3.9 Beta 6 bugs: List them here

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
TheGreatOne

3.9 Beta 6 bugs: List them here

Post by TheGreatOne » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:38 am

Still getting that "extra" desktop icon with installing this beta (ß6), as I did with ß3 through ß5 prior.

Further back this was not an issue with NL, as it is not an issue when upgrading other appplications, thus it has to be some new code in NL.

Tim

TheGreatOne

Post by TheGreatOne » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:57 am

This version is "defective" as have been most of the betas as of late. Now I can not get a KEY to work, because Simion changed the format, and the fetch KEY is not in the new format.

Does ß6 "work", or is it a "private beta"?

I have managed to revert back to ß5 that is somewhat "stable".

Tim

Smudge
Site Admin

Re: 3.9 Beta 6 bugs: List them here

Post by Smudge » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:36 am

TheGreatOne wrote:Still getting that "extra" desktop icon
As mentioned in another thread, the installer now installs the NL shortcut icon in the All Users desktop. If you have an extra one, that is on your personal desktop and should be deleted.
TheGreatOne wrote:Now I can not get a KEY to work
Make sure you have selected the 3.9 beta 6 key on the key request page.

Also make sure you have selected all the text of the key, this includes the -----License Key Data------ lines at the top and bottom of the key.

For details of the common problems, please read the License Key FAQ in the forums at viewtopic.php?t=11694
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

TheGreatOne

Re: 3.9 Beta 6 bugs: List them here

Post by TheGreatOne » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:54 am

Smudge wrote: Make sure you have selected the 3.9 beta 6 key on the key request page.
Did so several times . . .

Smudge wrote: Also make sure you have selected all the text of the key, this includes the -----License Key Data------ lines at the top and bottom of the key.
Yes I noticed that this "defect" is in the "copy & past" . . . This "defect" should be corrected before final release.

Smudge wrote: For details of the common problems, please read the License Key FAQ in the forums at viewtopic.php?t=11694

From above link:
Smudge wrote: Version 3.8b7 thru 3.9b5
Version 3.8 beta 7 uses a completely different key system. These keys are about 24 lines long that begin and end with --------(LicenseData)------- lines. You MUST include these LicenseData lines when you paste the registration key.
So is it -----License Key Data------ per above in this message or is per your FAQ link in the referenced URL --------(LicenseData)-------??? :?

I tried the DUTCH version (--------(LicenseData)-------) and it did not work, now I will try the ENGLISH version (-----License Key Data------) :roll:

As you can see we have an "issue" here . . .

Thanks,

Tim

TheGreatOne

Post by TheGreatOne » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:23 pm

Today, I get a "message" when I attempt to FETCH the KEY, one I do not receive last night when I did obtain the KEY.

Please renew your NewsLeecher license to
get access to this release of NewsLeecher.
Your current license expired for new
upgrades on this date: 2006-07-03.

This message is “ridiculous”, as I was one of the “early adopters” (early 1.0 beta program) of NewsLeecher, and we have since been “screwed” many times over by Simon, as the “focus” of NewsLeecher changed toward “profit”, and the “core” of the program changed from a newsgroup binary file downloading tool to a “search tool” with SuperSearch. Too much development effort has gone into SS, instead of what was the core program NL.

We were allow to use all download previously, and that was the “agreement” when I did purchase NL, and it would stand up in a “Court of Law”; Simon cannot change the “game” anytime he so chooses.

- The “Early Adopters” – Never Received a “Fair & Discounted” Renewal Program
- We Never Received The GigaNews Deal – Despite it was to be “For All”

Smudge, please email me a KEY privately. However I do not know how much longer I will be using NL, as NewsBin (64-bit) compiled for Vista is much faster and uses way less resources (as an example I had NewsBin license two years prior to NL, and I still can update to the latest 64-bit version!). At this point I am running multiple systems, and my primary system is still XP, as I do not yet trust Vista 100% to be a “stabile” platform.

Thanks,

Tim

Tweek

Post by Tweek » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:32 pm

In the articles tab, the 'text' checkbox does nothing, and the tooltip that pops up when you hover over it references an options menu that doesn't exist anymore (the same tooltip is also on the binaries checkbox).

Tweek

Rambitology

Post by Rambitology » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:06 pm

Tweek wrote:In the articles tab, the 'text' checkbox does nothing
Yeah, I was wondering whatever happened to the filters. I noticed NL is much more responsive, but I guess that's why -- there don't seem to be any active. :) Here's hoping there's a way to keep or recover all those filters I designed over the last couple years...

JohnNL

Post by JohnNL » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:49 pm

The "poster filter" in Articles doesn't work for any boolean type logic such as AND or OR. Last release it worked was 3.9 beta 1 using the vertical bar.

Now you can't do any kind of OR searching (client side).

viewtopic.php?t=13943
Last edited by JohnNL on Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koogle

Post by Koogle » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:22 pm

I'll tell you about a bug!!

Installing a new beta and having the hassle of updating the license, when really it probably wasn't even worth bothering with afteral.

i was hoping that pause option would have been moved in the tray menu, so it was quicker to press, than having to dig through menus to use it.

Rambitology

Post by Rambitology » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:33 am

For some reason, the new SS CleanUp button keeps resetting the search category to Main.

BigTastyBurger

Post by BigTastyBurger » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:20 pm

Repair & Extract behaviour seems to have changed to deleting every file in the folder, instead of just removing the archive and par files.

Very annoying wondering where several gigs of stuff has gone only to find it sitting in the recycle bin.

Also had an out of memory crash last night - rolling back to beta 5.

Hecks

Post by Hecks » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:50 pm

BigTastyBurger wrote:Repair & Extract behaviour seems to have changed to deleting every file in the folder, instead of just removing the archive and par files.
Back to the 3.9b1 behaviour of 6 months ago, then ... :(

Is there any reaon why this basic functionality is taking so long to get right/fix? Other software - Wnrar, Quickpar, AutoUnpack and the like - seem to be able to manage this just fine ...

-Hecks

JohnNL

Post by JohnNL » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:22 pm

JohnNL wrote:The "poster filter" in Articles doesn't work for any boolean type logic such as AND or OR. Last release it worked was 3.9 beta 1 using the vertical bar.
Now you can't do any kind of OR searching (client side).
viewtopic.php?t=13943
Is this on the "to do" list to be fixed? Or does anyone know if the feature is or has been dropped?

padz

Post by padz » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:07 pm

Been getting this with beta 5 and also on beta 6

I have no idea why or what it means - but I thought I would report it.

Running on Windows Vista Ultimate with 2 GB of RAM
I was downloading about 8 GB of stuff and everything was done - basically I was closing Newsleecher and then this pops up...

kroot

Post by kroot » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:55 am

List of bugs in beta6:
* Famous "out of memory" bug
* Sometimes NL crashes when you are closing application - happens with beta5 too. But no data is lost.