NewsLeecher 5.0 beta 8 issues

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
Arsby

Post by Arsby »

Awww, it didn't fix my two gripes:

1) When I right click on an article I want it to immediately start leeching if I click "leech", I don't want to have to click leech in the list of ways to leech.

2) The search result filter (upper right on SS) won't auto-expand as promised, still too small.

Next time will be the charm, right?

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

Arsby wrote:Awww, it didn't fix my two gripes:

1) When I right click on an article I want it to immediately start leeching if I click "leech", I don't want to have to click leech in the list of ways to leech.
You can also click the leech button on the toolbar or use the white space keyboard shortcut.

But I'll make an extra addition to the popup for the next release, so you can click leech directly.
Arsby wrote:2) The search result filter (upper right on SS) won't auto-expand as promised, still too small.
I'll think about it. I want the result filter box separated from the main search box, to avoid confusion about which input box is used for what.

Maybe a nerdy tweak to specify the width of the result filter box could be a solution.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

Arsby

Post by Arsby »

You're the best, Spiril!

Please help me out with my other gripe that I just posted to the SS forum. It will make me and several others very happy.

Spiril
Site Admin

Re: Supersearch Repeatable exception error

Post by Spiril »

the doctor wrote:V5b8 and previous

Windows 7 64bit / AMD Phenom II X6 1090T / 12Gb

This error occurs when a supersearch is done that lists new results.
This is a repeatable error.

In Supersearch, search for anything that lists new results and then click on one of the results. An exception error message immediately appears.

This error has been occurring for quite some time in many betas.

This is a repeatable error which is not been corrected.

After the error occurs multiple times it stops occurring until restarting NL

Bug Data1:
BGEXP_1234

Bug Data2:
Access violation at address 0058D1F9 in module 'newsLeecher.exe'. Read of address 0000000D
Hmm, I can't reproduce the bug.

How do you click the articles ? With the mouse, or keyboard ? If keyboard, what key do you click.

Does it matter whether Watchdog is on or off, or if it's a new search, or a refreshed search?
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

Arsby wrote:You're the best, Spiril!

Please help me out with my other gripe that I just posted to the SS forum. It will make me and several others very happy.
Got it on the todo.
Arsby wrote:(With everyone complaining about the absence of "notes", I'm beginning to miss something that I never used.)
It might seem like "everyone" misses the notes feature. But some time ago I checked to see how many actually use the feature, and the result was that less than 0.1% of the NewsLeecher users had tried the feature more than a couple of times. Less than 0.05% used it frequently.

I think that if a botanical encyclopedia was implemented into NewsLeecher and removed a couple of years later, it would seem like "everyone" misses it by looking at the forum posts right after the non-botanical release, since the unsatisfied users are by far (very far actually) the most vocal ones in the forums.

That being said, there's a good alternative to the notes feature, now that quick links are available.

Dibbler

Post by Dibbler »

It might seem like "everyone" misses the notes feature. But some time ago I checked to see how many actually use the feature, and the result was that less than 0.1% of the NewsLeecher users had tried the feature more than a couple of times. Less than 0.05% used it frequently.
I am not sure how you have checked on that but I can assure you that I have always used it and would love to continue to as I find it a valuable reminder.

A long time ago you posted about looking into the issue of duplicate posts being listed when you use virtual groups. You did mention that it would be fixed, but that was noted in 2005. The problem is still there. Is it possible for you to sort this out please..?

Hi

I know that this has been posted before but now we are in the beta of series 4 is there any chance that the duplicate posts shown when you have created virtual groups be removed from being displayed please.?

Spiral noted it here in 2005....

viewtopic.php?t=4841

Added but needs improvement

* Virtual groups. Combine many groups into one big virtual group.

Remove duplicates

It was requested again in 2008...

viewtopic.php?t=15760&highlight=

I have tried, IIRC, beta 5 of version 4 and it is still there.

Thanks

shalom2005

New Filter Box in test beta

Post by shalom2005 »

+: The width of the main filter boxes in NewsLeecher are now
automatically adjusted, depending on the space available on the
NewsLeecher toolbars.

This simply does not work!!

I increased the size from 450-750 and it made no difference. The filter box is currently right next to the Search box, why can't it stay that why and be increased in size (double?)
Best Regards

Steven from Chigwell, Essex

retownes

Post by retownes »

Arsby wrote:(With everyone complaining about the absence of "notes", I'm beginning to miss something that I never used.)
[/quote]

Spiril - I'm curious as to how you arrived at this calculation. You say that you checked to see how many people were using that feature??

Dibbler

Post by Dibbler »

retownes wrote: Spiril - I'm curious as to how you arrived at this calculation. You say that you checked to see how many people were using that feature??

That is what I was eluding to as well. It makes me wonder what Newsleecher is reporting back to the dev if he is in the position of being able to monitor to usage of it with that degree of accuracy.

the doctor

Unofficial Release

Post by the doctor »

Thanks, excellent group of fixes.

the doctor

Re: Supersearch Repeatable exception error

Post by the doctor »

Spiril wrote:

In Supersearch, search for anything that lists new results and then click on one of the results. An exception error message immediately appears.

Bug Data1:
BGEXP_1234

Bug Data2:
Access violation at address 0058D1F9 in module 'newsLeecher.exe'. Read of address 0000000D

How do you click the articles ? With the mouse, or keyboard ? If keyboard, what key do you click.

Does it matter whether Watchdog is on or off, or if it's a new search, or a refreshed search?
Watchdog off (have not tried with it on).

Mouse Click any part of listing text.

Djs

screen placement of options

Post by Djs »

Spiril, can you make it that the Options and Settings that are now on the far right can be dragged back to be along side the options on the Left side of the screen please.

On a large wide screen monitor, the new placement of options so far away on the far right are not pleasant at all.
It's much easier to use when everything is grouped together.

Thanks,
David.

Downstream

Post by Downstream »

retownes wrote:Where did my notes go???!!!
It has been removed several versions ago. The reason given: Make NL more lightweight.
Then an Xmas them gets added :wink:

retownes

Post by retownes »

Downstream wrote:
retownes wrote:Where did my notes go???!!!
It has been removed several versions ago. The reason given: Make NL more lightweight.
Then an Xmas them gets added :wink:
The irony...

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

Dibbler wrote:I am not sure how you have checked on that but I can assure you that I have always used it and would love to continue to as I find it a valuable reminder.
Can you use the new quick links feature as a replacement ?
Dibbler wrote:A long time ago you posted about looking into the issue of duplicate posts being listed when you use virtual groups. You did mention that it would be fixed, but that was noted in 2005. The problem is still there. Is it possible for you to sort this out please..?
Still on the todo. It requires quite a bit of rewrite of the core code in NL, so it's not a quick fix, but I'm planning on fixing it together with the implementation of full text reader support.
retownes wrote:Spiril - I'm curious as to how you arrived at this calculation. You say that you checked to see how many people were using that feature??
I made a check specifically to see how many times the notes button and a couple of other rarely used buttons were clicked, to find out whether they are redundant. Only data check ever made in NL btw. Except for the key validation of course.
the doctor wrote:
Spiril wrote:

Bug Data1:
BGEXP_1234

Bug Data2:

Watchdog off (have not tried with it on).

Mouse Click any part of listing text.
Hmm, strange. I cant reproduce it on any test systems. I think it's a pretty rare bug, or you would have seen a lot more reporting it. I'll keep trying to look for it.
Djs wrote:Spiril, can you make it that the Options and Settings that are now on the far right can be dragged back to be along side the options on the Left side of the screen please.

On a large wide screen monitor, the new placement of options so far away on the far right are not pleasant at all.
It's much easier to use when everything is grouped together.

Thanks,
David.
I've just uploaded a new unofficial forum release (check below) where all the controls are left aligned. Lets give it a test and see how it works out :)

---------

Unofficial Forum Release #2:

<pre>+: Added 'Append to SuperSearch Search Query' input box. The box
can be used for inputting a string that should always be
appended to the query sent to the SuperSearch server.
This can be useful for, for example, permanently excluding
articles containing certaing keywords, such as language
specific articles.</pre>

Also, all toolbar controls are now left aligned and the secondary result filter boxes have been made wider.

Peace, love, good leeching and a nice weekend to everyone :)

Edit:
Oh, here's the link to the second unofficial forum test:

http://www.newsleecher.com/nl50009ufc2.exe