NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 4

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
p0W3Rh0u5e

Post by p0W3Rh0u5e » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:01 pm

Did some other tests with the config files.

I've noticed that i have alot of very old files in this directory, they hav'nt been changed for a long time, so probably they are'nt used anymore.

So i deleted/moved all files to a different location and started NL to see which files it will generate.

Those files are:
downloaded.dat
filters.dat
groups.dat
nlScheduler.v2.dat
okCancel.dat
setup.dat
setup_grps.dat
tb035003.dat
tbStdCustom.dat
zlCache.dat
zlSets.v02.dat

Then i restored only those files from my backup and guess what, everything is working now. Everything in my configuration gets saved now.

BTW, strange thing is, i now have the 20secs pause/hangup-thingy after startup, i had'nt that before...

So try to sort out old and unused configuration-files.

EDIT: Well, it worked a few times, but now NL does'nt save change to some of those files anymore, including setup.dat and filters.dat. Sorry, but it's simply a mess, even for a beta.

I'll give up and downgrade my v4-installation to the unofficial preview-version.

EDIT2: I tried one more thing, i reverted the last two steps, i did after i saw nl handling the configuration right. Because, after that i moved my server-dats and the caches back into the directory to get this baby up and running...

Well, so removed those files again, the server-dats did'nt do the trick, but the cache-file-directory did, i did some more tests, and it looks like my queue-file is causing NL to stop saving configurations.

I can reproduce this now, if i remove the queue-file, everything gets saved, if i restore it, some configuration-files are'nt saved anymore.

So forget the stuff about those old configuration files, because i don't think they caused this bug. :) It was just coincidence that i moved my cache direcotry (for safety reasons). Man, who did expect that the queue-file causes a problem with configuration-files?
Last edited by p0W3Rh0u5e on Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hydra

Post by Hydra » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:58 pm

BlkPnthr wrote:Still getting "Application Bug" no matter what I do. Pop's up as soon as I start the program. I wonder if a complete un-install and re-install would fix this problem?
I get the same issue, not tried uninstalling, don't want to have to reconfigure all my groups, what can I do to fix it?

This is the error I get all the time:

Code: Select all

Bug Data1:

Bug Data2:
queue missing chrdrn

Hydra

double clicking a queue item doesn't toggle between queued/paused

Post by Hydra » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:09 pm

In the old version of NL double clicking a queued item would toggle it's paused/queued status, this no longer occurs in NL4

In NL4 as there are groups it might not be what the user wants if they double click an UNEXPANDED group, however the old functionality should be restored to the EXPANDED items.

queue up some collection:

+ [x] Collection | Size | Status
double click the row expands it:

+ [x] Collection | Size | Status
     + [x] Collection.r00 | Size | Queued
     + [x] Collection.rar | Size | Queued
     + [x] Collection.txt | Size | Queued
     + [x] Collection.vol01+2.par2 | Size | Paused
     + [x] Collection.vol03+2.par2 | Size | Paused
Double clicking on the expanded rows (Collection.*) should toggle the Status.

OR

If you double clicked in the status COLUMN of an expanded row (anywhere in the status column, not just on the queued/paused text) could also toggle the status.

If you did the latter than you could make it so that double clicking in different columns did different things.

e.g.

Double clicking on the Subject column of a expanded item with a status of 'downloaded' could open explorer to show the containing directory and highlight the file.

I've love the latter feature too please :D

p0W3Rh0u5e

Post by p0W3Rh0u5e » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:32 pm

Two more things:

- the 10-30sec hangup after starting nl seems to be caused by the "ordered rar set download" feature, because if its enabled NL does check every set in your queue at startup, disabling that feautre gave me back instant access to nl after startup

- i can not disable pages anymore, i can enable them, but disabling is'nt possible (i tried both ways, the menu and the arrow)

elite

Post by elite » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:57 pm

p0W3Rh0u5e wrote:Did some other tests with the config files.

I can reproduce this now, if i remove the queue-file, everything gets saved, if i restore it, some configuration-files are'nt saved anymore.
Man, who did expect that the queue-file causes a problem with configuration-files?
I can confirm, that if you remove your download queue, put all the settings as you wnat it and put your queue back, it works nicely.

Greyson

Post by Greyson » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:00 pm

According to the latest VirusTotal Scan mcafee has now provided an exclusion for Newsleecher :
http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/0d32 ... 1246225780

EDIT :

My bad, they cleared the installer from McAfee, but not the NewsLeecher.exe yet :(
http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/f537 ... 1246227119
Still plenty of hits on this :(

infiniter

Post by infiniter » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:21 pm

None of the mentioned problems here, but these two (or at least one) bugs are still there:

a) double-clicking a message does not download/open it (the action for a double-click should be there AND it should be configurable in the settings)

b) the "New(C)" column is still empty

FuzzyDog

Post by FuzzyDog » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:32 pm

infiniter wrote:None of the mentioned problems here, but these two (or at least one) bugs are still there:

a) double-clicking a message does not download/open it (the action for a double-click should be there AND it should be configurable in the settings)

b) the "New(C)" column is still empty

I second this. Double Clicking an article should be configurable to either open or save. (it was always save in Newsleecher 3 which made no sense as the fastest way to preview/open would be double clicking when randomly previewing images of a series) Now it's nothing.

Please allow double clicking an article to be configurable to either open or save. (open if not configurable)

kiwilostinmelb

Beta 4 on linux - Drag and Drop - errors and Alternative functionality needed.

Post by kiwilostinmelb » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:42 am

Hi Guys,

Beta 4 is running fine on my WINE installation. It has solved a few issues as well:
- RNE "par2" in lower case is now recognised. This was an issue previously.

My number one problem now is that I cannot drag and drop par2 files. I know that this may be difficult under an unsuported environment but can I suggest that you add a menu item as an alternative function to drag and drop? I am sure that windows users will not complain :)

WINE seems to handle newsleecher very well. Full speeds and all. Thanks for all your efforts.

Cheers.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:54 am

Well, at least AVG support has been helpful. Haven't heard back from the others.
AVG Technical Support wrote:Unfortunately, the current virus database version may detect the
mentioned virus on some legitimate applications. We can confirm that
it is a false alarm. We would like to inform you that the false
positive will be removed in the next Definitions update. Please update
your AVG and if a new Definitions update was downloaded, check whether
the file is still detected.

If you need to restore deleted files from AVG Virus Vault you can do
it this way:
- Open AVG user interface.
- Choose "Virus Vault" option from the "History" menu.
- Locate the file that was incorrectly removed and select it (one
click).
- Click on the "Restore" button.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Ladislav Krejci
AVG Technical Support
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

choli0090

Queue problems with 4.x series

Post by choli0090 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:20 am

The problem I am having with the 4.x version, is that Newsleecher doesn't recoginize if something has already been downloaded, especially if NL has to be killed thru task manager (the program stops responding)

For instance I'll import a nzb file, it downloads all the files associated. Well later on if I have to restart the program, it thinks it hasn't downloaded any of the files & starts to download them again.

This isn't a problem with the 3.9 version.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:03 am

If NewsLeecher isn't shut down properly, it doesn't have a chance to save the current queue state. Previous versions had the ability to save the queue every minute but that feature hasn't been implemented in 4 yet.
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

obosobrio

Avast Ver 4, Beta 4 Virus

Post by obosobrio » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:05 am

Reported by Avast anti virus. Standard Shield has to be disabled during install but when restored, causes lockout of newsleecher.

While anti-virus disabled, unable to enter existing valid license information. So continued with trial and found that supersearch no longer works.

Obviously this is Alpha software and has not made it to the Beta stage.

Uninstalled.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:27 am

sounds like disabling your antivirus is also disabling NewsLeecher from accessing the network. It requires access to register the application and to do SuperSearch searches.

Djs

Speed Scheduler

Post by Djs » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:50 am

When you toggle between,

Speed limit:no limit and Speed limit:Scheduled
you have to tick Enable Scheduler, apply and ok every time.

In version 3 of Newsleecher the speed scheduler stayed enabled when changing states. The change from speed scheduled to none, just needed a toggling on the top tool bar without needing to be re-enabled every time you change it. Annoying.