NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 20 issues

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
doppler

Post by doppler »

ericdevet wrote:Hi,
Running Win7 64bit on an i7 920.

I got only one issue with this release.
Under supersearch when you move the cursor(arrow) over the last entry, that entry is ghosted on the next line for a seccond or so.

It gives me no real problems, but it cold be the beginning of a greater problem later on.
This ghosting I have seen too. It started after the last Microsoft Windows update. Not surprising in the least.

NOT RELATED TO NL.

abeloin

Post by abeloin »

Another update for the issue with McAfee, it is still ongoing. It's been a month now they've asked me for another week to continue "investigating" the software.

So it's seems there is no fix in sight... :(

I think you should revise the faq on the Anti-Virus and incluse McAfee VirusScan and Total Protection as incompatible.

cronl33

Post by cronl33 »

Bug Data1:
wqewq:: 0 :: 0 :: 40

Bug Data2:
Argument out of range
================

I give up. The download paths ARE NOT over 260 characters. Why does it keep reading them as that? What the hell is wrong with it?

You want to do us all a favor? THEN STOP FORCING US TO UPGRADE BY DISABLING THE SUPERSEARCH IN EARLIER VERSIONS. Ok? I know you're proud you upgraded the search engine but your recent beta updates DON'T WORK PROPERLY.

It means I HAVE TO USE AN OLDER VERSION OF NEWSLEECHER. Where you've disabled supersearch. Great. Do you realize how frustrating this is? Do you even care?

I had problems with beta19 that forced me to go back. i hoped they'd been resolved in 20 but now I have new problems. Stop forcing people to upgrade, at least not until you get the software running properly.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

That is a corrupted entry in your queue, not that the download path is over the length limit.

Also, you don't have to use the beta version if you don't want to. The beta version, and the new SuperSearch server, is still in testing and can change or stop working at any moment. We appreciate helpful problem reports in order to improve the software.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

lzvk25

Post by lzvk25 »

Maybe this can help with the McAfee Issue in the meantime :

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?p ... id=KB50298

Disable McAfee On-Access Scanner Service

How to activate the Disable On-Access Scan menu option in the VirusScan Enterprise system tray icon

Solution :

Beginning with VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i, the Access Protection feature
can deny attempts to stop McAfee services by users or applications.

To activate the Disable On-Access Scan menu option in the VirusScan system tray icon:

1. Click Start, Programs, Mcafee, VirusScan Console.
2. Double-click Access Protection.
3. Deselect Prevent McAfee Services from being stopped.
4. Click Apply and OK.
5. Exit the VirusScan Console.

To verify that the On-Access Scanner can be stopped and started:

1. In the system tray, right-click the VirusScan icon and select Disable On-Access Scan.
2. In the system tray, right-click the VirusScan icon and select Enable On-Access Scan.

NOTE: Disabling Prevent McAfee Services from being stopped can negatively affect the security of your systems. Only use this option if it is absolutely required.

NOTE 2 : At least for those who have McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5 like me, this works, the system is more responsive and faster and NewsLeecher works without problems.
Last edited by lzvk25 on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cronl33

Post by cronl33 »

ok smudge but what am I supposed to do? It's a corrupted entry in my queue, but nothing was corrupted before i upgraded to beta20. Now i have a new problem :
Bug Data1:
wqewq:: 0 :: 0 :: 1

Bug Data2:
Argument out of range
I can't download with newsleecher at all now. Not in beta 20 or in beta9. And the reason I'm upset is because I would have loved to keep using my older beta9 version but that choice was taken away from me when supersearch was disabled in that older version, forcing me to upgrade to beta20.

abeloin

Post by abeloin »

lzvk25 wrote:Maybe this can help with the McAfee Issue in the meantime :

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?p ... id=KB50298

Disable McAfee On-Access Scanner Service

How to activate the Disable On-Access Scan menu option in the VirusScan Enterprise system tray icon

Solution :

Beginning with VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i, the Access Protection feature
can deny attempts to stop McAfee services by users or applications.

To activate the Disable On-Access Scan menu option in the VirusScan system tray icon:

1. Click Start, Programs, Mcafee, VirusScan Console.
2. Double-click Access Protection.
3. Deselect Prevent McAfee Services from being stopped.
4. Click Apply and OK.
5. Exit the VirusScan Console.

To verify that the On-Access Scanner can be stopped and started:

1. In the system tray, right-click the VirusScan icon and select Disable On-Access Scan.
2. In the system tray, right-click the VirusScan icon and select Enable On-Access Scan.

NOTE: Disabling Prevent McAfee Services from being stopped can negatively affect the security of your systems. Only use this option if it is absolutely required.

NOTE 2 : At least for those who have McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5 like me, this works, the system is more responsive and faster and NewsLeecher works without problems.
You should instead add the newsleecher folder(in Program Files) to the exclusion list, see KB 50998:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?p ... &pmv=print

This way your system is still fully protected except for that folder.

Sadly there is no equivalent for the consumer product. :(

NB: Still waiting for an answer or a fix from McAfee.

the doctor

Subscribed groups/Virtual groups are constantly disappearing

Post by the doctor »

V4b20 - problem has occurred with other beta versions also.

Perhaps I am getting this problem more than others since I use the subscribed groups for both the auto-sorting ability and I update headers on many newsgroups (my group cache file is as much as 5 to 10 Gb).

My subscribed groups and virtual groups are constantly disappearing.

On closing NewsLeecher everything appears ok then the next time I startup NL none of my group info is there. The subscribed groups/virtual groups list is completely blank in Manager/Article Tabs.

If I then close NewsLeecher all of my group cache data is also erased.

I have begun to backup the setup_grps.dat file regularly and when the groups disappear I do the following: 1. End Task NewsLeecher (through task manager) so it will not erase my group cache and 2. copy the backup setup_grps.dat file to replace the corrupted (blank group) setup_grps.dat file. 3. Restart NewsLeecher - everything is back the way it was the last time I backed up the setup_grps.dat file.

I also periodically completely backup the entire NewsLeecher 4 data folder in order to backup the group cache files just in case I close NL without realizing a this problem has occured again.

This has to be something to do with the setup_grps.dat file becoming corrupted.

The setup_grps.dat file should be added to the setup.dat backup utility.

Some form of automatic replacement should be implemented so that when the setup_grps.dat file becomes corrupted it is replaced with the most recent good backup - with a notification to the user.

Further, a utility (preferably automatic) should be implemented to backup the complete NL data folder.

I do not know when the disappearing/corrupt setup_grps.dat problem occurs - whether it is at shutdown (the setup_grps.dat is written wrong) or on startup (the setup_grps.dat file is read wrong). I suspect it occurs on shutdown when NL updates everything.

This is a major problem and needs fixing before final release!

Wndows 7 64bit

Jeftikal

Post by Jeftikal »

Re: !: Fixed small issue, where the groups listview article position
wasn't always reset when entering a new usenet group.

I haven't seen an issue related to this in a quick search.

If I have a number of groups updating I like to start to look inside the ones that have finished the updates. The problem is that whenever a group finishes it's update, the group that I'm viewing scrolls to the top, losing my position. I end up having to hold onto the scroll bar incase a group finishes updating, so that I don't lose my place!

I hope I've explained the problem well enough.

LyCannon

Post by LyCannon »

abeloin wrote:
myidisbb wrote:how about get rid of McAfee. there are a lot better av and suites out there.
And out of curiosity, what AV would you recommend for Windows 7 x64?
NOD32, hands down best out there. Kaspersky is a close second.

LyCannon

Re: Corrupt downloads

Post by LyCannon »

CrazyDude wrote:Downloading from Giganews and I'm getting a corrupt files (~50MB files in today's batch) every once in a while. NewsLeecher marks it as bad by uppercasing the filename. It SEEMS to be happening if I try to reorder the Queue, but I can't be sure. VERY IRRITATING.

The files on the server are fine, because if I delete them from my drive and select them for download again, they'll usually come across fine.

Anyone else run into this?
I get this too, very irritating!

Haven't been able to reproduce, but queue reordering might be it.

Win 7 x64

the doctor

I second that

Post by the doctor »

LyCannon wrote:And out of curiosity, what AV would you recommend for Windows 7 x64?

NOD32, hands down best out there. Kaspersky is a close second.
Hear, Hear. I second that.

Eset's NOD, available in 32 and 64bit versions, is the best antivirus available for Windows (Kapersky close second).

I also run Superantispyware (the best antispyware for Windows) just to back up NOD detecting spys. All A/V software is dedicated to find viruses and do an ok job detecting spys, but they are not as good at detecting/elliminating spys as a dedicated antispyware.

And for the MAC, Kapersky is the best.

Norton and McAwful are bloated, massive resource hogs that are ineffective antiviruses not detecting hundreds of viruses and spys. If you have any doubt of how bloated these two are, just uninstall them and see how much faster your computer runs. One indicator is how long it takes to install or uninstall them.

Eset NOD takes only a couple of minutes to install/uninstall and does not significantly slow down your computer.

Note: Any antivirus is going to slow down your computer a little bit just because of what it does. It has to monitor every bit of activity, and that takes a slight amount processor time.

Just a note to MAC (Linux) users - don't think you are immune to viruses - the only reason Mac's don't get as many viruses is because not as many viruses are written for the MAC.

The myth about MACs not getting viruses is WRONG.

Yes, I use NewsLeecher on my Mac in a VirtualBox virtual Windows 7.

doppler

susposently fix problem, never was.

Post by doppler »

May I suggest instead of, checking for turbo on every header download.

Leave the option for always, disable and check.

I have been getting corrupted non-turbo headers almost every 3 days now.
It's not limited to a small batch of headers, like a previous release was fixed for.
It just happens. I would love the option of using turbo "always" as an
advanced option.

abeloin

Post by abeloin »

I just closed my support request with McAfee as it become apparent that McAfee is not willing to fix the issue(the ticket is open since 1 1/2 month ago and they stop calling 1 week ago).

pzam

why is this v4 b20 there is no version 4 final this is still v3.99999......

Post by pzam »

99 betas on the wall take one down spin it around oh no

100 more betas on the wall.

Macafee stopped being usable when it went commercial even some of the free av are less intrusive. Kapersky is not the best but just the best most economical one for home users. There are better av for government agencys and those willing to pay.

I am hoping you fix the final to have the repair and extract have its own specifiable extract folder like the download folder. Then have repair and extract follow the folders created by each group or virtual group for the extraction the same as we have specified in the downloads.

download folder
group 1
group 2 ...
extract folder
group 1
group 2

and make option to stop moving sfv and srr to the extract folder.

(Instead of whatever that caching stuff you were messing with that seemed to break everything.)