NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 9

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
Spiril
Site Admin

NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 9

Post by Spiril »

Please post your questions / comments regarding NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 9 in this forum thread.
Last edited by Spiril on Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

Lundis2

huge improvment

Post by Lundis2 »

Well I noticed an huge improvment on browsing virtual groups.
Before it was pretty much impossible to list them. Now its like it use to be
a few versions ago.
"Leech first" works again with ctrl+shift+D.
Thanks for the fix. Those two where causing me some head ache.

One thing though. I still suffer a pretty annoying bug.
If I have SSL connections and I pause them without disconnecting from the server, newsleecher lockup. Its been like this for several versions now.
I can activate and deactivate normal servers without a problem. Its just SSL enabled servers that cause this problem.
I hope you can fix this isssue soon.

Lundis

rdowns

Unable to download

Post by rdowns »

I can't download V4.0 Beta 9. I keep downloading Beta 8 instead.

My ISP is Comcast and I even tried downloading from https://www.newsleecher.com//?id=download&dlinB=nl_b

Any suggestions?

rbsfou

Post by rbsfou »

Yeah, i keep getting Beta 8 from that link too. I've long since wanted newsleecher to put the version number in the filename - surely this isn't hard to do guys?

On Virgin Media ISP (UK), but when i get it via a http proxy in the US i get the REAL file. Suspect like me it's your ISP's fault for implementing a transparent proxy instead of REAL port 80! In time their proxy should tire and get you the real file. The fact the file ('Content-length') seems to be the same size as the previous version isn't helping i'd imagine :(

rdowns

Post by rdowns »

Maybe if the betas had what version they were as part of the file name might help with the proxies?

Quaraxkad

Post by Quaraxkad »

A couple observations:
  • Fetching "turbo-headers" is very inconsistent. Inconsistent enough that I'm never sure if my subscribed groups have a full set of up-to-date headers. Occasionally when updating, one update thread will freeze on header #2, according to the Description column on the connections panel. I have to right click that "bot" and "Reset connection". Trying to update a second time seems to work, but I have no way of telling if my headers are now 100% complete, or if the failed update caused the next successful update to start retrieving headers from a higher pointer than what's actually stored in my cache, in effect leaving an "empty" spot in the middle.

The error log for failed updates shows:

Code: Select all

12:53:43 AM Loading Group for Updating: "alt.binaries.multimedia.comedy".
    12:53:44 AM  * Group Entries Active   :      4.775   ( total cache loadtime was 67ms )
    12:53:44 AM  * Group Entries Deleted  :          0   ( manually deleted from group cache )
    12:53:44 AM  * Group Entries Garbage  :      0.00%   ( group cache cleaning will be activated at 50% )
    12:53:44 AM  * Group Entries Outdated :          0   ( articles older than the set group retention, which is 500 days )
    12:53:44 AM Receiving Headers from news.giganews.com. Range 346032668-492090952. Local Cache Pointer is at: 37240753.
    12:53:44 AM  * Local Group Cache Pointer is behind the server pointers. Setting Pointer to: 346032668.
    12:53:44 AM XOver Error : "news.giganews.com" was unable to receive group headers.
    12:53:44 AM  * Server response: 211 2348174 34892580 37240753 alt.binaries.multimedia.comedy - (0).

Code: Select all

12:54:07 AM Loading Group for Updating: "alt.binaries.sounds.lossless.1990s".
    12:54:07 AM  * Group Entries Active   :      9.874   ( total cache loadtime was 64ms )
    12:54:07 AM  * Group Entries Deleted  :          0   ( manually deleted from group cache )
    12:54:07 AM  * Group Entries Garbage  :      0.00%   ( group cache cleaning will be activated at 50% )
    12:54:07 AM  * Group Entries Outdated :          0   ( articles older than the set group retention, which is 500 days )
    12:54:07 AM Receiving Headers from news.giganews.com. Range 69786386-86359515. Local Cache Pointer is at: 890142.
    12:54:07 AM  * Local Group Cache Pointer is behind the server pointers. Setting Pointer to: 69786386.
    12:54:07 AM XOver Error : "news.giganews.com" was unable to receive group headers.
    12:54:07 AM  * Server response: 211 402477 487666 890142 alt.binaries.sounds.lossless.1990s - (0).

• When you enter no search term in Supersearch, it still allows you to click Go, and returns the most recent 15000 posts. Seems like a waste of server resources.
  • If you accidentally right click a group and select Delete Cached Headers while that group is updating, Newsleecher crashes.
  • When Newsleecher crashes, any changes you made in the settings or window layout (column widths, etc), are all lost. One time it also seems to have randomized the order of items I had recently added to the queue.
  • On the "Active Group Menu", there is no indicator of what group or groups are currently loaded, except for the menu title. Could there be a checkbox next to loaded groups?
  • When switching to and from compressed headers, Newsleecher re-downloads every header.
  • And one forum bug: Text after a BBCode CODE tag seems to automatically be in a larger text size. I set this item manually back to "Normal" size, to show the difference. EDIT: Nevermind, this seems to be a bug in my browser.
Last edited by Quaraxkad on Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

newsman

Post by newsman »

From changelog

*: This release uses less system resources when downloading
articles.

newsleecher use 2-3-6% cpu while dl @ 15 Mbps no RnR win xp 32 bit.
I'd say that looks very good and keep up optimize it! I did not try headers.

Smudge
Site Admin

Re: Unable to download

Post by Smudge »

rdowns wrote:I can't download V4.0 Beta 9. I keep downloading Beta 8 instead.

My ISP is Comcast and I even tried downloading from https://www.newsleecher.com//?id=download&dlinB=nl_b

Any suggestions?
If you have problems with a proxy sending the old version, try downloading from http://www.newsleecher.com/old/ instead. It has the version in the filename so it should bypass the proxy caching problem.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

zetaprime

Files not removed after extraction

Post by zetaprime »

In 4.0 beta 9 the set of rar files is not deleted after they are extracted.

The following error message is displayed instead.

* Unable to copy/move file. Returned Error "The system cannot find the path specified".

bbarker

Post by bbarker »

On the Articles tab, if you have something in the Quick Search box and then delete it (or dbl-click), it unsorts the list of articles and none of the columns show the "sort" arrow.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

Can you post more of the log showing where it was trying to move the files?
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

hsieg

Re: Unable to download

Post by hsieg »

rdowns wrote:I can't download V4.0 Beta 9. I keep downloading Beta 8 instead.

dd
Any suggestions?
FYI, got that same problem with the last beta release... Turns out it was Google Chrome getting me back the previous version I had downloaded a few weeks back... Clearing chrome's cache did the trick for me...

mi643

Post by mi643 »

I use 2 screens, and the 'sub'menu`s don't follow newsleecher, they always show up in the main screen.

I use a larger font (10) in vista, the text in newsleecher does not always fit in the borders.

not really bugs, but.

I hate the reset button in leech specify!

I want different colors in the que and supersearch. now my brain has to think if newsleecher is in the Tab SuperSearch or Queue.

I want a option for collections to show Always open.

Chinch

Post by Chinch »

just wanted to say thanks again for the hard work everyone... spiril, smudge, etc... super glad to see development picking back up again... two releases in a week or so now? looks like lots of the bugs are getting worked out and this is on its way to hitting final sometime. of course, we don't wanna rush a final.. rather it take longer and be a stable end product.

i also think for version 5 you may want to look into furthering Windows 7 support, if only simple things such as queue progress bar on the taskbar icon, or tray right click menu options available from a pinned icon. not sure how easy or hard that is to implement, so i'll let you guys decide that, but i just want to say that is one of the top features i am looking forward to.

oh... and one last comment about beta9 and the 4.x series. looks like a lot of optimization has been going on (good!), but there is still one area i would like to point out, maybe i'll post it in another area to highlight it a bit more..... but grouping of compilations is a bit off still.. here is a perfect example of when files do NOT get grouped:

subject: some random common data in the subject 01 this file
subject: some random common data in the subject 02 this file
subject: some random common data in the subject 03 this file

in this case, these are not grouped, even though the start of the subjects is common, and they are all from the same poster. maybe you could experiment on a simple filter that will do something like... if the first 20 characters of the subject is the same, and they're by the same poster on the same day, then group them?

i'm not sure how the logic on "grouping" is implemented -- by filename or by subject or both. just a suggestion, this is the last real "problem" i'm seeing with compilations.

thanks again for all the hard work! i pay for your software and will continue to do so since this is quality software with great support!

frbie

Post by frbie »

Hello,

the new version works fine with Kubuntu 9.10 and Wine.