Temporary folder in download folder - new since beta 12

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
Marilith

Temporary folder in download folder - new since beta 12

Post by Marilith »

Hello,

I do not like this 'feature'. Not a bit. Why?

I usually delete the entire download folder for a group, when I am done with it. This must work while Newsleecher is still running. This silly temporary folder inside prevents that now. Its extremely annoying.

Also there is a security problem: This folder is deleted by Newsleecher when it ends (cleanup of the rest must be done afterwards - which is a mess). I often _erase_ (i.e. overwrite using the program 'eraser') my folders, when I am done with them. This is now impossible.

I found the idea of temporary NL files inside the download folders annoying, but could live with it. But with this new 'feature' I do not want to live.

Please change it ASAP, or please make it configurable, so that I can select a temporary folder.

(Sorry - since the betas are very unstable, ever changing and sometimes unusable for me, I did not test beta 12 to 15, so I just saw this today, when testing beta 16)

Thanks
Marilith

scca229

Post by scca229 »

I WISH the beta's were ever changing...or heck, even solidifying and releasing a Final more often than say every 2+ years. 3.9 Final was released in May of 2008. Looking at the handy dandy calendar on my desktop, that month would be coming up in a few days. I think it's about time for that next Final.

terrestrial

Post by terrestrial »

I agree, this sucks. I have exactly the same problem! It even causes file system corruption when trying to delete a folder while ít's locked.

Why should there be a temp folder in every download folder. This just seems like bad programming. I already have Newsleecher on a seperate disk for speed with the tmp folder under my newsleecher folder so the system doesn't have to copy pieces from one disk to another.

FIX IT ASAP

Heimiko

Post by Heimiko »

+1

I'd like to see this configurable as well.
like with the INI file as was possible previously:

newsleecher.ini
tempFolder=D:\Temp\NewsLeecher\

Post by 9153465743 »

+1

ColdBrew

Post by ColdBrew »

I agree make this an option! It conflicts with BeyondTV in some way and causes Newsleecher to complain when downloading in to directories that BeyondTV monitors for video files it can play.

Allows us to set an option that makes it work like it did in beta 11! PLEASE!

sheepshagger

Post by sheepshagger »

why not go back to the previous beta that worked?

ColdBrew

Post by ColdBrew »

sheepshagger wrote:why not go back to the previous beta that worked?
Maybe because we want the current and future new features (plus bug fixes)? If I was just going to use the older version I wouldn't continue to buy the new versions.

sheepshagger

Post by sheepshagger »

what new features from b12 onwards do you use that b11 didnt have?

ColdBrew

Post by ColdBrew »

sheepshagger wrote:what new features from b12 onwards do you use that b11 didnt have?
I'm hoping that they will be adding useful features in the future. One of those features should be the option to use the old style temp folder for downloads. IMHO

Scuttle

Post by Scuttle »

The "!! newsleecher temporary !!" is hopefylly just a lazy temporary (heh) fix. I have a hard time imagining this being an actual solution that will end up in the final, non-beta, version.

Windows already has a %TEMP% folder, and there is no reason to put these files in the download-folders.

sheepshagger

Post by sheepshagger »

ColdBrew wrote:
sheepshagger wrote:what new features from b12 onwards do you use that b11 didnt have?
I'm hoping that they will be adding useful features in the future. One of those features should be the option to use the old style temp folder for downloads. IMHO
so at the moment nothing then?

scca229

Post by scca229 »

sheepshagger wrote:
ColdBrew wrote:
so at the moment nothing then?
How about the new SuperSearch settings that only work in Beta 18+? Having the older methods of the temp files is now pretty much necessary for the 4 Final.

That's just one of many improvements that I do like, but they are all offset by detriments that have also been made in each new beta release.

Post by 9153465743 »

Still would like to see a selectable location for the "!! newsleecher temporary !!" folder.
I use a ramdisk for the temp files.

I can't find a way to redirect the "!! newsleecher temporary !!" folder because the path changes for every NZB.
Why not keep the "!! newsleecher temporary !!" folder on one (selectable) location?
When the location is always the same i can make a junction point linking to the ramdisk.