NewsLeecher V5.0 Beta 9 Thread

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
Spiril
Site Admin

NewsLeecher V5.0 Beta 9 Thread

Post by Spiril »

Beta Release : NewsLeecher V5.0 Beta 9

Please use this thread to write about the above mentioned version of NewsLeecher.

Release Notes : http://www.newsleecher.com/?id=versionhistory
Last edited by Spiril on Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

kublai

Re: NewsLeecher V5.0 Beta 9 Thread

Post by kublai »

There is something wrong with this version of NL. My screen keeps refreshing and I can't do anything. The only way to stop it was to do the alt+ctrl+del

Anyone else having problems?

EDIT: Odd, seems to be working normally now after I installed unofficial b3 and re-installed b9

EDIT 2: It seems that if you startup NL on the News/Log tab, the program would keep trying to refresh itself. Once you click on another tab it's OK.
Spiril wrote:Beta Release : NewsLeecher V5.0 Beta 9

Please use this thread to write about the above mentioned version of NewsLeecher.

Release Notes : http://www.newsleecher.com/?id=versionhistory

Arsby

Re: NewsLeecher V5.0 Beta 9 Thread

Post by Arsby »

Thank you thank you thank you for taking care of my two little gripes:
- Right-click/Leech leeches the article without having to hit a subitem,
- The main filter box is wider.
kublai wrote: EDIT 2: It seems that if you startup NL on the News/Log tab, the program would keep trying to refresh itself. Once you click on another tab it's OK.
With regard to kublai's problem, I can't duplicate it. Mine opens in the News tab just fine. Maybe the problem is specific to the operating system; I'm using Vista.

highwaykind

Post by highwaykind »

On the articles tab, where did the drop down group selecting thing vanish to?? It's what I used to select the group (I really do not like the checkbox thing since you have to double click to actually activate the group then, and it takes up way too much space on the left of the screen).

Happy to see the clean up button back for Supersearch!
Edit: And the Leech button at the top without having to go to leech in that submenu.

Arsby

Post by Arsby »

highwaykind wrote:On the articles tab, where did the drop down group selecting thing vanish to?? It's what I used to select the group (I really do not like the checkbox thing since you have to double click to actually activate the group then, and it takes up way too much space on the left of the screen).
I never knew there was a drop down group selection thing, and I like the little checkboxes because I can remove a particularly spammy newsgroup by checking the virtual group and unchecking the spammy newsgroup inside of it.
What's this about the the checkboxes taking up space?... they take up about 15 pixels on my monitor that has a resolution 1400 pixels wide.

Here's a funny little behavior I found on the articles page:
To duplicate it you have to have at least 2 virtual groups.
Click and highlight one of the virtual groups.
Keep clicking on the + sign on another virtual group to open it and close it a few times (open close open close).
The check mark in the highlighted group will mark and unmark.
It's not really a problem, but then again it's probably not intended, either.
Please try to wrap your mind around just how bored I am to come up with that.

highwaykind

Post by highwaykind »

Arsby wrote:
I never knew there was a drop down group selection thing, and I like the little checkboxes because I can remove a particularly spammy newsgroup by checking the virtual group and unchecking the spammy newsgroup inside of it.
What's this about the the checkboxes taking up space?... they take up about 15 pixels on my monitor that has a resolution 1400 pixels wide.
There used to be a yellow folder icon in the status bar which when clicked showed a drop-down menu for all groups you are subscribed to. If you select a group it would immediately go to that group, delete old headers and update news ones (versus having to uncheck current group, checking and double clicking new active group).

I always browse 1 group at the time.
And I always drag that divider for the active tab so that the whole checkbox AND group list is not shown at all (or hit the double arrows, or hit H) so that the group headers take up the full width of my screen (so with nothing on the left there it that saves me quite a bit more space than only 15 pixels, especially with longer group names).

Edit - I just found where it vanished to - YAY - rightclick and hit Subscriptions, or press G.
(would be nice to have something like this listed in the 'what changed' topic :) )

So, problem fixed, pressing G and selecting the groups works great.

Arsby

Post by Arsby »

highwaykind wrote: Edit - I just found where it vanished to - YAY - rightclick and hit Subscriptions, or press G.
Cool! Thanks for pointing that out.

grimlock72

Post by grimlock72 »

Windows Defender wants to send newsleecher.exe to Microsoft for some reason. It doesn't tell me WHY though, doesn't complain about it at all. Just wants to send the binary to Microsoft. Which is fine with me, but seems pointless ? :)

Enzomatrx

Systray Icon Right-Click options missing?

Post by Enzomatrx »

Don't know when this started, but when I right click the NewsLeecher icon when it's minimized to the tray, I no longer get the options for pausing/resuming/changing the speed.

Don't know if it's been reported (searches bring up the F9 key not working in previous betas), but it is a feature I loved and used a lot.

Species1571

Post by Species1571 »

Why is it always that for something to get fixed, something else has to get broken? It was bad enough when you removed the simple dropdown group selection menu bar and replaced it with the silly icon in the articles tab. Then it was bad enough when you moved the silly little icon all the way over to the other side of the screen from everything else. Now even the silly little icon is gone altogether and the only way to switch groups is with that stupid group navigation panel. It's becoming more of a chore every time.

Edit: Ok i see the post about it being on the G key shortcut, that's fine for now but please bring back the menu bar, there's enough room for it above the tabs. Or at very least the little icon in the articles tab. Maybe take the best of both and replace the icon with a wider menu bar in the articles tab, where the "count" button is now. I don't think that count button should even be there anyway, that function should be in the GNP right-click menu.

Voyager2k

Post by Voyager2k »

My licence just expired even tho it's good till jan 02. After restarting NL it came up with the trial/purchase/enter members area login window and after logging in it congratulated me to my newly (lol) registered copy.

Weird stuff. Thought you'd wanna know.

Besides that ... stop breaking the UI every other version ffs. Get some UI metrics measurement tools and start monitoring clicks and mouse distance traveled in NL betas and stop messing with stuff that works (or actually improve it which hasn't happened in a long time).

mgreenwa

Exit

Post by mgreenwa »

Is there a formal method of exiting the app now? I'd rather not just use the upper-right red X if I don't have to.

carloX

Post by carloX »

change download folder doesn't work here (nl5beta9).
in the queue-tab, right mouseclick on 'Change DL. Folder' has no effect....

carloX