NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 7

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

Remember the collections are created after the search results are returned. If you only want the NZB files for Ubuntu posts, search for unbuntu .nzb instead.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

Crand

Post by Crand »

I'm with Koogle. WTF is with all these broken betas?

hotzenwalder

Post by hotzenwalder »

Up until beta 3 the Koala FTD Search tool ( http://www.koalabear.nl/software.php ) was kind of working, but with the later releases it is not functioning anymore.

The tool pastes a searchterm from another application (FTD) to the Supersearch Service and hits the search button in Newsleecher. It worked like a charm, but the developer now has run into problems. He looks for a active Newsleecher session by looking for a version number and a search field. This method has become so unstable with the latest beta releases that he is about to throw in the towel concering Newsleecher 4.x support.

This would be a shame because lots of users use his program in conjuntion with Newsleecher and without it Newsleecher would become a whole lot less attractive to use.

I guess it's kind of hard for me to explain what goes wrong. Maybe it's best to get into contact with the developer ( info@koalabear.nl ). It would be much appreciated. 8)

pzam

Post by pzam »

Would calling them alpha make them work better.

I wonder if nl could have a standard main window that does not keep changeing that people could write there interfaces to. then make the main newsleecher program a sub module that talks to it also.

oh What I really came to jot down was I noticed that if i adjust the download speed on that graph from 100 to say 90. it works ok for bodys ok but...
on the giganews accelerated headers for some reason it seems to make them go very slow if it is not at 100.
someone surly has reported this but I just noticed it. not really a problem just might be nice to have a note about it somewhere.

Bags

Post by Bags »

Koogle .. Crand ..

Get the point ...

Betas are development software
If neither of you have the patience to help, test, etc .. go and use the final versions. The latest version works well generally, in any case.

Also, I can assure you I am no noob.

ITMadMan

Post by ITMadMan »

Smudge wrote:Remember the collections are created after the search results are returned. If you only want the NZB files for Ubuntu posts, search for unbuntu .nzb instead.
The situation is not that I'm looking for a specific NZB but all NZB files by entering only NZB or .NZB in for the Search. I offered that example just to show that narrowing to just NZB doesn't show all NZB within the Search area.

In Article Manager, I select a newsgroup, check Show old then enter NZB or .NZB in the subject filter, NZB files within collections will not be listed. This is what I'm looking for. Before the advent of collections, all NZB files within the group would be listed.

henv

Post by henv »

hotzenwalder wrote:Up until beta 3 the Koala FTD Search tool ( http://www.koalabear.nl/software.php ) was kind of working, but with the later releases it is not functioning anymore.

The tool pastes a searchterm from another application (FTD) to the Supersearch Service and hits the search button in Newsleecher. It worked like a charm, but the developer now has run into problems. He looks for a active Newsleecher session by looking for a version number and a search field. This method has become so unstable with the latest beta releases that he is about to throw in the towel concering Newsleecher 4.x support.

This would be a shame because lots of users use his program in conjuntion with Newsleecher and without it Newsleecher would become a whole lot less attractive to use.

I guess it's kind of hard for me to explain what goes wrong. Maybe it's best to get into contact with the developer ( info@koalabear.nl ). It would be much appreciated. 8)
I use this also. Its a miss. Dont use supersearch a lot now :cry:

Extra info

The builder from the koalaftd asked if it still could possible for newsleecher version 4 to use the supersearch function with a windows api call

flanders

Post by flanders »

Is it possible to make the RnE functiun skip the extract when the extract folder's path is included in the download folder's path?

example: I use CTRL+Y to leech specify an mp3 list. I set up a folder in for instance my C:\downloads\tempMP3\

Now my RnE extract folder is c:\downloads\.

At the end of the mp3 downloads, RnE will check and extract everything from C:\downloads\tempMP3\ to C:\downloads\ that is copying the mp3 files.

Problem is that all the files that should have been all tidy in the C:\downloads\tempMP3\ folder are now all in C:\downloads\...

Is this all clear?

Thx

Larc

Post by Larc »

I finally bit the bullet and installed NL 4.0b7 on my secondary system after first deleting the reliable 3.95b3 including all the configuration files. No outstanding glitches yet except for Options settings on the Manager window. Shorten Groupnames worked once, but isn't reversible. Extended Group Info won't work at all, so I can't remove the annoying article count in parentheses beside the now shortened group names.

Any suggestions beyond just waiting with crossed fingers for the next beta? :wink:
Larc

abeloin

Post by abeloin »

In the articles tab, if a rar file is split using the r00-r99,s00-s99,... method, Newsleecher will group the r00 to r99 files but will ignore the others.

Example:
"My brand new movie" - MBNM (101 rars, 12 pars, nfo)
"My brand new movie" - MBNM.s00
"My brand new movie" - MBNM.s01
"My brand new movie" - MBNM.s02

rymo

"time left" freaks out - too many connections?

Post by rymo »

I have v3.x at home using 18 connections and the "time left" estimate has always been pretty accurate once the download gets going. Here at the office we have a jittery wireless connection and it takes 30 connections to get a mostly-stable 9 to 10Mbps. The "time left" estimate does ok most of the time, but will occasionally freak out and jump from 4 minutes remaining up to 1000+ hours - yet the speed graph keeps trucking along showing a "Cur:" in the neighborhood of 9.3Mbps. I can't tell for sure if it's one or two of the 30 connections stalling that causes the weird estimate? Not a big deal, just throwing it out there in case it's a new issue with 4.0b7 and I can provide more information. Thanks for the beta!

- r

kimagure

Same issue.

Post by kimagure »

Just quoting a message that was posted in the bug forum (should have been posted here) -- pasted below.

I have the same issue below w/ 4.0b7. OS is Vista, system environment is Japanese (might have something to do with it, I had issues with earlier beta versions as well not saving settings, etc). I get the same unable to save messages -- perpetually for me though, it's not random; tried running as administrator as well but didn't fix the issue. No issues 3.9x, reverted back for the time being.

PatKay58 wrote:GENERAL INFO:
Newsleecher Version: 4.0beta7 (upgraded from 3.9beta3)
Usenet Provider: News.Usenet.Net
Server & Connections: 1 server with 5 connections (unlimited download)
Newsleecher Setting: all default, except download directory and a few file download options such as--don't download incompletes, skip dowloaded files, and download group folders.
Antivirus & Firewall: Avast Home (disabled while downloading), CA antispyware, PC tools Threatfire, Windows Firewall

SYMPTOMS:
Newsleecher went into a 'manually paused' state by itself while it was downloading normally. The length of time from starting a download to the time when it paused varied from 5 minutes to 3 hours. These occurences happened at least 8 times over a period of 10 days (downloading almost every night, Bangkok time). log entries described the event as "unable to save to the specified download directory", followed by "unable to save to the default directory", and then "manually pause" or something, I'm not sure about this last one, but there were defnitely 3 red lines of error messages.

TROUBLESHOOTING:
I've tried disabled all security software (which had worked fine with 3.9beta3), disk indexed searching software (a program called 'everything'), RAM cache software (eBoostr), but this didn't help. All of these software worked fine with 3.9beta3. Only Avast Home had to be disabled while using SuperSearch service and coul be enabled immediately afterward while Newsleecher was downloading.

SOLUTION:
I now revert back to 3.9beta3 and am awaiting for 4.0 final.

Crand

Post by Crand »

Bags = n00b.

We ARE testing the software and giving our feedback which is the essence of beta testing. You only seem to be giving feedback on our posts. Way to go.

The fact remains that both Koogle and I are getting NO response from the developers and the changes aren't being put in the program.

Bags

Post by Bags »

Crand ...

Giving the childish way you are behaving .. I am not surprised.

SilverSurfR

Post by SilverSurfR »

Didn't find this mentioned so far.

group_browsing_max_simultaneous_updates in adv. nerdy tweaks seems to be n+1.

Had it set to 2 initially and it used 3 connections, changed it to 1 and it's now using 2 connections.

Next is a question... I used Alt.binz for a short while and it had an option to pause the queue while performing a RnE. I saw it being of use to throttle the IO while reading/writing to the hdd, also, I'd imagine it would help reduce fragmentation of the hdd. Does this make sense? Should I go suggest this in the wishlist forum?