NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 8

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
Spiril
Site Admin

NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 8

Post by Spiril »

Please post your questions / comments regarding NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 8 in this forum thread.
Last edited by Spiril on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

pzam

Post by pzam »

Sure just as I was tryign to post a bug you release a new version lol. ok i will try it and see if it still gets strange amounts of headers like v4p8 did.

I had it set for 500 days 4 channels to receve headers.

the first time i ran it and it got some random about 20 days more and less and on one large group got almost nothing.

I changed the settings to

headers 500 days 2 channels 9999 day group retention and then set the busy retry to only 5 seconds on hanging conections

after that I got the 400+ days on each of the groups.
Last edited by pzam on Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pzam

Giganews and Astraweb

Post by pzam »

Giganews and Astraweb
(wow you fixed the sort by popularity on the group name list Thanks)
Now just put a button back to list by file name on the explorer (o-O) puppy eyes.

Just for giggles since I have both accounts I will try getting headers from both of them on the same groups and see what kind of mess it makes.

well at first I thought it was going lots slower that it used to on giganews. but the normal giganews headers only goes back 30 days. after looking at it was actually going all the way back and getting the headers as far as I had it set. so it seemed like it was taking a while.

I noticed that it used to get 2 threads of headers at a time before the way I have it set now it is only getting 1. I had it set to 2 because that worked good on my cablemodem with compression to keep it at 800K with them both going. now it is getting avg of 645K on only 1 channel. Still fast enought for me but seems strange.

This is the only error that happened so far getting the headers

Bug Data1:
bdfdds4

Bug Data2:
Access violation at address 0087F6E4 in module 'newsLeecher.exe'. Read of address 0000000C

8:40:11 AM Loading Group for Browsing: "alt.binaries.1place4nzb".
8:40:11 AM * Group Entries Active : 1431 ( total cache loadtime was 47ms )
8:40:11 AM * Group Entries Deleted : 0 ( manually deleted from group cache )
8:40:11 AM * Group Entries Garbage : 0.00% ( group cache cleaning will be activated at 25% )
8:40:11 AM * Group Entries Outdated : 0 ( articles older than the set group retention, which is 9999 days )
8:40:11 AM Browsing Group: "alt.binaries.1place4nzb".
8:40:13 AM Deactivated Group <alt.binaries.1place4nzb> in 6ms.
8:40:13 AM Loading Group for Browsing: "alt.binaries.anime".
8:40:13 AM * Group Entries Active : 20629 ( total cache loadtime was 193ms )
8:40:13 AM * Group Entries Deleted : 0 ( manually deleted from group cache )
8:40:13 AM * Group Entries Garbage : 0.00% ( group cache cleaning will be activated at 25% )
8:40:13 AM * Group Entries Outdated : 1 ( articles older than the set group retention, which is 9999 days )
8:40:13 AM Browsing Group: "alt.binaries.anime".
8:40:14 AM Bot(4) disconnected from server: "ssl-us.astraweb.com". (0)
8:40:14 AM Bot(1) disconnected from server: "ssl-us.astraweb.com". (0)
8:40:14 AM Bot(2) disconnected from server: "ssl-us.astraweb.com". (0)
8:40:15 AM Deactivated Group <alt.binaries.anime> in 25ms.
8:40:31 AM Receiving Headers from news.giganews.com. Range 476602056-489123471. Local Cache Pointer is at: 476602056.
8:52:19 AM Receiving Headers from news.giganews.com. Range 513044-513044. Local Cache Pointer is at: 513044.
8:52:19 AM * No new headers to receive. Already got them all cached.
8:52:19 AM Receiving Headers from news.giganews.com. Range 67543624-68551349. Local Cache Pointer is at: 67543624.
8:53:18 AM Receiving Headers from news.giganews.com. Range 37180784-37223220. Local Cache Pointer is at: 37180784.
8:53:21 AM Receiving Headers from news.giganews.com. Range 39517371-39966403. Local Cache Pointer is at: 39517371.
8:53:48 AM Receiving Headers from news.giganews.com. Range 21527194-21605327. Local Cache Pointer is at: 21527194.
8:53:53 AM Receiving Headers from news.giganews.com. Range 7693940-7699535. Local Cache Pointer is at: 7693940.
8:53:54 AM Receiving Headers from news.giganews.com. Range 9684091-9865731. Local Cache Pointer is at: 9684091.
8:54:05 AM Receiving Headers from news.giganews.com. Range 91505567-93175031. Local Cache Pointer is at: 91505567.
Last edited by pzam on Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pzam

Post by pzam »

Wow this is lots slower. I wonder why the headers sort so slow in explorer. At first I could not even adjust the column width's it seemed to be doing something for over a minute. I suspect having it and windows on the same drive is a no no.

I added newleecher.ini
tempFolder=E:\NewsLeecher\temp\
dataFolder=E:\NewsLeecher\data\

Just make the ini in your userapps/newleecher before running newleecher and adding servers and such.

I recall smudge telling me about this.

This should speed me up again. I hope to get this reinstall of everything done today.
Last edited by pzam on Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

81RED

Post by 81RED »

Header management is randomly out of whack - at one moment a group contains the correct number of new headers, the next moment that number has increased by several hundred million, or perhaps just by 100 thousand, it seems random but is nevertheless totally wrong. Leads to some interesting and lengthy updates indeed, header compression or not. :wink:

pzam

Post by pzam »

81red wrote:Header management is randomly out of whack or not. :wink:
I noticed that also but it seemed to do that at first but if you wait a few minutes it catches up and gets then right. I don't know why it seems to go to sleep a bit waiting for the compressed headers to get sent. I changed my retry to 5 seconds but don't thing that really helped it.

pzam

Post by pzam »

nul :oops:
Last edited by pzam on Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

acousticrand

Shift-PgUp and Shift-PgDn do not work as before in articles view

Post by acousticrand »

I used to highlight pages of articles to delete in Article view, and then hit the shift-delete key (Shift-PgDn, Shift-PgUp). It worked just as Shift-UpArrow and Shift-DnArrow, only by pages rather than single articles.

Is this a bug or is it documented somewhere (perhaps key bindings?)

I really miss that, and used it a lot. Would appreciate any pointers if I am missing a keybinding somewhere.

Rand

Eric10301

Post by Eric10301 »

Can you guys bring back the right click -> Unload Groups and right click -> Article Count Check to the Articles area?

pzam

Post by pzam »

Eric10301

The right click unload works for me , I dont see a count, but there is a count button just in the columb header
Last edited by pzam on Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pzam

Post by pzam »

I finally got it reinstalled with the data and cache working on a alternate drive. Started the headers downloading again.

I changed lots of settings as usual from default.

Tweaks....
download skip existing files >true
show splash-screen >false

auto connect/connection retry
retry after 5 seconds

Download
default download folder= alt-drive\download
uncheck other 2 boxes.
pause if disk space gets below 10,000,000 leave some room to unrar something and if drive gets to full NTFS drives freak out (look on your administrator error logs some time).

par2
check all, except maybe ordered rar set unless you like it.

group browsing
uncheck update on activate and mark-old on update
group retention 450 or what ever your computer can take.

nzb files
check associate with nzb uncheck activate on nzbimport
Zip compress unchecked

download settings
check save to nzb sub-folder check pretty names

auto import scanner
check auto import check auto connect
make a folder path for them
move imported to sub-folder will need to clean this some times.set to delete otherwise.

repair and extract
check enable
check dl Que auto unpause
check dl Que auto cleaning
change to custom folder location
set location to alt-drive\completed-files
uncheck extract to seprate sub-folder uncheck date time prefex
after succ.extract perminatly delete archive and par2 files.

then if you use nzbs it will put things in a folder when done
if you manually select stuff to download export to nzb then open that nzb or move it to the import dir.

This will download everything and extract it pretty automatically then just have to clean up some sfv and nfo and random little junk. It makes newsleecher pretty easy to use.

**The one thing newsleecher needs to make this better is when you click save the nzb it ask download folder or the auto-nzb-import folder.

eekamouse

Post by eekamouse »

it wont scroll bots list

grimlock72

Post by grimlock72 »

pzam wrote:**The one thing newsleecher needs to make this better is when you click save the nzb it ask download folder or the auto-nzb-import folder.
If you want to download an nzb via newsleecher and have NL download the contents of said nzb, use 'Open' (Ctrl-R) to open the nzb, not 'download/leech'.

infiniter

It's getting worse, somehow...

Post by infiniter »

I'm running XP Pro on a 2.8GHz Dual Core with 2GB RAM.
There are new, negative issues since 4.8b:

1. the header updating stops from time to time (I suppose this is due to decompression of the headers)

2. while updating 5 groups at once was no problem before, it now seems to be (NL froze somewhen while updating, I could only see a small requester window frame, but since the window content was not updated due to freezing I could not see what it said)

3. after installing it over 4.7b, it first ran and the about window showed my license details, then after a second start, it killed the license key and I had to fetch a new one

4. After the first start I updated some groups, did some downloads and accidentally used the close button -> it showed the well-known bug report window, the characters in the Repair 'n Extract windows were garbled and NL asked to clean some groups because of the advanced settings. I selected "No". Then, after a new start, the header counts of that groups showed a number as if purged (308 mio.). But updating did just load about 260.000 headers (which is normal) and the header count did not change. It remained at around 308mio.

5. So I started to update some other groups. One of these had 12 mio. headers. After updating, I closed NL and it came up again with the "Group cleaning" window. This time I chose "Yes". After the next start, the just updated groups were empty. Means, the group cleaning deleted the 12 mio. headers. So the cleaning does not what it's supposed to be. If it can detect that 25% of the headers are garbage - then why it does not only delete the garbage??
Now I wonder how to turn this feature off... Set the limit to 100%?

6. After the mess from item 5. I updated one of the groups again with "Latest 1.000.000 headers". But, when the update was done, it showed only headers that were between 30 days and 125 days old. But I don't think that a well-used group like ab.divx.german only had 1 mio. header within 95 days and no new post since 30 days.
So I tried "Delete cached headers", did "Article count" and the group showed 7 mio. headers. Then I did "Latest 100.000 headers" and then it showed headers between 0 days and 8 days. So it seems that 4.8 messed up all header indexes.

7. one of the new features, the additional progress bar (green), disappeared after the second start and I can't find any option to turn it on/off.

8. After updating further groups, the next update before changing to the next group made the group header count go up like it was purged. A catch-up did not change it. This was in the articles tab list view of the groups. So I had to make a "Delete cached headers" and then "Latest 100" to get a correct group header count. Then I had the stupid idea to fetch the latest 1 mio. headers again and then, after the next update, the group header count was again at that 106 mio. like the first time. So the error repeats.

Something good: the header compression works fine and is really a gain!
Last edited by infiniter on Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:24 am, edited 7 times in total.

Chinch

Post by Chinch »

very happy to see a new beta release... thought it would never get here!

also glad to see the (re)implementation of a lot of the older features that i missed a lot. there are a few more that i'd like to see back in there.... but i can't put my finger on it. i'll think about it some...

all in all.. i'm thankful for the new release, although i can kind of confirm that the 'hanging' bug still exists unfortunately.... i had a group loaded, i believe i minimized the window (if not, it lost context to another window) and then when i came back to browse again... hang (not responding)... but it eventually unfreezes again after some time. i wish i had more info to give you... somehow i could help. i know my antivirus was off at the time, cause it was complaining of your installer having something in it... so that can't be it....

also i have a pretty up to date computer... intel i7, 4gb ram... only factors that could throw a wrench in it are 1) win7... and 2) 64-bit.

question to dev(s)... is making a 64-bit version as simple as compiling it as 64 bit code, or do actual changes have to be made in the code to accomodate that 'double processing' bandwidth? it's been a while since my days of coding... but i do remember like the 32bit unsigned int, then there was a long int that was maybe 64-bit....? i have no idea.. just babbling. thanks for the new release though! something to toy around with....

i saw you have the post update while downloading... what about an incremental check of headers? like once every minute retreive header count? that'd be kinda cool... wait.. i think that's sorta implemented... in the 'auto update' feature in the group listing... but i believe that's for pulling down the actual headers, not a simple header *count*, correct?

one last question -- if you are using giganews + giganews accelerator for compression, is it best to turn the new XFEAT compression on or off? thanks!!