McAfee finds "trojan horse" when installing beta 4.1

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
erwin010

McAfee finds "trojan horse" when installing beta 4.1

Post by erwin010 »

Damolee

Post by Damolee »

I am getting the same problem. Disabled McAfee and not long after turning it back on it deletes the launching .exe file.

No good using this beta until this prob is fixed.

grimlock72

Post by grimlock72 »

Possibly same problem, nod32 v3 reports:

http://www.newsleecher.com/nl_setup_beta.exe a variant of Win32/Packed.Themida application connection terminated - quarantined

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

Yes it is the same false positive as reported in the 4.01 beta issues thread. Eset/Nod32 and McAfee are a bit oversensitive and flagging it as a trojan. Other AV programs like AVG and TrendMicro don't flag it.

With Eset/Nod32, you can disable it while downloading/installing then re-enable it. With McAfee, it will still remove the application after installation.

You can help by reporting the false positive to your antivirus provider. Hopefully they will release an updated def file that will allow our software to run.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

grimlock72

Post by grimlock72 »

I prefer to have nod/eset investigate this and fix their definitions. Have submitted the file to their lab for evaluation.

Magsel

Post by Magsel »

Will you let us know the outcome grimlock?
TIA

grimlock72

Post by grimlock72 »

Newest definition file for nod32/eset doesn't think the file is a virus anymore.

For some very strange reason downloading it using firefox on windows causes entire firefox to hang though. First time I had to use IE to get around a browser problem :)

HomersDK

Post by HomersDK »

This happened minutes ago with Eset/Nod32 (virus def. 4072 from today).
13-05-2009 19:40:04 Startup scanner file C:\Program Files\NewsLeecher\newsLeecher.exe a variant of Win32/Packed.Themida potentially unwanted application

I just added to the "safe" list, but still annoying.
Same happened with newsleecher install file when I installed the new beta.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

So is it fixed or not? the last 2 posts are conflicting.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

Lumar

Post by Lumar »

I have exactly the same problem, maybe we have to wait for a new release.

drfruit

Post by drfruit »

I have given up on downloading it with NOD32. I tried 3 different browsers. In one case I ended up with a 9 MB file, twice the correct size, in other cases with a 0 byte file, and mostly with an empty directory because even after I disabled NOD32, the file was still moved to quarantine.

almaro

Post by almaro »

I found the same problems as described below. Esed/Nod32 removed my file.
After three times downloading it was finally there, but windows say's that it isn't a windows executable.
So, I think ill wait a bit until problems are solved. :evil:

erwin010

Post by erwin010 »

McAfee Detection Dispute Submission Form

http://www.mcafee.com/us/threat_center/ ... e_form.asp

Give them 4 to 6 weeks :lol:

Was there a work around for the previous released beta?

Charlie Freak

Post by Charlie Freak »

Smudge wrote:So is it fixed or not? the last 2 posts are conflicting.
Just to clarify it.

Everything seems OK now with NOD32. Using definitions 4076 (the latest), Newsleecher v4.0 Beta 1 is NOT detected as a threat anymore.

It downloads, installs, and runs without issue.

TT

Post by TT »

How about a modified version of NL 4.0 B1 like you created last time this happened?