NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 24 issues

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
Downstream

NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 24 issues

Post by Downstream » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:00 pm

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

If I set NL to minimize to tray it gets 'stuck'after a short while.
I won't open by clicking on the icon.
Transfers continues.
It also interfers with other windows.
Windows can't be brought to front anymore.
All kind of weird behaviour.
This bug is present for at least 7 beta's

brittanystan

Licensed copy shows "Trial mode" on News::Log tab

Post by brittanystan » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:06 pm

Just upgraded from b23 to b24.

My license now does not show up under Newsleecher Information on the News :: Log tab. It says I'm in Trial Mode (although the software otherwise behaves as if fully licensed, with SuperSearch).

When I look at the About screen under Help, my correct license information is displayed, although it says "(Not live updated)" after the License expiry field.

Maybe this is just a problem with the license server?

Post by 9153465743 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:11 pm

bbarker

Post by bbarker » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:03 am

If I'm downloading a bunch of multi-part files using Repair & Extract, I often get one or two files that show one of the parts missing despite the fact that it downloaded fine. I tried Refresh and NL still doesn't find it. Checking the parts with QuickPar verifies that all the parts are there and have no errors. If I exit and restart NL, the file shows up and checks as OK, followed by a successful extract. This all happens without anything else being downloaded.

I haven't been able to see any pattern to the files that this happens with, but it happens maybe once or twice out of twenty or thirty files. Sometimes it even happens when downloading a single multi-part file.

I've had this same problem for quite a while including the last 4 beta releases. Anybody else ever see this problem?

The other problem has to do with the "!! newsleecher temporary !!" folders and I think has been reported for previous betas. To see the problem, start downloading a file with multiple parts and then delete the file from the queue once it has download a couple parts. At that point the temp folder will still be in the download folder and won't get deleted until you exit NL. The problem this creates is that you can't delete or move the containing folder without exiting NL.

Bartman

Re: NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 24 issues

Post by Bartman » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:21 am

Downstream wrote:Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Transfers continues.
If you left click on the tray icon you will see "Tray Options", just enable "Single-Click Activate", problem gone.
PC Spec:

Intel i7 920, 8GB DDR 3 RAM, 1.5TB SATAII (Not eco ones) Windows 7 Prem 64bit

pka4916

Post by pka4916 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:39 am

This beta messed up all the article headers

all it downloads is some funky MP3 files ?? while it should be something else.
NL is renaming RAR files to MP3.

Also NL doesn't recognize the PAR files, since it's renaming them..

The original name = The serpent of Isis - New Hidden Object Game.RAR

11:34:58 PM Renaming downloading article part# 30 of ".rar.006"" from server "news.astraweb.com".
11:34:58 PM * Old name: "The Cisco Kid 5XXXXX Night Before The Fa.mp3" - New name: "The Cisco Kid 5XXXXX PARTIAL SHOWRUSTLER.mp3".
11:34:58 PM * Server response: "=ybegin part=1 line=128 size=2779596 name=The Cisco Kid 5XXXXX PARTIAL SHOWRUSTLER.mp3". Part Msg ID: "JLidnRHZtd34_F7RnZ2dnUVZ_o4AAAAA@giganews.com".
11:34:58 PM * Note : The part renaming is probably caused by a corrupt message-id index on the server.
11:34:58 PM * Note2: The file will probably come down corrupt. Please inform about the problem in the NewsLeecher User Forum.
11:34:58 PM Renaming downloading article part# 27 of ".rar.006"" from server "news.astraweb.com".
11:34:58 PM * Old name: "The Cisco Kid 5XXXXX PARTIAL SHOWRUSTLER.mp3" - New name: "The Cisco Kid 5XXXXX Night Before The Fa.mp3".
11:34:58 PM * Server response: "=ybegin part=10 line=128 size=4455648 name=The Cisco Kid 5XXXXX Night Before The Fa.mp3". Part Msg ID: "zuedncVTbcIL_F7RnZ2dnUVZ_gcAAAAA@giganews.com".
11:34:58 PM * Note : The part renaming is probably caused by a corrupt message-id index on the server.
11:34:58 PM * Note2: The file will probably come down corrupt. Please inform about the problem in the NewsLeecher User Forum.
11:34:58 PM Renaming downloading article part# 33 of ".rar.006"" from server "news.astraweb.com".
11:34:58 PM * Old name: "The Cisco Kid 5XXXXX Night Before The Fa.mp3" - New name: "The Cisco Kid 5XXXXX PARTIAL SHOWRUSTLER.mp3".
11:34:58 PM * Server response: "=ybegin part=4 line=128 size=2779596 name=The Cisco Kid 5XXXXX PARTIAL SHOWRUSTLER.mp3". Part Msg ID: "JLidnRLZtd3q_F7RnZ2dnUVZ_o6dnZ2d@giganews.com".

pka4916

Post by pka4916 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:51 am

Tried the previous Beta, and bad also.
Looks like the SS is all messed up..

Downstream

Re: NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 24 issues

Post by Downstream » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:30 am

Bartman wrote:
Downstream wrote:Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Transfers continues.
If you left click on the tray icon you will see "Tray Options", just enable "Single-Click Activate", problem gone.
Seems to work. I hope it stays that way. It never was a very reproducible error. Sometimes things locked after 5 minutes. Sometimes only after hours.

the doctor

Loosing Subscribed Groups

Post by the doctor » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:24 pm

v4b24

All of my Subscribed Groups and settings in the Manager/Articles tab are constantly disappearing after restart. Why are the appropriate files not part of an automatic backup/restore process?

Setting up the Groups and Virtual Groups takes a lot of time and effort.

Please fix this problem.

Cybersmurff

Registration gone afer updating to b24

Post by Cybersmurff » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:37 pm

All of a sudden I had to register Newsleecher after updating to b24. Had a license until oktober 2011 but it will not accept my members area email address and password. (I even asked it to be mailed to me). I comes back "Unable to recognise email or password"

djb61

Additional supersearch query options

Post by djb61 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:34 am

I don't know if this is new in b24 (probably not) as I've never tried it in any of the earlier betas.

In supersearch if the additional options are turned on and a decimal value is entered in the "Min days" restriction, i.e enter 3.5 no error is given but the entered value is ignored giving the same results as if no min days was entered. If an integer value i.e 3 is entered then this behaves as expected.
I would think this should either accept the decimal value and give the appropriate results or only allow entry of an integer value.

For reference I was trying to perform a search over a 10 day period which was returning greater than the max results so I looked at the last entry and then tried the age of this as the min days value (in my case it was 3.5), effectively trying to page the results within the max allowed. This seemed a fairly intuitive thing to do so I doubt I'm the only one who will try entering a decimal here.

the doctor

Repair & Extract - Changing destination

Post by the doctor » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:47 am

Please make the "Specify subfolder" in Repair and Extract - Change Destination unchecked by default. It is very annoying to have to uncheck it each and every time.

In actuality, it is not really needed at all, since you can type the exact same thing in the main browse entry area.

Browse and select the folder then type the subfolder right after the browse entry. Why the special area - it is redundant??? Why the special area - it is redundant??? (sorry, couldn't resist)

davywavy

invalid supersearch results

Post by davywavy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:07 am

Do not make a final release! Newsleecher is getting buggier, not more stable!

When I do a super search on "star trek tng s02 e15" and right-click the largest hit (667,622 KB) and select Leech, I get an error message saying something to the effect that "Supersearch is currently retrieving results" and it ignores my leech request! What?? Earlier it reported invalid supersearch headers.

In any case, if I expand the hit and manually select the rars and leech those, they are added to the queue and downloading commences.

This together with the frequent application bugs that I've always gotten over the past few months (whose auto bug reports are apparently worthless) I would recommend you guys make your software 10x more stable before you even think about making a "final" release.

(I'm using Vista 64bit.)

Here's a screencap of the error window (after using an obscure resize tool to make it readable; ie. get your sTuff together)

CrazyDude

Still corrupt downloads in beta 24

Post by CrazyDude » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:13 pm

I posted this in the beta 23 thread, but this one is much more appropriate.

Was working with beta 24 today, testing it by having an 8GB download going (consisting of 97MB RARs) from Giganews... I was then looking at some other newsgroups, selecting preview JPEGs to see if I wanted to bother with the video (you know what I mean fellas), and eventually my 8GB download started corrupting all of its files afterwards. I then stopped it, deleted all the upper case (corrupt) RAR files and restarted my download from where the good files left off. After that, the files are downloading just fine, with no corruption. I've done this many times and this "bug" has always been there since I started with the 4.0 betas a year or so ago.

I don't know why no one else is seeing this issue. Does anyone out there view JPEGs (for example) and "Update new articles" while downloading some larger selection of say, eighty 100MB files?

Other than this corruption issue, I absolutely LOVE NewsLeecher!!!!!!!!

the doctor

Headers Update stops

Post by the doctor » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:30 pm

Articles Tab - Newsgroup - Select All New Headers

Header download stops downloading headers before getting all new headers.

Just did a header update for alt.binaries.multimedia.rail had 9 million headers to download - I had to restart the download at about 8.1 million, 4.6 million, 1.92 million, 1.0 million headers each time I chose "Select All New Headers".

This happens on every large header update.