NewsLeecher 5.0 beta 6 issues

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
Comfun

Post by Comfun »

Another thing.
Since now we have a posting queue, please fix the way how failed posting are handle.

For some reasons, sometimes a txt post can be refused by the server, it would be nice to keep those failed post in queue so we can retry or modify the server to post it.

For now, if this happens the message is lost, if you don't have copy pasted it somewhere you have to retype everything.

I don't see the point to have a posting queue if we cannot manage it.

Arsby

Re: RE: Verifying - Unable to stop R&E

Post by Arsby »

Comfun wrote: To be short :
- fix bug for long filenames around 118 and more chars
- move combinating split files .001 to Repair process
I agree. Hear that, Spiril? C'mon, fix 'em! :D

My work-around is to download the .001 .002 .003 segments without the .par2 and use FFSJ (http://www.jaist.ac.jp/~hoangle/filesj/) to join them manually.

Like I said before, I don't run into these .001 .002 .003 things very often, so for me it's no biggie.

!!UPDATE!!

I had a hypothesis that the problem was that the segments were coming down out of order and "confusing" RnE.

So I downloaded the whole Brave set without the .par2, waited until all 102 parts were ready, then downloaded the .par2.
RnE combined all of the parts just fine, then it got stuck on verifying. I ended NL using task manager, deleted the .par2, then restarted NL and deleted the job, now labeled "missing", from RnE. The movie works, but what a contorted way to get it. I like my work-around (above) better.

So my hypothesis was wrong. It's going to choke on the big .001 .002 .003 set no matter what.

I never ever have this problem with .part01 .part02 sets or .rar .r01 .r02 sets.
Last edited by Arsby on Fri May 20, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comfun

Post by Comfun »

Mine is to disable RnE so they aren't combinated on the fly,then once the download is finished i run quickpar on the par2 then it combine/repair itself.

the doctor

Second that

Post by the doctor »

Comfun wrote:Another thing.
Since now we have a posting queue, please fix the way how failed posting are handle.

For some reasons, sometimes a txt post can be refused by the server, it would be nice to keep those failed post in queue so we can retry or modify the server to post it.

For now, if this happens the message is lost, if you don't have copy pasted it somewhere you have to retype everything.

I don't see the point to have a posting queue if we cannot manage it.
I second that request.

Comfun

Re: RE: Verifying - Unable to stop R&E

Post by Comfun »

berliner6 wrote:
Comfun wrote: To be short :
- fix bug for long filenames around 118 and more chars
- move combinating split files .001 to Repair process
I agree. Hear that, Spiril? C'mon, fix 'em! :D

My work-around is to download the .001 .002 .003 segments without the .par2 and use FFSJ (http://www.jaist.ac.jp/~hoangle/filesj/) to join them manually.

Like I said before, I don't run into these .001 .002 .003 things very often, so for me it's no biggie.

!!UPDATE!!

I had a hypothesis that the problem was that the segments were coming down out of order and "confusing" RnE.

So I downloaded the whole Brave set without the .par2, waited until all 102 parts were ready, then downloaded the .par2.
RnE combined all of the parts just fine, then it got stuck on verifying. I ended NL using task manager, deleted the .par2, then restarted NL and deleted the job, now labeled "missing", from RnE. The movie works, but what a contorted way to get it. I like my work-around (above) better.

So my hypothesis was wrong. It's going to choke on the big .001 .002 .003 set no matter what.

I never ever have this problem with .part01 .part02 sets or .rar .r01 .r02 sets.
Yea this problem doesn't happens with split using rar. But since rar are only usefull when you have severals files in a folder, there are more and more simple split file for video file or iso.

I tryed to understand more why it could sometimes mess up while combinating, no clue so far.
And about the freeze during verifying when combinated is done, no clue too.

I again encoutered the problem tonight with a 2,5 GiB video splitted.

Well until RnE can handle those file correctly, i guess the only option is to disable RnE for those file or remove them from RnE queue before they start to be combinated, verifying them manuelly using par2 and combinating them with it if possible then move the file manuelly to another dir.

Comfun

Post by Comfun »

Maybe another bug, I cannot add a new virtual group. I don't realy remember how it worked in final 4 but looks like the option is not available with right click on th article manager windows.

Only solution i found so far is to add a new real group from list of group in manager window, then it creates an uncategorized subscriptions if the previous one had already be renamed.
Nevermind i just realised once you relaunch newsleecher and have the manger window without the previous full group list you can add virtual group there.

My bad I tought i was in the articles windows.
Last edited by Comfun on Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comfun

Post by Comfun »

Looks like the bug freezing when verifying splitfile .001 RnE happen when the final final size is greather than 2 GiB.
Also that's cleary somethong to due to the combinating/verying plugin used for split files.

Since when you have other spli files in queue they are not combinated anymore once RnE is blocking with veriyinf for another post.

I hope this can help to resolve this problem.

Comfun

Post by Comfun »

Something else come in mind since I just tested, not sure it's a bug maybe it's working as intended.

For now .jpg and .png files are not set in the files set.

For exemple if a fileset have post subject - blabla.avi

I think blabla.avi.jpg or blabla.avi.png should be in the fileset and not in an indepent line in the group.

I work nice for blabla.avi.nfo blabla.avi.sfv blabla.avi.nzb blabla.avi.rar blabla.avi.par2 blabla.avi.001 but not for blabla.avi.png blabla.avi.jpg

Of course subject info are the same and they are tagged as post [xx/xx] in the headers too.

If think it's kinda useless and it's taking place on the screen to not have those file with the others.

Arsby

Post by Arsby »

Comfun wrote:...
I think blabla.avi.jpg or blabla.avi.png should be in the fileset and not in an indepent line in the group.
I think I know what you're talking about, Comfun. That may be happening because the poster separately sends a .png or .jpg so that we know what we're downloading before we commit to downloading the whole fileset. Sometimes I see a 4GB fileset but I'm not sure what it is. I don't want to waste 4GB of bandwidth to find out that I really didn't want it.
I appreciate seeing a .jpg sent separately to tell me exactly what it is I'll be downloading.

Comfun

Post by Comfun »

I'am also not sure the spam filter for subject is working when there a space or special chars like | \/
Well the email filter is working for sure but I prefer to filter subject rather than email.

For exemple you could try to add :

||||| FREE USENET ||||| ALL BINARIES INCLUDED - ANON TUNNEL - TOTAL ANONYMITY
|||| WARNING |||| - FBI Posting FAKE Hyperlinks and RAIDING all who click on them !!!!!!!
|||| WARNING |||| - FBI Posting FAKE Hyperlinks and RAIDING all who click on them !!!!!!!
||| WHY PAY FOR USENET?? ||| - FREE AN0NYM0US NEWSGROUPS - ALL BINARIES GROUPS INCLUDED
||| DANGER ||| - FBI Posting FAKE Hyperlinks and RAIDING all who click on them !!!!!!!
||| DANGER ||| - FBI Posting FAKE Hyperlinks and RAIDING all who click on them !!!!!!!
||| ALERT ||| - FBI Posting FAKE Hyperlinks and RAIDING all who click on them !!!!!!!
|| USENET SPECIAL || - GET AN AN0NYM0US PRE-PAID USENET ACCOUNT W/ALL BINARIES GROUPS - FREE
|| INTERNET ANONYMITY || - USENET PRIVACY - FILE ENCRYPTION - PRE-PAID VISAS AND MORE ||
|| INTERNET ANONYMITY || - USENET PRIVACY - FILE ENCRYPTION - PRE-PAID VISAS AND MORE ||
|| INTERNET ANONYMITY - USENET PRIVACY - FILE ENCRYPTION - PRE-PAID VISAS AND MORE ||
|| INTERNET ANONYMITY - USENET PRIVACY - FILE ENCRYPTION - PRE-PAID VISAS AND MORE ||
WHEN YOUR SERI0US ABOUT YOUR 0NLINE PRIVACY - TAKE CONTROL T0DAY
WEB PRIVACY, AN0N EMAIL, WEB SURFING, FILE SHARING, IRC, USENET - EVERYTHING
Think that "d-el-et-ed" file is really gone? THINK AGAIN!
Secured/An0nYm0uS IRC, Web Chat USENET and Web Surfing + File Encryption Tools
How websites compile personal info of those who visit them - TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR PRIVACY
File Encryption - Hidden Folders - An0nYm0uS E-Mail & Web Surfing - And More - All Protocols covered
ANONYMOUS WEB PROXIES - MANAGE MULTIPLE PROXIES - REAL 0NLINE AN0NYMITY
AN0NYMOUS PROXIES - AN0N FILE SHARING P2P - PRE-PAID AN0N VISAs AND MORE
AN0NYMOUS PREPAID VISA - ONLINE AN0NYMITY & PRIVACY RESOURCES - ALL PROTOCOLS COVERED
AN0NYMOUS PREPAID VISA - ONLINE AN0NYMITY & PRIVACY RESOURCES - ALL PROTOCOLS COVERED
AN0NYMOUS PR0XIES - AN0N FILE SHARING P2P - PRE-PAID AN0N VISAs AND MORE
AN0NYMOUS NEWSGROUPS - WEB PROXIES - REAL AN0NYMITY - SECURE FILE ENCRYPTION AND MORE
AN0NYMOUS E-MAIL, WEB SURFING, FILE SHARING, AN0n PRE-PAID VISA's AND MORE
AN0NYM0US PRE-PAID VISAs - WEB TOOLS - AN0N USENET - COMPLETE PRIVACY
An0nYm0uS PRE-PAID VISA DEBIT CARDS - MAKE ONLINE PURCHASES WITH TOTAL ANONYMITY
An0nYm0uS E-Mail - File Encryption - Hidden Folders & Web Surfing
An0n Newsgroup Access - An0nYm0uS Pre-Paid Visa Debit Cards - File Encryption Tools
A.n.o.n.y.m.o.u.s Web & Newsgroup tools - AN0NYMITY in ALL PR0T0C0LS
A-NO-NY-MO-US P2P. WEB-SURFING, E-MAIL, ANON WEB HOSTING - FILE ENCRYPTION AND MORE
A-NO-NY-MO-US P2P. WEB-SURFING, E-MAIL, ANON WEB HOSTING - FILE ENCRYPTION AND MORE
@@ HOT USENET DEAL @@ - FREE PREMIUM ANON USENET ACCESS - ALL BINARIES INCLUDED - AN0N TUNNEL! TOTAL ANONYMITY
@@ HOT OFFER @@ - FREE PREMIUM ANON USENET ACCESS - ALL BINARIES INCLUDED - AN0N TUNNEL! TOTAL ANONYMITY
0NLINE PRIVACY WHEN IT COUNTS - INTERNET AN0NYMITY - ALL PROTOCOLS
0NLINE PRIVACY T00LS - AN0NYMITY IN ALL P0PULAR PROTOCOLS - EMAIL, WEBSURFING, FILE SHARING AND MORE
0NLINE PRIVACY T00LS - AN0NYMITY IN ALL P0PULAR PROTOCOLS - EMAIL, WEBSURFING, FILE SHARING AND MORE
0NLINE PRIVACY & ANONYMITY - NEVER A BETTER TIME TO GET SERIOUS - TAKE CONTROL TODAY
0NLINE PRIVACY & ANONYMITY - NEVER A BETTER TIME TO GET SERIOUS
0NLINE AN0NYMITY - SECURED AGE - HIDDEN FOLDERS - TOTAL PRIVACY
## STILL PAYING FOR USENET?? ## - FREE PREMIUM ANON USENET ACCESS - ALL BINARIES INCLUDED - AN0N TUNNEL! TOTAL ANONYMITY
## BEWARE ## - FBI Posting FAKE Hyperlinks and RAIDING all who click on them !!!!!!!
||||| FREE USENET ||||| ALL BINARIES INCLUDED - ANON TUNNEL - TOTAL ANONYMITY
||| ALERT ||| - FBI Posting FAKE Hyperlinks and RAIDING all who click on them !!!!!!!
|| USENET SPECIAL || - GET AN AN0NYM0US PRE-PAID USENET ACCOUNT W/ALL BINARIES GROUPS - FREE
WEB PRIVACY, AN0N EMAIL, WEB SURFING, FILE SHARING, IRC, USENET - EVERYTHING
How websites compile personal info of those who visit them - TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR PRIVACY
AN0NYMOUS PR0XIES - AN0N FILE SHARING P2P - PRE-PAID AN0N VISAs AND MORE
AN0NYMOUS NEWSGROUPS - WEB PROXIES - REAL AN0NYMITY - SECURE FILE ENCRYPTION AND MORE
AN0NYMOUS E-MAIL, WEB SURFING, FILE SHARING, AN0n PRE-PAID VISA's AND MORE
An0nYm0uS PRE-PAID VISA DEBIT CARDS - MAKE ONLINE PURCHASES WITH TOTAL ANONYMITY
An0nYm0uS E-Mail - File Encryption - Hidden Folders & Web Surfing
An0n Newsgroup Access - An0nYm0uS Pre-Paid Visa Debit Cards - File Encryption Tools
@@ HOT USENET DEAL @@ - FREE PREMIUM ANON USENET ACCESS - ALL BINARIES INCLUDED - AN0N TUNNEL! TOTAL ANONYMITY
@@ HOT OFFER @@ - FREE PREMIUM ANON USENET ACCESS - ALL BINARIES INCLUDED - AN0N TUNNEL! TOTAL ANONYMITY
0NLINE PRIVACY WHEN IT COUNTS - INTERNET AN0NYMITY - ALL PROTOCOLS
0NLINE PRIVACY & ANONYMITY - NEVER A BETTER TIME TO GET SERIOUS - TAKE CONTROL TODAY
## STILL PAYING FOR USENET?? ## - FREE PREMIUM ANON USENET ACCESS - ALL BINARIES INCLUDED - AN0N TUNNEL! TOTAL ANONYMITY
||| WHY PAY FOR USENET?? ||| - FREE AN0NYM0US NEWSGROUPS - ALL BINARIES GROUPS INCLUDED
Secured/An0nYm0uS IRC, Web Chat USENET and Web Surfing + File Encryption Tools
File Encryption - Hidden Folders - An0nYm0uS E-Mail & Web Surfing - And More - All Protocols covered
AN0NYMOUS PROXIES - AN0N FILE SHARING P2P - PRE-PAID AN0N VISAs AND MORE
## BEWARE ## - FBI Posting FAKE Hyperlinks and RAIDING all who click on them !!!!!!!

and run it for abmad ( at last astraweb server does filter those spam )

Nothing will be blocked.

thedoc31

Application error

Post by thedoc31 »

Experienced an application error tonight when closing NL5b6 after opening many groups. Occurred at exactly the same time that the "cleanup recommended" dialog box popped up suggesting I clean up some groups.

Bug Data1:
kdjakldja <>

Bug Data2:
Access violation at address 0085D555 in module 'newsLeecher.exe'. Read of address 00000008

thedoc31

Strange keyboard shortcut behavior

Post by thedoc31 »

Also noticed this...

CTRL-HOME and CTRL-END do not seem to function in a long list of articles in a way that is consistent with the Windows Explorer UI. You can replicate this by doing the following. Open a large list of articles, click somewhere in the middle to highlight an article.

From this position, CTRL-HOME should pop a caret (dotted-highlight) to the top article in the list, without changing focus from the currently-highlighted article. This functions, but a dotted highlight does not appear at the top of the list. If you then use the arrow keys in an attempt to select the item directly below the caret, NL jumps the whole list back to the highlight then moves up or down one article from the previously-highlighted position. If you do this in Windows Explorer, the highlight moves to second item in the list.

CTRL-END also doesn't work as expected, as it pops you to the end of the list and moves the horizontal scroll bar to the far right rather than popping a caret to the last item in the list. Pressing an arrow key from there has the same effect as above, except the list is scrolled all the way to the right.

Kind of annoying for those of us accustomed to using keyboard shortcuts all the time :)

thedoc31

Usability suggestions

Post by thedoc31 »

Last one for tonight, I promise.

If I'm in the Articles list with the Group Name sidebar open, why can't I just right-click a newsgroup I don't want to see any longer and unsubscribe it? I'd also like to see an "unload" option in the right-click menu that would perform the same "unload" as unchecking the checkbox next to the group. You could argue this is redundant functionality, but for someone unfamiliar with the software, unchecking a box might not automatically mean "unload the group" in their head.

Along this same train of thought, if I try to unsubscribe an active group, why can't NL pop up something helpful such as a dialog box verifying that it will automatically unload the group and unsubscribe it rather than that "go unload it yourself" dialog box? This is just extra work forcing me to load another group or go uncheck the box in the Articles tab before I can unsubscribe it. Seems like it could be a very simple solution.

All in all, I am impressed with the changes to NL5. I really am enjoying the new interface, and the speed with which it starts up, searches, and loads those compressed headers is amazing. I avoided the early betas but decided to take the plunge tonight and am glad I did. Keep it up!

Arsby

Re: Usability suggestions

Post by Arsby »

thedoc31 wrote: If I'm in the Articles list with the Group Name sidebar open, why can't I just right-click a newsgroup I don't want to see any longer and unsubscribe it?...
...if I try to unsubscribe an active group, why can't NL pop up something helpful such as a dialog box verifying that it will automatically unload the group and unsubscribe it rather than that "go unload it yourself" dialog box?
Great idea! I have about 4 groups in my subscribed groups that I don't really want to see anymore but haven't figured out how to get them unsubscribed. Something about "active"? Unload them? NL has made so many other things so easy, why not this?
thedoc31 wrote: All in all, I am impressed with the changes to NL5. I really am enjoying the new interface, and the speed with which it starts up, searches, and loads those compressed headers is amazing... Keep it up!
Absolutely. Also, it's been extremely stable for me. The other night I leached something like 20 movies, 30 images sets, and a couple of music albums. Just selected them for leeching, walked away for a few hours, let RnE do its job, and when I looked again all 50+ vids/imagesets/albums were down, extracted, and ready, and all of the mess was cleaned up. Awesome!

nwambach

Speed limit is reset when changing NL settings

Post by nwambach »

WHen I change settings in 5 beta 6 the speed limit is reset. I haven't tested changing any other settings, but I was able to consistently reproduce by changing the "Pause is disk space gets below" setting and hitting OK.