out of memory beta 6

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
WhiteDog

Post by WhiteDog »

Same problem here. Will there be a new beta soon? If not i'll downgrade to beta 5.

Keep up the good work, bugs happen :)

HooGLaNDeR

Post by HooGLaNDeR »

Kansalis wrote:In fact, I just started NL back up again and immediately hit the pause button so nothing was downloaded. It is still eating memory at approximately 250Kb per second according to task manager.
Same here. It will keep consuming my memory untill its out of memory, meaning all my memory is in use.
and then i get this message :
Pavaronnie wrote:Same problem over here. Got this error:

BugBug-123:
* "dsaekjdslkjg".
* "out of memory".

After that a lot of warning boxes and the screen freezes.
Switching to the former beta version.
Then i need to kill it with the task manager.

defecat0r

Post by defecat0r »

Sasquatch wrote:Spiril and the others haven't found out why this occurs, but it seems to happen when RnE is extracting a dvd image
from peoples comments it would seem that the problem is pretty surely within the repair and extract functionality.

I have verify, repair and monitor ticked, but NOT extract and still now after having downloaded 15gig, task manager reports newsleecher as having used over 1.5 gig of memory.

Think i might try it without repair ticked to see if can narrow it down a bit more... who knows...

PS. keep up the great work with repair and extract, it's an awesome feature :)

Jatilq

Post by Jatilq »

I downgraded to b5 and its running smoothly again. I should point out the error happened when I downloaded headers, downloaded a tv show or just about any other daily task.

handofgord

Post by handofgord »

I run NL on my spare box, and I didn't really expect it to use more than the 250Meg or so of RAM it normally takes up for me. (1.8ghz Athlon, 1gb RAM)

I tend to have stupidly large download queues (400gb+) so I'm used to a bit of RAM being taken, and that's really all that box does, so I'm not bothered.

I ran into the same out of memory issue that everyone here seems to have, and I noted that the memory usage went from 250 to about 680 steady after I installed Beta 6.

I switched Paging to System Managed, and now NL hovers around 670 used no matter what it's doing (RnE Enabled) and I haven't run into the error again. It's very annoying, but not critical personally. I'd like to see RAM usage drop, and if that error happens again I'll definitely head back to B5 land.

EDIT:
Disabling RnE doesn't change the amount of RAM used. But Restarting NL after disabling RnE drops the memory usage to about 200Meg, I think I'll go back to B5 till this issue is resolved.

Wonko

Post by Wonko »

Same here, I have 3,2Gb of memory, NL takes 900mb of it and falls down. Free System memory at this time, 1,5GB.

So i go back to Beta 5, works good for me.

So long

Wonko

wielk

Post by wielk »

Pavaronnie wrote:Same problem over here. Got this error:

BugBug-123:
* "dsaekjdslkjg".
* "out of memory".

After that a lot of warning boxes and the screen freezes.
Switching to the former beta version.
I had the same problem twice now, since I installed beta 6. NL was idle at that time. I have 2 GB of memory. Win XP.

martin051

Post by martin051 »

How ironic, I had to use the supersearch engine to get beta 5 again :?
Martin

nntp_luvr

Post by nntp_luvr »

Just let Newleecher 3.9 beta 6 run continuously for about 21 hours on a long HDTV download. When I got back from work, the newsleecher.exe process was using over 1 gigabyte of RAM on my poor 1.5GB machine! :shock:

Also noticed that one of the PAR sets was complete but needed only 6 more blocks to fix corrupt parts of the archive. Eventhough the repair'n'extract was "Enabled", "Verify", "Repair", it did not select any of the PAR files that I had paused in the queue to start recovery. Had to manually unpause the necessary blocks and let it download before repair'n'extract would kick in and perform the repair.

Can't wait for beta 7 to fix all this! I know the development team will do it! In the meantime, I'm considering going back to beta 5 because it worked *flawlessly* for my needs.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

martin051 wrote:How ironic, I had to use the supersearch engine to get beta 5 again :?
You shouldn't download NewsLeecher installers from anywhere else besides our site, especially usenet. Those are often modified with license kracks that can cause other issues or more often just contain viruses.

You can download any previous version from http://www.newsleecher.com/old/
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

martin051

Post by martin051 »

Thanks for the heads up Smudge.
Martin

Dr. Grinch

Post by Dr. Grinch »

Smudge wrote:
martin051 wrote:How ironic, I had to use the supersearch engine to get beta 5 again :?
You shouldn't download NewsLeecher installers from anywhere else besides our site, especially usenet. Those are often modified with license kracks that can cause other issues or more often just contain viruses.

You can download any previous version from http://www.newsleecher.com/old/
Thanks for the link. There really should be one off the main page!!

Downgraded back to Beta 5. Too unstable to rock v6 just yet. Hopefully v7 fixes this nasty memory bug :)

Sebastiii

Post by Sebastiii »

Hi,

Idem here, it's very quickly, or just if newsleecheer is open idle, the memory grow up !!!
Sebastiii, i love software with minor bug lol :)

OszilloVonGraf

Post by OszilloVonGraf »

Don't think it has something to do with extract.
I disabled Extract, unsubscribed all groups, just continuously downloading and it still runs out of memory after six or eight hours.

Beta 5 doesn't.

I am using an XP Prof image on Vmware 6 / linux.

I reinstalled 3.9B5 on a fresh image, entered my giganews account data,
pressed fetch entire group list and get a

(date) (time) Bot (x): Disconnected from server "Giganews" (10053).

No data, just all bots repeating this every few seconds. Grouplist download won't start.

Does someone know what this is?

daphatty
Forum Moderator

Post by daphatty »

Not that my 2 cents matter (i'm clearly late to the party :) ), but I too have this problem.

I don't think DVD images have anything to do with the problem however. Neither do group headers as I'm solely DL'ing from NZB files. I have a ton of Xvid shows, each totalling no more than 400mb each, so it may be a cumulative download problem. Also, my download speed is limited to 384k (I'm living in a country that has no idea what broadband is) and I'm grabbing from two different sources, Easynews (main source) and Giganews (fills). I have to restart the app every so often to avoid the memory leak crash.

EDIT: Has anyone noticed the way memory usage plummets when you minimize to the system tray (with option enabled) and then skyrockets shortly thereafter? My memory usage was at approximately 64Mb after ~5 minutes of usage and minimizing the app to the system tray dropped the memory usage to ~8Mb. Memory usage jumped to about 20Mb within 60 seconds thereafter. Is it possible this behavior is related to the bug?