NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 11

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
Spiril
Site Admin

NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 11

Post by Spiril » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:50 pm

Please post your questions / comments regarding NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 11 in this forum thread.
Last edited by Spiril on Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

doc-f

truncated posts

Post by doc-f » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:38 pm

4.0.11 appears to have fixed the problem I was having with truncated posts.
It was driving me crazy. Thought I had a problem with newsserver.

pgjensen

Post by pgjensen » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:13 pm

When trying to register it (it said my license was expired and i removed my registration, then restarted NL)... it says "Invalid NewsLeecher Version Specified (2)"

this is after i put in my password and click "Complete Registration"

EDIT: now it seems to work

p0W3Rh0u5e

Post by p0W3Rh0u5e » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:57 pm

Well, this beta works alot better than the previous ones, good work. :)

Downloads work as expected, adding stuff to my big queue is super-fast now and i don't have pauses while downloading.

But, what i do heave, are alot of slow temp file save warnings in my log.

"Warning! Slow Temp File Save :: Bytes Written: 384.000 :: Time: 729,8ms :: Per Sec: ~ 0,502 MB :: SaveThreadListCnt: 11".

I said it more than once, my storage device can't be the problem, it's super-fast RAID-setup. A problem could be the size of those articles, if you really write every single article directly to disk, without caching, this will be slow. But more importantly, if you're flushing the file, after every write (article) you'll loose every functionality of write-caches and again, speed.

I like the new engine and how it works now, but pleeeeeeeeease, add a cache (it does'nt have to be a single cache, could be one cache for every save-thread too), prefered with a nerdy option to tweak it's size. ;)

Another problem, which was introduced in beta10 and is'nt fixed in beta11, is the (un)pausing-function. I simply can't use it on file-sets that have been set to paused in beta9 and earlier. To unpause them, i have to uncollapse the set and unpause the single files...

Sets that have been added in b10 and 11 are different, because if i add them paused, only the thread is set to paused, not alle it's files. I totally see the enhancement here, it's great to not loose pause-states of files, if you pause a whole set, so you will not automatically unpause par2-files if you unpause such a thread later...

But there should be a better handling for threads that have all files set to paused... What would be the best? If i set such a thread to unpause i, would expect NL to set everying in it to unpause but handle par2-files with respecting the par2 files leech tweak-settings, especially "auto pause par2-files".

Rainmaker

Post by Rainmaker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:01 pm

Hi,

I've done a forum search but haven't found anything. Could anyone please point me to a post (or else help me out with a reply) as to how to make a backup of NL settings before upgrading from beta 10 to 11?

Many thanks in advance.

p0W3Rh0u5e

Post by p0W3Rh0u5e » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:36 pm

Rainmaker wrote: as to how to make a backup of NL settings before upgrading from beta 10 to 11?
Just make a copy of that folder:

Code: Select all

3.8b7 and later stored in %APPDATA%\NewsLeecher directory
2000/XP C:\Documents and Settings\[current user]\Application Data\NewsLeecher
Vista/Win7 C:\Users\[current user]\Application Data\NewsLeecher or C:\Users\[current user]\Application Data\Roaming\NewsLeecher

Rainmaker

Post by Rainmaker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:38 pm

p0W3Rh0u5e wrote: Just make a copy of that folder:
Many thanks. :)

Shalom2010

Post by Shalom2010 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:53 pm

This beta does so far seem to resolve my pausing...has anyone else found any pausing now??

Can someone tell me if the new feature Xfeat compression works with Giganews as it appears not to download any quicker! (using Newsbin I get a recorded download of 80+ meg with 15 meg actual download so the headers download at rocket speed - not that way with NL)
Best Regards

Steven...Chigwell, Essex

unfrostedpoptart

Post by unfrostedpoptart » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:42 pm

Thanks for the new beta - look great.

I'm running it on my Mac under CrossOver Office. This has worked since you fixed the oreans problem.

However, SuperSearch still doesn't work in this configuration. It just sits there forever saying "initializing". Any ideas?

David

unfrostedpoptart

Post by unfrostedpoptart » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:41 pm

unfrostedpoptart wrote:Thanks for the new beta - look great.

I'm running it on my Mac under CrossOver Office. This has worked since you fixed the oreans problem.

However, SuperSearch still doesn't work in this configuration. It just sits there forever saying "initializing". Any ideas?

David
Registration hangs, too :(

iainfrerichs

Post by iainfrerichs » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:36 am

I am seeing multiple "Slow Temp File Save" messages logged too.

When leeching, everything goes fine for a while (in the case of the test I just ran that's 65 minutes).

After that, very frequent errors. It looks like the number of errors matches the number of parts in the post. The amount of time to save seems to cycle up to 32K ms before resetting to a low value.

As a test, once this erroring was started, I disabled R'n'E and tried to pause all but a single connection, in order to check if the errors really were 1 per article.

When I tried to pause the connection newsleecher became unresponsive, 1 of the CPU cores of my quad-core became pinned to 90+%, and the newsleecher process had to be killed.

MAJ28

Probably intentional

Post by MAJ28 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:07 am

This looks clearly intentional, but VERY annoying since I didn't see it in the release notes @ viewtopic.php?t=18327

Right clicking on an item in the queue and CHANGE DL FOLDER, error:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notice - Newsleecher

Unable to change download destination folder.

Unable to change download destination folder. This feature will be re-enabled in a later beta release.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Vista Ultimate x64, 3GB, SATA RAID 0. Upgraded from Beta 10.)

-jason

grimlock72

Post by grimlock72 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:25 am

Can't get speed-scheduler to work. Main-screen left-bottom keeps saying 'Speed: Unlimited' while the right-click on the speed-graph shows it's on 'Speed Limit [scheduled]' but NL downloads at full speed (should be 80%) so it's not working as it should.

bjbjusmc82

Catchup still not working

Post by bjbjusmc82 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:54 am

I installed beta 11 on a fresh install of xp subscribed my groups, down loaded all new headers on the first try all went well, next day got article count and all seemed normal (dvdr group showed 100,000 plus headers) then used update down load latest 1,000,000 headers and so it did on all groups, there was not that many new headers! tried catchup for all groups and it will still download 1,000,000 headers but only show the latest few.
why does it keep downloading all these unnecassary headers?

kublai

Re: Probably intentional

Post by kublai » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:17 am

I totally agree that it is very annoying since I use this feature alot after importing a nzb file. Not sure why it was taken out since b10 but hopefully this will be put back in the next beta.
MAJ28 wrote:This looks clearly intentional, but VERY annoying since I didn't see it in the release notes @ viewtopic.php?t=18327

Right clicking on an item in the queue and CHANGE DL FOLDER, error:
Notice - Newsleecher

Unable to change download destination folder.

Unable to change download destination folder. This feature will be re-enabled in a later beta release.

(Vista Ultimate x64, 3GB, SATA RAID 0. Upgraded from Beta 10.)

-jason