Forced beta install?

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
david2376

Forced beta install?

Post by david2376 »

I've been running beta 18 for a long time now waiting for the final version. Today I find that supersearch no longer works and I have to upgrade. Great! Final version must be done!!

No.

We're just forcing you to install another beta and then you get to install the program again a week or two from now! Smart!!

Eric10301

Post by Eric10301 »

Yeah I don't understand forcing people to install a beta. Time to start looking for a new news reader.

Sunfox

Post by Sunfox »

Yeah, I don't get why I had to go from beta 20 to 23... beta 20 seemed fine with the updated search. And if it wasn't, a clearer reason why 23 was required would be more benefitial. Otherwise, wait for the final.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

That is part of a beta testing period. Test new features and sometimes that requires new code in the client in order to make it work with the server. If you are going to be using the beta version, you have to be willing to install new versions as necessary to continue the beta testing. If you don't want to, then please use the 3.9 Final version, which still works with the 3.9 SuperSearch system.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

sheepshagger

Post by sheepshagger »

but 3.9 doesnt use the longer retention server

you are basically forcing people to use a beta version

Downstream

Post by Downstream »

The problem is that v3.9 uses a very outdated SS.
Retention of servers grow but SS on 3.9 not. That "forces" SS users to use a beta.
Unfixed bugs in 3.9 also force users into a beta. :-({|=

HomersDK

Post by HomersDK »

Forget about my money. Never gonna renew my NL license anymore.
Been running NL for many years now.
My license ran out a few weeks ago and I had version 4.0 beta20 running.
Now supersearch doesn't work anymore and program wants me to upgrade to 4.0 beta23, I'll do that and now I can't connect anymore and it wants me to renew my license
More money for more beta software? Are you really out of your freaking mind?
No way, going to use alternative from now on.

cronl33

Post by cronl33 »

yeah this isn't the first time this happens and it's such a hassle each time. I don't mind upgrading but invariably I run into a bunch of new problems with the new betas that are so frustrating.

Maybe there's a way to spend an extra day or two finding a way to put out new betas without making Supersearch stop working in older versions.

I mean I had beta 22. The newest beta is 23. It's not like I was using an ancient form of newsleecher.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

We're not "forcing" beta upgrading for fun.

It's something that we have to do from time to time, due to bug fixes or improvements in either NL or SS. In regards to B23, it fixed a bug that prevented NL from fully use the features of SuperSearch.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

HomersDK

Post by HomersDK »

Still!!!
My license ran out some weeks ago when I had the beta 20.
After testing/using the 4.0 betas for the last years, now I'm supposed to pay again to get the latest 4.0 beta and if the final release comes out after one more year, then again pay for the final to??
You should at least give us free pass to get the 4.0 final when its released.
Maybe then I will consider on renewing the SS, because now if I wants SS I must upgrade and if I do that I must buy new license.
This is not fair business!!!

So, no free 4.0 final to us with 4.0 license, no money from me anymore.
4.0 beta 20 and binsearch is fine for me.

cronl33

Post by cronl33 »

Spiril wrote:We're not "forcing" beta upgrading for fun.

It's something that we have to do from time to time, due to bug fixes or improvements in either NL or SS. In regards to B23, it fixed a bug that prevented NL from fully use the features of SuperSearch.
Isn't there some way for you to release the newest beta version with whatever alterations you wanted to make to supersearch without disabling it for every previous beta version?

That's what people mean by 'forcing.' We pay for supersearch, but if we want to keep using it, we have to upgrade to the newest beta version, which means we now also have to deal with any new bugs/problems.

sheepshagger

Post by sheepshagger »

but for those that dont want to use beta software or actually pay for beta testing, you are forcing them to upgrade

newsman

Post by newsman »

Like some folks I've been running beta 20 for a while. I've also been a leecher for a while since around v2.3 so I have certainly paid my fair share, perhaps too much :D

And this year seems to be the year of the beta with NL. And I don't see how the 4.0 final will really be polished since not much work was done for the last many months and now the game plan seem to be a rush to play "catch up" to pacify the audience.

My subscription also ran out recently couple weeks ago and when I try to dl the beta 23 to make use of my generous 30 extra days owed to existing customers who experienced instability of SS over the last half of the year it tells me my license has expired and tries to force me to buy some more beta releases by directing me to the collection area of the website for payment... So I go back to beta 20. :roll:

Normally when subscription runs out I don't think twice and just renew, but this time seems a little different. Things has changed, NL seem a bit dated and tied to the desktop, no mobile support, no super search api etc. for 3rd parties to build interfaces. I started trying other stuff like rss and sabnzbd just to see what is out there, something I haven't done in many moons.

Anything you guys can do here to make things better? I don't really want to abandon ship...

Marilith

No, but thank you...

Post by Marilith »

I am using NL for quite a time, and I still think it has potential.

But last year, running from mid 2009 to mid 2010, I did only beta testing for you. No new stable release, only old crap, and an endless succession of betas with endless annoyance.

Sorry. Can your SS, I wont renew now. Maybe later. Maybe never.

And I do hope, that many of your customers see this like me. What I want is a stable program to use. I don't ask for daily 'features' which do not work anyway. I do not care for the 'creeping featurism' seen here for the last two years. If you have a plan for 4.0 stable, implement it, or cut it, but bring a stable release, with all the planned features, or with a selection of it.
I care for stable and dependable applications. Not seen here lately, more's the pity...

You have an old stable 3.9, which is not only very old, it also has a lot of unfixed bugs and can called stable only by very friendly people.

Then meanwhile you have 23 beta releases. 23!! Normally you have one or two, then a stable release. I am no longer supporting this - sorry - idiocy. No offense meant, but this really is not very intelligent, and its annoying to your customers...

I was patient for over a year. But I am no longer willing to pay for a very shaky SS, which seems to be 'in testing' permanently. Beta 20 runs OK for me now, at least for the things I do. I will use www.binsearch.info, where I could find items, which SS did not have, even in shorter periods for around 1 month back.

And I will not renew my license for now. Sorry.

M.

snoeki

Post by snoeki »

You mean the bug that you could use SS after your SS licence expired. I have no problem that you corrected this bug, I renewed my license and many other Dutch users did (I have read many comments on a Dutch forum).

But why not be honoust about it?

Glad to see you back again and I hope to continue your service for a long time. And thanks for the extra 30 days.