NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 4

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
leifsjensen

Cached article headers kept too long

Post by leifsjensen »

Cached article headers are not flushed after the retention days set in the settings.
This has been the case for all Version 4 betas.

avnyc11

advanced nerd tweaks

Post by avnyc11 »

can someone post a list of what each nerd tweak is for. im 3/4 half nerd, but my fathers mother was a cheerleader and not a nerd so i dont know what the other 1/4 tweaks are, and would like some explain and as im sure there is atleast 1 that mmost people dont understand and it is unlikely that it is the same one, a complete list would benefit all

Ken Schram

Beta 4: Grouped articles in queue do not unpause

Post by Ken Schram »

Version: B4
Operating System w/ Service Pack Version: Vista Home Prem 32bit SP1
Installation Method: Upgrade
Type of Installation: Registered
Number of Servers: 1
List your provider(s)? Giganews
List of antivirus/firewall software installed: Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009
Connections per server: 10
Server priority: 1

Bug Description:

This problem has been ongoing for me since the grouped articles feature was implemented. My method is to select a grouped article then press CTRL+P to add as paused in the queue. Once I am ready to download, I go into the queue and, with the grouped articles collapsed, do a CTRL+A to select all and then press the ">" resume button. The PARs and any individual non-grouped files will resume, but anything grouped will not resume. Instead, I have to manually expand the groups and then CTRL+A to select all and then resume. Only when all of the articles are visible (by expanding the '+' icon) will they resume.

FWIW, sorry to see all the haters in here. I think the software is excellent. Bugs are just the natural course of developing first class software.

Thank you

avnyc11

sub extraction

Post by avnyc11 »

i hope this is the right place for this but ive noticed a bug over the last few months where my extraction works fine and extracts my files to the proper location, but when it comes to extraction .sub files they extract, but dont appear unless i refresh the location

theprimal

Post by theprimal »

As I reported for the previous release:

1) The bandwidth-meter setup pops up EVERY time I start up NL. Appearently the setting is not stored or there is a bug with the feature. I is kind of annoying, because I don't have NL open 24/7...

2) When "Repair 'N' Extract" is enabled NL locks up every few seconds. Granted, it was WAY worse with b3 (where it was 1-2 seconds). But it still is doing that, only for I would say 0.5 seconds every 2 seconds. During the hald second NL does not respond. As soon as R'n'E is disabled NL runs smoothly again... Any info on why that might be? Am I the only one experiencing this? System: Athlon Turion 64 X2, Windows Vista Business 32Bit, 2 GB RAM

But thanks for the improvments so far!
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience

pzam

repair gets stuck and newsleecher shows as virus with avast

Post by pzam »

NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 4

Items keep getting stuck on repair and extract. the stop button does not seem to be working now. So have to forcedly terminate.

This time when I used task manager to terminate it.
Newsleecher.exe then reported as a virus.

the first 2 times it did not.

p0W3Rh0u5e

Post by p0W3Rh0u5e »

theprimal wrote:As I reported for the previous release:

1) The bandwidth-meter setup pops up EVERY time I start up NL. Appearently the setting is not stored or there is a bug with the feature. I is kind of annoying, because I don't have NL open 24/7...
It looks like this has something to do with old config-file-formats, i had the same probs with betas after the unofficial preview. NL can import the old files, but is'nt able to save the settings. It just does'nt rewrite the config-files.

I managed to fix this atleast with the setup.dat, in which are the most settings, but not all. Start NL, make your changes, rename/delete setup.dat and then quit NL. It will finally write a new setup.dat, which will be loaded and saved fine from now on.

I hav'nt had the time to figure out which files are needed for other settings and how to force NL to update them (deleting all settings-files while NL is running does'nt to the trick, NL did'nt save/rewrite them all) and honestly, i'm not in the mood to that.

Francois20001

Post by Francois20001 »

[quote="theprimal"]As I reported for the previous release:

I have the same issue. all the setting keep resetting when you start NL .. is there a fix for this?

damianw

Post by damianw »

just some problems ive noticed going from 4.0 b3 to b4..

1] startup is slow, and hangs for about 30 seconds before the program is usable.

2] the status/title bar at the top of the program window showing items in queue and approximate time.. the approximate time jumps up to absurd times (such as 700 hours) after a file is downloaded and is being verified

3] the download speed is affected by something as simple as having winamp or media player classic running, which does not have a huge CPU load nor has it impacted newsleecher in the past, however it kills my download speed with b4.
as soon as i terminate the applications, newsleecher goes back to downloading at full speed.
this has been verified several times, and it happens with several other applications also.

4] in the "Status" column in the Queue tab, it changes from the percentage downloaded to "Initialising" and very occasionally changes back to the proper appearance of the percentage downloaded, but is usually always stuck on "Initialising".

they are the most glaring issues ive found.
everything else appears to be working perfectly after upgrading from b3 to b4.

theprimal

Post by theprimal »

Francois20001 wrote:I have the same issue. all the setting keep resetting when you start NL .. is there a fix for this?
He is right. No matter what settings I choose, NL will not store them in the setup.dat. As suggested a post before I renamed setup.dat. But NL does not create a new setup.dat, instead it will just start up with standard-settings...
So at this point I am simply not able to change any settings whatsoever...

P.S. My system being Vista I checked and the setup.dat is not write-protected, I also have all rights to it.
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience

p0W3Rh0u5e

Post by p0W3Rh0u5e »

theprimal wrote: He is right. No matter what settings I choose, NL will not store them in the setup.dat. As suggested a post before I renamed setup.dat. But NL does not create a new setup.dat, instead it will just start up with standard-settings...
Yep, i did some further tests, NL is'nt rewriting the settings everytime like i thought.

In most cases its not saving settings at all if the files are missing while its running, i don't know how what triggers NL to recreate the settings-files, but somehow it worked (once) for me.

It just looks like i had some luck with my first test. :(

jdgdcg

Post by jdgdcg »

WTF? The bug of the refresh headres is present again in the beta 4. And i can't install the beta 3 because of the changes to the settings. Please publish a patch because before i coul get the new headers getting the last 1.000.000 headers but now it doesn't work either.

Don't you try the program before publising it? Damn

Legion303

Post by Legion303 »

b4 doesn't even start now. Installed over b3 release, Win XP 32-bit, SP3. It comes up briefly in the task manager, then silently exits.

EDIT: Something's really broken here. I moved everything to a backup folder in case there was a corrupt startup file and reinstalled b3, but it's doing the same thing. NL refuses to start at all now.

EDIT2: uninstalled and reinstalled old version and new version, no dice. Disabled firewall and AV just in case, no dice. Help me out here, guys. I want a working NL again.

EDIT3: rebooting allowed me to at least start NL again, so it appears to have been a Windows (*spit*) problem.

-steve

cyberde

Re: NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 4

Post by cyberde »

Spiril, the "download to groupfolder" bug I reported for the previous beta's has been resolved, good job :)

But I still have the issue that NL hangs from time to time (non responding).
quickly wrote:dont you check your release before publishing?
this is a very simply thing to test, and a very important feature for me.

the beta4 release with more bugs than improvements sucks.
Dude chill, it's called a beta for a reason ;)

jdgdcg

Re: NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 4

Post by jdgdcg »

cyberde wrote: Dude chill, it's called a beta for a reason ;)
Yeah, the problem is that the official release doesn't work either. People with the headers refresh problem has to go to the betas because the official release they've paid for doesn't work. And Newsleecher doesn't resolve the issue. How months since the headers refresh problem in the official release and not a single solution? We've paid for a working program and at this moment we haven't it. And the people at newsleecher don't seem to mind it.

Another problem is that a new beta is released because improve the latest but the problem is that new beta creates more problems than revolve them.