Mcafee Says 3.95 Beta 1 is a Virus

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
MADxMAX

Post by MADxMAX » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:35 am

i started up my final version of newsleecher today and it stated that there is a new beta version so i decided to check it out to see what new features it has,when i try to install it i get a message saying that there is an error while trying to move a file in the installation directory ( see below image for full note )

plus i use Mcafee as my anti-virus and firewall and when i run the set up it says there is a virus within the setup ( again see included screenshot of the log )

i doubt that it is a virus but wanted to make the programmers aware of this

i am using windows vista home basic as my operatiing system
Beyond Thunderdome

2 Men Enter 1 Man Leaves

Taomyn

Post by Taomyn » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:18 pm

For now add an exclusion to McAfee's on-access scan properties and you'll be able to run it.

Since this happened there's been 2 more McAfee updates but neither have fixed this.

clive386

Post by clive386 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:43 pm

Probably better to post this in this thread actually:

Been looking into this. "New Poly Win32" seems to be a generic detection catch-all for anything that has been detected by its heuristic detection procedure. Details are available at http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99969.htm. Apparently the alert "indicates that a file is possibly infected with a Polymorphic Win32 virus" but doesn't necessarily mean that it is. Chances are when it's reported as a false positive, they'll release new definitions to correct that. In the meantime, I've added 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Newsleecher' to my exclusions since I have the default download folder set outside of there anyway.

kublai

Post by kublai » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:55 pm

Taomyn wrote:For now add an exclusion to McAfee's on-access scan properties and you'll be able to run it.

Since this happened there's been 2 more McAfee updates but neither have fixed this.
How do you add the exclusion to mcafee? I couldn't add anything into the trusted program list.

Kamphuis

Post by Kamphuis » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:16 am

Same here. I stoped the macafee scan during intall and that works so far. Theminute I use the beta release, every dowload I get a popup sayin virus detected.
I am going bsck to the final release.

Taomyn

Post by Taomyn » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:49 am

kublai wrote:
Taomyn wrote:For now add an exclusion to McAfee's on-access scan properties and you'll be able to run it.

How do you add the exclusion to mcafee? I couldn't add anything into the trusted program list.
Go to the on-access scan properties and choose "All Processes", then "Detection" and at the bottom choose you'll see "What not to scan" - add the newsleecher.exe file to be excluded on "Read".

Also set McAfee to only "Clean" or "Deny access", disable "Delete automatically" otherwise false positives like this can cause you to lose files.

davidfi01

on-access tab - where is it?

Post by davidfi01 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:16 pm

on-access tab - where is it?

clive386

Post by clive386 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:23 pm

Right-click the VirusScan shield in your system tray and select 'On-Access Scan Properties'. Select 'All Processes' on the left and then go to the 'Exclusions' tab. Click 'Exclusions...' and then click 'Add...'. Locate your newsleecher.exe file (either in C:\Program Files (x86)\Newsleecher or C:\Program Files\Newsleecher depending on whether you're running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows) and then OK on each box to save and close.

mbezik

Post by mbezik » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:35 pm

im not sure which version of mcafee you use but the latest security suite doesnt have any on access scan properties, niether in the program or when right clicking the mcafee system tray icon ..........ive searched for a few days now to find somewhere that i can add an exclusion - and im still unable to do so

Tracker Tim

Post by Tracker Tim » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:24 pm

You cant set up any exclusions in the newer versions of Mcafee. They took it out.

mbezik

Post by mbezik » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:54 pm

thanks for the heads up tim, i can stop trying to find it now - was driving me mad thinking i was missing something easy

finchbiscuit

any resolutuion to this?

Post by finchbiscuit » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:50 pm

Does anyone have a resolution to this Poly Win32 false failure from McAfee?? Or am I going to be stuck either getting new usenet software or virus software? :(

:?:

blindguy

Post by blindguy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:33 am

Thanks for not putting a note about this problem nowhere before I download and attempted to install and totally corrupted my version of Newsleecher.

Maybe a note in the Newsleecher News area? I guess McAfee is one of the lesser used anti-virus applications but some of us still use it.

mbezik

Post by mbezik » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:03 am

come on guys its a beta - its not a final so you gotta expect problems, and if you dont want problems stick with the stable final......

mbezik

Post by mbezik » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:17 pm

was a big update for mcafee today so I thought id give the beta a try.......looks like they still think its a virus - :(