NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 7

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
bbarker

Post by bbarker » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:41 pm

I was wondering if there is a target schedule for releasing betas? They were being released fairly often and now it's been over 5 weeks since the latest one which I'm using and like. I'd just like to see it completed.

mrhua

Post by mrhua » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:39 am

stalks wrote:I'm having this issue with beta 6 and 7.

Pause if space below 1GB.

It then pauses with a 2GB queue and 90GB available, lol. :D

Argh, how do I switch it off? Even if I set the pause limit to 0 or 1MB it still pauses!
I'm having a similar problem to stalks -- basically it seems like this release is ignoring the setting and not stopping at all. I have NL v4b7 installed on a fresh install of XP. NL is installed on C: with 40+ gb free, and the download directory is a network drive (smb shared) ... and it fills the disk up all the way, does not honor the "pause limit".

Thanks again, hope this feedback helps some !

henv

Post by henv » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:48 am

hotzenwalder wrote:Up until beta 3 the Koala FTD Search tool ( http://www.koalabear.nl/software.php ) was kind of working, but with the later releases it is not functioning anymore.

The tool pastes a searchterm from another application (FTD) to the Supersearch Service and hits the search button in Newsleecher. It worked like a charm, but the developer now has run into problems. He looks for a active Newsleecher session by looking for a version number and a search field. This method has become so unstable with the latest beta releases that he is about to throw in the towel concering Newsleecher 4.x support.

This would be a shame because lots of users use his program in conjuntion with Newsleecher and without it Newsleecher would become a whole lot less attractive to use.

I guess it's kind of hard for me to explain what goes wrong. Maybe it's best to get into contact with the developer ( info@koalabear.nl ). It would be much appreciated. 8)
Extra info:The builder from the koalaftd asked if it still could possible for newsleecher version 4 to use the supersearch function with a windows api call

Hi spiril, I never seen a answer if this is possible again. If not, supersearch isnt usefull for me.

allynm

temp folder location in options...

Post by allynm » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:12 pm

I've noticed the ability to set a custom temp folder is now missing from the options. This needs to be restored ASAP. NewsLeecher performs thousands of random small writes to the OS drive as it downloads the various parts of each article. If the primary drive is an SSD (Solid State Drive), this type of activity wears the flash blocks at a *significant* rate, reducing drive life and causing excessive fragmentation which eventually leads to stuttering as the drive struggles to overcome the effects of the previous random writes.

An example of what fragmentation does to an SSD:
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=73 ... ert&pid=13

*note* this is not 'normal' fragmentation, it is related to the effect of the SSD trying to efficiently perform a series of small writes, which NewsLeecher is currently doing *alot* of.

Request the temp folder setting option be restored before peoples SSDs start dying early deaths.

Allyn Malventano
Storage Editor, PC Perspective

beanos66

speed graph can't untick options

Post by beanos66 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:48 pm

hya

the three ticked options in the speed graphs right click menu can't be turned off.

Smudge
Site Admin

Re: temp folder location in options...

Post by Smudge » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:56 am

allynm wrote:I've noticed the ability to set a custom temp folder is now missing from the options.
This is set in a .ini file outside of the application settings. You can read the details in the HowTo: Use an alternate location for the settings and temp directories FAQ thread.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

allynm

Re: temp folder location in options...

Post by allynm » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:15 am

Smudge wrote:
allynm wrote:I've noticed the ability to set a custom temp folder is now missing from the options.
This is set in a .ini file outside of the application settings. You can read the details in the HowTo: Use an alternate location for the settings and temp directories FAQ thread.
Thanks for pointing that out, but it needs to be easier to find for the other 99% of people who won't know to check the forum / find that thread.

elite

Post by elite » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:41 am

i am having an annoying thing where if whne having a few connections downloading, I decide to pause one of the connection. IT hangs the whole program.

What do I do?

grimlock72

Post by grimlock72 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:44 am

I am missing the ability to to 'add poster to filter' on the article screen. How are supposed to do that now? (and no I don't *want* to type those silly names spammers come up with by hand)

doppler

Post by doppler » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:53 am

grimlock72 wrote:I am missing the ability to to 'add poster to filter' on the article screen. How are supposed to do that now? (and no I don't *want* to type those silly names spammers come up with by hand)
All those silly names are created for a reason. To piss us off. Reserve the filter for the stupid spamming ISP's. There are less astute. Just ignore the thousands of spam lines. Filling up the filter will only do two things. Slow down NL even more and hide real posts with the same name.

grimlock72

Post by grimlock72 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:47 am

doppler wrote:All those silly names are created for a reason. To piss us off. Reserve the filter for the stupid spamming ISP's. There are less astute. Just ignore the thousands of spam lines.
Need NL to filter on *header* text in order to properly filter ISP's, it doesn't do that as far as I know :(

doppler

Post by doppler » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:24 am

grimlock72 wrote:
doppler wrote:All those silly names are created for a reason. To piss us off. Reserve the filter for the stupid spamming ISP's. There are less astute. Just ignore the thousands of spam lines.
Need NL to filter on *header* text in order to properly filter ISP's, it doesn't do that as far as I know :(
I am talking about the common names ISPs come up with to get you to go.

Look for the idiots with poster names as "www.iamanass.com"

choli0090

Subfolder issue?

Post by choli0090 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:39 am

Hello Everyone,

With the previous beta's I have been able to have the download go something like this

\download folder\newsgroup group\!RnE 20090824 download item

Now its..

\download folder\newsgroup group\Download item\!RnE 20090824 Download item.

How do I get it back to the first way ?
I see under the repair & extract options that there is one about adding date & time & the subfolder. If I uncheck the subfolder, then the date & time "grays out" so I can't check or uncheck it.

Thanks

123repeater

Re: In the master group list you can no longer sort by populatiry

Post by 123repeater » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:00 am

Felix T Cat wrote:Using Beta 7, in the master group list where you subscribe to groups you used to be able to sort by popularity but no clicking on the popularity no longer does anything.
I'm also really frustrated by this. And not to bring up larger quality issue flames, but this is exacerbated by the other problems: I've ended up having to delete queue/group/config settings a couple times when NL started to wonk out, which means I've been re-building my group list repeatedly...

pzam

v4b7 repair and extract and iso == corrupt

Post by pzam » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:16 am

I have been noticing lots of times that repair and extract will seem to extract files and and not move them to the extract directory. or It may but they have corruptions.

If I use the par2 I can sometimes fix them I have not seen a pattern to what causes it yet.