovers from B3.

If I update a group, it displays that it is downloading the headers, if I click on that group to activate it while it is updating it shows the headers as they download, Once finished it shows the whole update.

HOWEVER, if I activate another group then go back to this one, it loses all those updates. I've selected to display old/text/etc files and there is nothing the group is empty. Interestingly when I purge a group affected by this sometimes it says that it has purged a file size that would be expect, sometimes it says the file size is only a few k when it should have been at least 100s of k.

I'm using Vista X64 if that makes any difference

Also:

When moving from one group to another the it doesn't display the group from the top but maintains the position it was in the group before. ie if there are two equal sized groups, if I'm halfway down the list of headers on the first one then activate the second it displays the second one halfway down the header list. I reported this _years_ ago and it still isn't fixed - how hard canit be to reset the position down the list when you activate a new group?

Another problem that I keep having, and has also been reported several times by other people, when downloading headers if the connection hangs (as it seems to a lot more frequently in the past few months with newsleecher) then the header download is reset, so you only have an incomplete update. This seems to be better than it was before but it is still resetting with the new beta.

Both of these problems happened on my old xp X64 computer and my new vista x64 one.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:50 am

TheGreatOne wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:TheGreatOne, for your 'problem' about the duplicate icon, that is an installer issue and location of your existing shortcut. The installer places the icon on the All Users desktop, if you have a shortcut on your personal desktop, you will see a duplicate. If you use the All Users icon, there won't be another one because the old one will be overwritten.

Tim
I know. It is still an installer issue I think. However, when I just booted my computer, I noticed another NL icon on the center of my desktop, which I didn't see after I installed b4 (could have missed it completely though). I don't have any icons there, so NL must have put it there. When I looked at the properties, I saw it was on my personal desktop, not the all users one where my usual icon was. This issue can be fixed pretty simple, make an option in the installer to create a desktop icon. And while Spiril is at it, make the option about the start menu aswell. Some people like their start menu clean and keep the icons on the desktop/quicklaunch, thus clogging the start menu unneeded.
Fill in your bugs so NL will get better.

TheGreatOne

Post by TheGreatOne » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:22 pm

Sasquatch wrote:
TheGreatOne wrote:

Tim
I know. It is still an installer issue I think. However, when I just booted my computer, I noticed another NL icon on the center of my desktop, which I didn't see after I installed b4 (could have missed it completely though). I don't have any icons there, so NL must have put it there. When I looked at the properties, I saw it was on my personal desktop, not the all users one where my usual icon was. This issue can be fixed pretty simple, make an option in the installer to create a desktop icon. And while Spiril is at it, make the option about the start menu aswell. Some people like their start menu clean and keep the icons on the desktop/quicklaunch, thus clogging the start menu unneeded.
He is using an odd installation package, "Inno Setup - A powerful script based freeware installation builder with Delphi source available. By Jordan Russell" - see http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

The is not the "Installshield Standard" that most commercial applications ahear and conform to, as it handles MSI3.X/4.X correctly for Microsoft application certifcation.

Tim

dju123

Post by dju123 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:43 pm

Smudge wrote:Make sure the number of days to search is set to a valid number. The error '' is not a valid integer value happens when the day is set to nothing somehow.

You can also try quitting NL then deleting any SS configuration files like filter_ssResultFilter.dat, filter_ssSearchString.dat, and lvSSearch.dat.

If those don't do it, delete the general settings file setup.dat.
Thanks! I just deleted the entire /%appdata%/newsleecher/ folder, and then it worked fine.

enderw

Post by enderw » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:07 pm

i am still having issues with RNE since the last beta...

I have the options set to extract to the same folder as the files, yet it always extracts to a folder called EXTRACTED.

If i download a set of MP3s and it has nothing wrong with them, and I have Par2 files in the queue, it will verify the files, create a folder called EXTRACTED, and makes a complete copy of all the MP3s into that folder. In essence I now have the files in there twice. in the root folder AND in the EXTRACTED folder.

This behavior only started up since i installed b3