out of memory beta 6

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
kroot

Post by kroot »

Same here - upgraded to beta6 and left computer for 6 hours.
As result i got hanged up Newsleecher that consumed 2GB virtual memory :(

BugBug-123:
* "dsaekjdslkjg".
* "out of memory".

OS - Windows XP with all SP and patches.
AMD 3800+ CPU with 1GB RAM.

I looked at history and seems that it hanged when attempted to extract 7.3GB archive.
Before that it successfully extracted 3 4.3GB archives.

Maybe it has something to do with auto updating groups - Newsleecher is setup to update every 2h news group articles and some of them are very large (like a.b.hdtv) and i have retention setup to 200days (Giganews has it now).

Dr. Grinch

Post by Dr. Grinch »

Same issue here. Only had it downloading/RnE a single 800MB set of files, no auto-updating, no funny business.
Too bad because the new RnE behaves how I would like it to almost completely, but this memory leak is bad news.. :(

TheLandYacht

Post by TheLandYacht »

Same here.

This happened while just trying to update headers. I set it to update headers (an incremental update I do a couple of times a day) & walked away (work).

Came back several hours later to locked up NL, lots of popup boxes, and had to close it with taskmanager.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Ok, I wonder one thing. Do you all have a paging file set? I, for one, disabled it because I have 3 GB of RAM. I don't have NL running for long, and I only got the error once, but there has to be some consistency here to reproduce it.
Fill in your bugs so NL will get better.

HisShadow

Post by HisShadow »

I have the same Error. Its seems like a Repair´n´Extract failure.
When I disable Repair´n´Extract newsleecher works without problems.

adrenalin

Post by adrenalin »

Sasquatch,

I've got 4Gb of RAM installed, paging file disabled. Got the problem also and it's dead easy to reproduce.

Start Newsleecher, you don't have to do anything, not even connect to your server. Watch memory usage of newsleecher in task manager with RNE enabled... It rises and rises until you get an out of memory. Now just disable RNE and it stops, start it again and the memory rises. And so on.

I've got another big issue with newsleecher that doesn't get dealt with... And now it gets even more worse... seems to me that everytime there's a new beta version, we get more bugs instead of less...

BlizzardUK

Post by BlizzardUK »

Same here, I woke up to find the same "out of memory" message as everyone else, all over the screen, this is with Beta 6. Now I notice a memory leak or something, my memory is going up by a mb every 3 seconds, it is currently on 380mb for Newsleecher, and growing every second. I am sure previous betas didn't take that much memory up when not extracting.

I have a 2gb dual core 6400 PC with Windows XP Pro.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

adrenalin wrote:Sasquatch,

I've got 4Gb of RAM installed, paging file disabled. Got the problem also and it's dead easy to reproduce.

Start Newsleecher, you don't have to do anything, not even connect to your server. Watch memory usage of newsleecher in task manager with RNE enabled... It rises and rises until you get an out of memory. Now just disable RNE and it stops, start it again and the memory rises. And so on.

I've got another big issue with newsleecher that doesn't get dealt with... And now it gets even more worse... seems to me that everytime there's a new beta version, we get more bugs instead of less...
I have had NL standing doing nothing, RnE enabled, nothing in it, nor in the download queue. Memory isn't leaking. In fact, there is no memory change at all. When RnE was extracting, NL took 60 MB of memory, 400 VM. When it was done, memory dropped by half to 30, VM dropped to 350.

martin051

Post by martin051 »

Got the same problem here on a Win 2000 Server, VM at max, had to reboot the machine etc, aat another time when newsleecher was idle I just happened to checked VM and it was at 1.5gig so a restart was used. I have also noticed pars are not removed from the queue stillif not required and the pause queue option, although chaging the status to paused does not pause.
Martin

nntp_luvr

Post by nntp_luvr »

I am finding the same memory issue with beta 6. :(

There is definitely a memory leakage in beta 6. I've used all previous betas on this Athlon64 Vista 32-bit machine and had no issues with this.

The beta 6 newsleecher.exe starts out at about 30MB memory usage on my machine. After about 5 hours, it is a over 220MB. After 12 hours it is at over 700MB memory usage! No previous version of Newsleecher ever had this memory problem.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Hmm, I ran almost all of the test versions of NL beta 6, but I got the problem only once. I had one time that memory usage went up to 350 MB, but a few seconds after I unloaded groups from memory, it changed back to normal, around 50 MB. Now with Beta 6 'final' so to say, I don't have any problems. Perhaps a reinstall on top of beta 6 (no uninstall, just install it again) could help.

I have NL minimized now, and it only uses 6 MB of memory, 53 MB VM size. No groups loaded. When I do load the groups, it goes to 70 MB with the window open, 15 MB when minimized. It varies quite a bit every now and then, but it doesn't show any memory leaks. My peak Memory Usage is 100 MB. I will leave NL open as long as my computer is on and will monitor it's memory usage.

Koogle

Post by Koogle »

well thats its Newsleecher has crashed over 4times now

very annoying.. and i did also find it crashed like captenblack screenshot too
also nl b6 starts up paused

no I don't use RnE.. well not the extract part anyway I have the rest of the options turned on though.

now I need to find out where 3.9b5 is as this is pretty bad update!

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Older version can be found at www.newsleecher.com/old

Koogle

Post by Koogle »

i managed to fine nl 3.9 b5 up on usenet so .. kinda got my old version that way.. but i shall bookmark that page.. shouldn't that page be linked from the main download page yknow for times like this
Last edited by Koogle on Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kroot

Post by kroot »

I downgraded to beta5 yesterday and all is working perfectly again for 24h of non stop work (~150GB downloaded and extracted).