NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 10

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
leifsjensen

Post by leifsjensen »

Spiril wrote:Here's an unofficial forum release of NewsLeecher, which fixes some of the bugs from the official beta 10 release:

http://www.newsleecher.com/nluft1.exe

<pre>!: Fixed bug introduced in beta 10, where a "Unknown Temp Folder"
dialog would sometimes popup when closing NewsLeecher.
!: Fixed bug introdiced in beta 10, where the 'Get Latest X Headers'
feature didn't work under certain circumstances.
!: Fixed bug introduced in beta 10, where the thumb preview panel
didn't work properly.</pre>
It fixed the Get latest X Headers, but "Update all NEW headers" still gets ALL Headers ( even after a Catch-up )

the doctor

Turbo Headers d/l very slow

Post by the doctor »

300,000 headers taking 8 min to download speed of 3.4 Kb/s

Started happening on update to v4b10 - also d/l forum release - still the same.

p0W3Rh0u5e

Post by p0W3Rh0u5e »

Another bug, temp-download-files ("!! newsleecher download - do not delete - -????????? !!") are'nt deleted when you remove files from the queue, while they're downloadng.

JMark

Post by JMark »

Unable to open B10. Bug crash on every startup:

Bug Data1:
wqewq:: 0 :: 0 :: 58684

Bug Data2:
Argument out of range

Will try the fix listed at the beginning of this thread. Seems to be a premature release.

JMark

Post by JMark »

Nope, didnt work. I still have the following bug every time I start up:

Bug Data1:
wqewq:: 0 :: 0 :: 58684

Bug Data2:
Argument out of range

What to do now? I cannot use this application.

Bags

Post by Bags »

Do a re-install!
Clean up and start again ... or use a final version!

This is what Betas are about! :roll:

JMark

Post by JMark »

Done. No good.

And yes, I something about betas having been around since '75.... and was alpha and beta tester for several MS products.

JMark

Post by JMark »

The error occurs on header fetch. If I move all files out of the \Roaming\Newsleecher folder, it opens fine and of course, has none of my subscribed groups.) But once I attempt to do a group fetch, it crashes with the same error. Therefore, the issue lies during the creation or update of the groups.dat file.

pmetzger

Super Fast Load times for me vs b9!

Post by pmetzger »

Beta 9 was taking 4-5 mins to load, I can now launch b10 in seconds. THANKS SO MUCH! (I havn't tried the unoficial b10 forums ver yet, should everyone use this instead of the official one, or just people with specific problems?)

One thing I havn't seen yet and am very concerned about was beta 9 lost all download progress if not shut down properly, ie computer freezes, app crashes, etc.

I am super excited about the downloads being writen directly to download folder! The old system of writing to a cache file was anoying to say the least, especialy when the newsgroups are full of virus now days, and I use free anti-vir which pops up every time 1 part of an article of a virus downloaded.

Thanks so much for your hard work on this one, expecting great things of v4 final!

flatstuff

beta 10 and "openfiles"

Post by flatstuff »

with new beta, with option set to keep open (read) files, it is not saving the file in the download directory as it was in all previous versions

so if I open the first Rar file to check it out and then download the rest, the first file is missing

newsman

Post by newsman »

leifsjensen wrote: It fixed the Get latest X Headers, but "Update all NEW headers" still gets ALL Headers ( even after a Catch-up )
I agree same happens to me on beta unofficial 11. Try get new headers attepts to re get all headers every put into a newsgroup.

Necrosat

Headers

Post by Necrosat »

Same problem here - trying to load all headers from scratch.

Have one set (alt.cellular.cingular) - let it go all the way through (2585 days old wirth of messages!) and then deleted all headers.
Re-setting and asking it to "load new" reloads the entire set one more time. - ARGH!

Going back to 9 for now.

theprimal

Post by theprimal »

I reported this with b9 already, noone ever got back to me if it is a bug or not. Nothing major but it really bothers me:

Keyboard-shortcuts: Page Up/Page Down + Shift no longer marks a page of articles. Instead Newsleecher tries to scroll to the left/right (provided there is a scrollbar).
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience

JMark

Post by JMark »

theprimal wrote:I reported this with b9 already, noone ever got back to me if it is a bug or not. Nothing major but it really bothers me:

Keyboard-shortcuts: Page Up/Page Down + Shift no longer marks a page of articles. Instead Newsleecher tries to scroll to the left/right (provided there is a scrollbar).
Same here

Mirx

Post by Mirx »

[qoute]
Technically speaking, yEnc encoded articles are now written
directly to the download destination folder, instead of being
written to a temporary disk location first
[/quote]

Is this a selectable option???

I ask because I only have 1 internal HD installed and I use a RAM disk as my tempory download directory. If I cannot split the temporary and download directory, this means I cannot use this configuration anymore right?.
If so, this will mean everything needs to go to the HD instead of being stored in memory, and it will slow things down instead of speading them up.