4-10 - always downloads all headers?

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
tommo123

4-10 - always downloads all headers?

Post by tommo123 »

worked ok in the past. think this started for me with 4.9 tbh though. i click on 'article count' and various groups show anything from 100's to 100,000's. i update one and it downloads millions!

it remembers that doesnt need to download everything when i click on article count, but not when i actually do the downloading.

TifKag

Post by TifKag »

From the Beta 10 thread
Spiril wrote:Here's an unofficial forum release of NewsLeecher, which fixes some of the bugs from the official beta 10 release:

http://www.newsleecher.com/nluft1.exe

<pre>!: Fixed bug introduced in beta 10, where a "Unknown Temp Folder"
dialog would sometimes popup when closing NewsLeecher.
!: Fixed bug introdiced in beta 10, where the 'Get Latest X Headers'
feature didn't work under certain circumstances.
!: Fixed bug introduced in beta 10, where the thumb preview panel
didn't work properly.</pre>

tommo123

Post by tommo123 »

thanks dude :)

tommo123

Post by tommo123 »

installed it, and now a blank screen where the server etc info used to be. ffs!

tommo123

Post by tommo123 »

so, apart from using SS, all i can do is permanently download a few million headers every time i want to update headers?

walkingdolphin

Post by walkingdolphin »

tommo123 wrote:so, apart from using SS, all i can do is permanently download a few million headers every time i want to update headers?
I'm using ssl with the forum patch and still have it re-downloading all headers, except now it doesn't do it for every group. I subscribe to four groups and sometimes it gets 3 of them right and not the one, then a different three and a new one gets xxx,xxx,xxx headers. Doesn't seem to be a pattern I can identify.

walkingdolphin

Possible connection

Post by walkingdolphin »

I may have discovered a connection to the problem of always getting all headers.

It is my practice to delete everything from the cache when I am done going through a newsgroup.

Instead of deleting everything, I've been leaving at least one msg from each of my 4 newsgroups.

That seems to fix the problem -- at least so far. I tried it again with all deleted and I got one newsgroup again going for all headers not just since last download or "new" posts.

Is it possible that the way Newsleecher remembers where it left off has been changed from earlier versions and now it must have at least one message present in a group or it thinks it has never downloaded any headers?

Quaraxkad

Re: Possible connection

Post by Quaraxkad »

walkingdolphin wrote:Instead of deleting everything, I've been leaving at least one msg from each of my 4 newsgroups.

That seems to fix the problem -- at least so far. I tried it again with all deleted and I got one newsgroup again going for all headers not just since last download or "new" posts.

Is it possible that the way Newsleecher remembers where it left off has been changed from earlier versions and now it must have at least one message present in a group or it thinks it has never downloaded any headers?
That isn't the way newsleecher is intended to be used. Instead of deleting the headers, mark them as old.

tommo123

Post by tommo123 »

umm, that leads to huuuuuge installs

my 4b8 was well over a gig due to no delete option

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

That is because the earlier version didn't actually remove the data in the cache files. it just marked them to not be shown. The current version will purge the old headers out of the cache files so they won't be as large.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

tunage

Post by tunage »

Experiencing the exact same problem ... went back to Beta 8 (Beta 9 had program not reposnding issues that I thought Beta 10 would fix, but the bug with grabbing all headers instead of just new .... waiting for Beta 11

tommo123

Post by tommo123 »

choose to mark as old instead as smudge says. dont think he's quite right about the install size since mine is at the mo over 200 meg but at least i dont have to constantly redownload all headers

Quaraxkad

Post by Quaraxkad »

tommo123 wrote:choose to mark as old instead as smudge says. dont think he's quite right about the install size since mine is at the mo over 200 meg but at least i dont have to constantly redownload all headers
I think you are confusing Delete From Cache (Shift+Del) and Mark As Old (Del). Delete From Cache does what Smudge says.

tommo123

Post by tommo123 »

if i delete from cache, it redownloads the headers again

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

and i think spiril found/fixed a bug regarding this in the current alpha so it should be fixed in the next beta release.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.