NewsLeecher 5.0 beta 6 issues

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
nwambach

5 beta 6 pauses downloads

Post by nwambach »

So I have been having this problem since installing beta 6. NewsLeecher will now, seemingly randomly, pause downloads and say that disk space is below the set limit. All well and good, but the disk still has 198GB left and the limit is set to 1000MB. I also tried setting limit to 0 and -1 (in hopes of disabling the feature) with the same results. Setting to -10000 seems to be doing the trick so far though.

mlomker

Re: 5 beta 6 pauses downloads

Post by mlomker »

Newsleecher is taking up 100% of my first processor core whenever it is connected. If I disconnect from the server then it is fine. It makes it hard to listen to iTunes and other things...I actually wouldn't care if it were doing it in a different processor core.

I'm Win7x64.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

There are many utilities to make an application run with a different processor core affinity. You can change it manually on a running process from within the Task Manager.

I haven't tested it but I think you could change the shortcut calling Newsleecher to set the affinity. Instead of Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\NewsLeecher\newsLeecher.exe", change it to C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 "C:\Program Files (x86)\NewsLeecher\newsLeecher.exe"

I got this idea from this thread so I don't know how to help if it doesn't work for you. Obviously this is not officially supported either.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

alfalfa6945

Post by alfalfa6945 »

Curious, but why is beta 6 executing shellcode during startup? If I'm not mistaken, this was "introduced" with beta 4 or 5. Beta 3 did not have this behavior...

dhickok

Multi-select issue fixed in 4.0 beta 21 is back in 5.0 beta 6

Post by dhickok »

The issue is when selecting multiple items and trying to do a raw leech, only the first item is leeched. This problem surfaces in an early 4.0 beta and was fixed in 4.0 beta 21. The issue was fine through 5.0 beta 5, but resurfaced again in 5.0 beta 6.

CapZap

Wow, best ever

Post by CapZap »

I really can't remember when I started using Newsleecher but it's been many years. There have been ups and downs and a brief period where it was left largly unsupported. All along it's been the best newsreader out there.

V5 b6 is the best of the best. The most useable version ever. One thing has never changed -- this is a superbly done piece of software. Always better.
"I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

SimonleBonbon

RnE issue

Post by SimonleBonbon »

I did run into a strange issue with RnE.
On a few occasions RnE indicates it is missing 100 blocks (or 104, 106 blocks).

However, it doesn't download the missing blocks.

When I verify the set manually using Quickpar the set is complete (so no missing blocks at all) and can be extracted (with 7-zip or Winrar).

One set this did happen was a post in a.b.boneless on 12-19-2010 "(BBC Earth - The Great Rift - ....."

It occurred on one or two of the three posts.

It also occurred with other sets, i.e. the "(BBC Earth. Deel - 1080Px264.MKV......" posted in a.b.boneless between 12-25-2010 and 12-27-2010

Also, when the disk is full, RNE stops the extract process, and doesn't seem to restart automatically when there is enough diskspace available again.

Always a few more bugs.... :)

Arsby

Post by Arsby »

I, too, appreciate that 5.0b6 seems to be very stable and the RnE function has been working almost perfectly, except for very large .001 .002 type joins (which I rarely encounter).

One annoyance I've been noticing... Startup sometimes seems to take an unusually long time, sometimes minutes. Other times, relatively fast.

Anyone know how to stop the splash screen that comes up during startup? I don't know if it's the culprit or a symptom. Sometimes it just hangs on top of other screens.

JMark

Post by JMark »

Why does cleaning now take an hour or more? I have been staring at Cleaning Usenet Group (53 of 669,275 articles) for more than an hour now.

One would think new betas would improvements. All I see is ongoing degradation of performance and increasing errors.

the doctor

New/Reply Message Editor

Post by the doctor »

The new message editor (which is very good - thanks) is leaving text out of the header or some text is not being displayed properly in the header list.

This is the header that was posted:
11:56:05 Successfully posted: "Heads up: Aug/08/2011 M --- edited out --- next new episode" to group: "alt.binaries.british.drama", using server: "ssl.astraweb.com".

This is the posted message displayed header:
Heads up: Aug/ M --- edited out --- next new episode

Either "/" cannot be used in the message editor header section or the header list will not display more than 1 "/" in the header list.

Edit: Occurs in all header lists in all Tabs.

The header text posts ok (checked with another newsreader) but, the NL header list does not display them properly. So, NOT a problem with the editor but, is a problem with how the header list displays header text.

Apparently the header list deletes anything after a "/" until a space character occurs (?).

Might want to check filter options in the header list object properties.

Arsby

Post by Arsby »

JMark wrote: One would think new betas would improvements. All I see is ongoing degradation of performance and increasing errors.
Aside from problem you had with the cleaning hanging up, could you give examples of other problems with degradation of performance? I've been using it for a while now and aside from the occasional problem during startup I haven't seen any problems. Errors overall have gone way down for me compared to previous releases.

JMark

Post by JMark »

berliner6 wrote:
JMark wrote: One would think new betas would improvements. All I see is ongoing degradation of performance and increasing errors.
Aside from problem you had with the cleaning hanging up, could you give examples of other problems with degradation of performance? I've been using it for a while now and aside from the occasional problem during startup I haven't seen any problems. Errors overall have gone way down for me compared to previous releases.
Sure thing, berliner. Typically, I get an average of a crash per open; the afore-mentioned cleaning hangup; and if you search elsewhere, you will see an extensive b*tch thread of mine about a niggling issue that has been around since b4. The pop-up message box (cleaning, updating, etc.) appears in front of all other W7-64 application windows (Outlook, Firefox, etc... all of them) to the extent that I have to slide the other windows around to read text behind the NL message popup. When the NL process completes, the popup closes and normal window visibility returns.

Thanks for your interest.

Arsby

Post by Arsby »

JMark wrote: ...Typically, I get an average of a crash per open
...a niggling issue that has been around since b4. The pop-up message box (cleaning, updating, etc.) appears in front of all other W7-64 application windows (Outlook, Firefox, etc... all of them) to the extent that I have to slide the other windows around to read text behind the NL message popup. ...
It seems as though these are Win7 issues.

I'm on Vista, and aside from the issue about slow startup that I brought up above 5.0B6 has been very stable. The only crashes I remember getting were when I tested someone else's problem (RnE hangs when combining very large .001 .002 sets), and another time when I was running several CPU-intensive apps at once and everything was running slow or not responding. When I'm on I routinely run dozens of searches in an evening, and often download dozens of videos, audios, and/or image sets, with no crashes and a very high percentage (95%?) of good RnE extractions.

What else are you running? If you are having these problems and not running anything else, you really should complain to the staff that they're not supporting Win 7.

It is a beta. Maybe you should go back to the last stable final (4.0) until NL gets it's stuff together about the 5.0 Betas for Win 7. (And I'm hoping when they do that they won't inadvertently screw up things for Vista.) :o

JMark

Post by JMark »

berliner6 wrote:It is a beta. Maybe you should go back to the last stable final (4.0) until NL gets it's stuff together about the 5.0 Betas for Win 7. (And I'm hoping when they do that they won't inadvertently screw up things for Vista.) :o
Thanks but I do understand the difference between Final Release stability and betas. Isn't the purpose of any beta program to put the draft product out for review, determine issues and causalities, and correct them? But without response and dialog, the issue remains unresolved build after build after build.

As in this case.

Arsby

Post by Arsby »

JMark wrote: Thanks but I do understand the difference between Final Release stability and betas. Isn't the purpose of any beta program to put the draft product out for review, determine issues and causalities, and correct them? But without response and dialog, the issue remains unresolved build after build after build.

As in this case.
I would hope that anyone who uses a beta would know the difference, and I don't doubt that you do. It's just that you seem to be having major problems because it sounds like this beta neglected Win7. (Like I said, for Vista it's been remarkably stable for me.)

I've had problems with previous betas which were so bad that I did revert to the last stable final, even though there were aspects of the beta that I really liked. (This was when aggregating posts was is in beta. Great idea, but initially very poorly implemented. It was dropping everything. Remember that?)

If the next beta doesn't stabilize for Win7, I agree that you'll have every right to scream bloody murder that they're not listening to you. I would.

But then, I'm a very patient guy. I have to be with my looks. :o