NewsLeecher 5.0 beta 6 issues

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
kublai

NewsLeecher 5.0 beta 6 issues

Post by kublai » Mon May 16, 2011 3:51 pm

NewsLeecher 5.0 beta 5 issues thread if needed.

The .nzb.zip import still does not work

Eraserhead

Post by Eraserhead » Tue May 17, 2011 10:32 am

If minimized to tray, the tray icon is still completely unresponsive after a R&E action.
Am I the only one with this issue?

Arsby

Post by Arsby » Wed May 18, 2011 6:14 pm

I don't know whether to put this in the Supersearch forum or this one.

In the Supersearch tab, I seem to recall that on the previous betas when you expanded a set of numeric .rar attachments (.r00, .r01, .r02, etc.) by hitting the little + sign, the .rar attachment was on top. Now it's on the bottom after all of the numeric ones.

The .rar attachment is on top in the queue, just not in the Supersearch tab. I ran into this when I wanted to just download the first three or four attachments, I was neglecting the .rar because it was "buried" at the bottom.

Otherwise I'm liking the new betas.

Eric10301

Post by Eric10301 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:41 am

The explorer doesn't update when external hdds are plugged in. I have to close NL to see them.

homerj99

Post by homerj99 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:31 pm

How do you remove / hide the posting queue bar?

the doctor

Verifying - Unable to stop R&E

Post by the doctor » Thu May 19, 2011 11:39 pm

Continuing to have the same problem with R&E items stuck on "Verifying".

Still cannot stop R&E or exit NL without resorting to End Task.

This really needs to be fixed.

There needs to be a way to stop R&E no matter what it is doing.

Arsby

Re: Verifying - Unable to stop R&E

Post by Arsby » Fri May 20, 2011 1:27 am

the doctor wrote:Continuing to have the same problem with R&E items stuck on "Verifying".

Still cannot stop R&E or exit NL without resorting to End Task...
I'm wondering under what circumstances you're having these problems, Doc. I've downloaded about 50 items with RnE since I installed Beta 6. They included videos, sets of audios, and sets of images, from 50MB to 4GB. I had what I thought was one problem where it froze, but I waited until a program that hogged a lot of memory (an audio converter) ended, and NL unfroze and finished. Everything else went flawlessly. I love it... I select about 2 hours worth of stuff to download, come back in 3 hours and it's all set and ready. All i have to do is rename and move around the RnE folders.

By the way, I do not have "minimize to tray" turned on, and don't intend to.

Arsby

Post by Arsby » Fri May 20, 2011 2:56 am

Hey, here's an interesting one.

Somehow my NL Beta 6 is always on top. When it's windowed or maximized I have to minimize it to see any other windows that are open behind it.

The only exceptions are other applications that are set to be always on top. In that case, whichever one is focused is on top.

Is there a setting somewhere that I missed? I didn't change any settings when I installed Beta 6.

Eraserhead

Post by Eraserhead » Fri May 20, 2011 9:18 am

berliner6 wrote:[By the way, I do not have "minimize to tray" turned on, and don't intend to.
For the sake of beta testing it would be nice if you did. So we can see if this is a bug who affects many or just a few or maybe even just me!

Arsby

Post by Arsby » Fri May 20, 2011 12:44 pm

Eraserhead wrote:For the sake of beta testing it would be nice if you did. So we can see if this is a bug who affects many or just a few or maybe even just me!
Okay, so I went to Nerdy Tweaks and set on the minimize to tray.
Shut down NL and re-opened it, and confirmed that minimize to tray worked.
Queued up and started downloading 3 shortish .rar movies of questionable content, totaling a little over a 1GB.
Minimized to tray.
Allowed it to sit cutely in the tray for 10 minutes, plenty of time to download and extract.
I was charmed to see a message from the tray when all was extracted, but I waited another few minutes for the extracts to finish. Would have preferred if the icon danced about or something, very boring watching it just sit there.
When 10 minutes passed, I clicked the tray icon, and NL popped up nice and clean. The RnE tab showed all three movies were "finished", and I checked using Explorer that they were right where they were supposed to be.

Did I leave anything out of my test case? I'm using Vista, are you?

I'll leave the setting the way it is, see if anything changes.

Eraserhead

Post by Eraserhead » Fri May 20, 2011 12:59 pm

berliner6 wrote:Did I leave anything out of my test case? I'm using Vista, are you?
I'll leave the setting the way it is, see if anything changes.
Thanks for testing. I'm on Win7x64. I think it mostly happens with really large downloads (4GB+), but other than that, you did what I do.
And of course you're right that the tray icon could reflect what NL is doing.

the doctor

RE: Verifying - Unable to stop R&E

Post by the doctor » Fri May 20, 2011 1:22 pm

berliner6 wrote:I'm wondering under what circumstances you're having these problems.
Example posts that get stuck on Verifying have been submited previously.
BodoWitcha wrote:Use this

Code: Select all

Brave Story - Complete Movie [THORA] [932BDA94].mkv.nzb
as gotten from GigaNews alt.binaries.x It hangs forever and cannot be cancelled.
The real problem is, there is no way to shutdown R&E when it gets stuck on "Verifying".

THERE NEEDS TO BE A WAY TO SHUT DOWN R&E AND NL WHEN R&E IS STUCK OTHER THAN END TASK (also must delete the stuck item files or check with Quickpar before restarting NL or R&E continues to be stuck when NL is restarted).

It would be nice if it did not get stuck at all but, correcting this problem seems to be taking a lot of time.

Eraserhead

Re: RE: Verifying - Unable to stop R&E

Post by Eraserhead » Fri May 20, 2011 2:13 pm

the doctor wrote:Example posts that get stuck on Verifying have been submited previously.
Strange thing with my issue is, that NL is not hanging or stuck or whatever at all. It's just the tray icon that's not responding to any clicks, so I have no 'normal' way to restore the NL window. Only if I start another NL instance can I get the window back. Because NL only allows one instance to run, that brings up my original window :lol:
It'd be interesting to hear from Spiril if there's any kind of code that locks the tray icon during some operations (and then doesn't unlock it after that's done). If that's not the case I suspect there's some kind of faulty code when the tooltip of the tray icon gets updates thus resulting in a dead routine.

Arsby

Post by Arsby » Fri May 20, 2011 3:20 pm

the doctor wrote: ...
THERE NEEDS TO BE A WAY TO SHUT DOWN R&E AND NL WHEN R&E IS STUCK OTHER THAN END TASK
I downloaded the Brave Story, and it did get stuck on verification.
I tried to close NL, and was unable to shut it down normally.
NL wasn't frozen, I could move from tab to tab, not all the tabs worked properly.
Also, I noticed that even though NL didn't appear to be doing anything, a look at task manager showed it was chugging away and using up 50% of my CPU. (Endless loop?)
I finally ended it using task manager.
Then I turned it back on, it went back to verifying and the same thing happened again. I could only properly shut NL down after I deleted the Brave movie, turned NL back on, and RnE reported the movie "missing". Then I could delete the movie from RnE and get on with my life, what there is of it.

I've had similar problems in previous releases, and always with big file sets of the .001 .002 .003 variety (which I don't bother with much). It seems as if it's trying to piece them together on the fly. Maybe RnE should do like the .part01 .part02 .part03 sets and wait till everything is down and okay before putting them together.

Doc, I do think that there should be a way to end verification if it appears to be stuck. I'm with you on that. The "Stop" button on the toolbar should do that.

Eraserhead, through all of this I had no problem minimizing to tray or restoring from tray. I'm going to turn off that feature because it confuses me... I'd rather see it on the task bar.
Interesting: after turning the minimize to tray on and then off, NL is no longer always on top. Who knew?

Comfun

Post by Comfun » Fri May 20, 2011 7:22 pm

the doctor wrote:
berliner6 wrote:I'm wondering under what circumstances you're having these problems.
Example posts that get stuck on Verifying have been submited previously.
BodoWitcha wrote:Use this

Code: Select all

Brave Story - Complete Movie [THORA] [932BDA94].mkv.nzb
as gotten from GigaNews alt.binaries.x It hangs forever and cannot be cancelled.
The real problem is, there is no way to shutdown R&E when it gets stuck on "Verifying".

THERE NEEDS TO BE A WAY TO SHUT DOWN R&E AND NL WHEN R&E IS STUCK OTHER THAN END TASK (also must delete the stuck item files or check with Quickpar before restarting NL or R&E continues to be stuck when NL is restarted).

It would be nice if it did not get stuck at all but, correcting this problem seems to be taking a lot of time.
This happens with almost every big files when they are split.
As soon you have 150+ 50MiB+ split files, RnE block/freeze/bug during verification

I could give you a dozen of exemple since I often post/download this kind of big files split in 150+ files.

Also RnE doesn't extract anything when the filename is very long eg :
106 chars and under, extract OK [ACX]The_Tower_of_DRUAGA_-_the_Aegis_of_URUK_-_07_-_Dance_With_the_One-Winger_[SaintDeath]_[57E43CF2].mkv

118+ chars maybe less extract not working [ACX]The_Mars_Daybreak_-_24_-_Earth_Forces_Assault!_Operation_to_Board_the_Ship_of_Aurora_[SaintDeath]_[33D1F959].mkv

And finally I think combinating split files should NOT be on the fly but should be a process of repair so it can be desabled too.
Since sometimes combinating recquiere to have the splitfiles repaired with par2 or the combined filed will be wrong if they were too much missing parts.
So we could verify individual splitfile manually using quickpar or whatever.

Those problems doesn't happens often but at last it could prevent the previous bug too.

If we can disable combinating/verify splitfiles by disabling Repair it could let people verify repair split file manually when needed and RnE would bug.

Well except those minors bugs durgin RnE with splitfiles I didn't saw anything, and they were already buged in 4.0

In most of cases command line par2 r *.par2 * is the best way to combinate split files if the par2 files are par2 of the original files and not from the splitfiles as it is do for rar files.

To be short :
- fix bug for long filenames around 118 and more chars
- move combinating split files .001 to Repair process