V7beta2 article not marked as Downloaded after extract

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
JohnNL

V7beta2 article not marked as Downloaded after extract

Post by JohnNL »

There's a slight change in the way a downloaded article is extracted: In previous versions when you select the article containing many parts, ALL parts were downloaded and the extract process took over to combine, repair and extract the final file to the proper destination folder.

Often, the par files were never needed (if the rar files are all ok). But they would be downloaded anyway. Now, in V7 beta 2, the par files are kept in the queue, but marked at "Paused". The result is that you don't have to unnecessarily download unneeded files.

The problem: In beta 2, if the par files aren't ever needed, then the original article is NOT marked at "Downloaded". It still shows up green background shading as "OK". This causes confusion because if you look at the all articles a day later or so, you can't tell what you previously downloaded vs. didn't. They all say OK.

Suggestion/solution: Automatically (or as an option), after successfully extracting the article/file, mark the entire article pieces as "Downloaded" which will make it turn grey shading and show "OK".

Sunfox

Re: V7beta2 article not marked as Downloaded after extract

Post by Sunfox »

Now, I know you're saying that in V7 PAR2 files are now being marked as "paused"... but this feature has been around for a LONG time. I think since V4, maybe even V3.

The "Auto PAR2 Queue Handling" setting is responsible for automatically pausing PAR2 sets when queued (along with other files - if you queue PAR2 files by themselves, they won't pause), and then unpausing specific ones only if they are deemed needed.

The "Auto Queue Cleaning" setting is responsible for deleting unneeded PAR2 files once the repair and extraction has completed.

Unneeded PAR2 files are never marked as downloaded, but if they are sorted into the same collection as the main RAR files, then the fact that all main files have been downloaded will mark that set, as a whole, as "downloaded". Note that exceptionally small sets with an unusually high number of PAR2 files may only show as "sampled", since I think there is some threshold of "X number of files download out of Y number = downloaded".

So, I don't know why your collections aren't being marked as "downloaded". Are you browsing headers? Do you not have article grouping enabled? Have you disabled download tracking entirely?

JohnNL

Post by JohnNL »

>> Now, I know you're saying that in V7 PAR2 files are now being marked as "paused"... but this feature has been around for a LONG time. I think since V4, maybe even V3.

I don't see an option in V7 Repair & Extract relative to "paused" or not. But they were never paused before. Where is that option?

Also, yes I am browsing headers of articles after "update groups/all" process. The article collection has a + to the left and i merely click on the white box next to the plus to initiate downloading that article. I have article grouping enabled (combining several groups into one virtual group).

I see the news/log tab but where is "download tracking" option?

JohnNL

Post by JohnNL »

I found it: "Auto Par Queue Handling". By UN-checking this option, all pieces (including PAR files) are downloaded. When complete the article Status is marked as "Downloaded" and background color of the article changed from green to grey.

Note, otherwise the article Status stays as "OK".

#1tech

Post by #1tech »

Great suggestion! I was getting "Paused" downloads that I had to manually verify and extract all the time.
By unchecking the "Auto Par Queue Handling" option all my downloads are now verifying and extracting and there are no leftover PAR files remaining in the "Download folder". They all went to the "Trash" after successful extraction.
THANK YOU!!!!!

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Sunfox

Post by Sunfox »

The only time I ever see leftover "paused" downloads in my queue (or in the directory), is when the set cannot be repaired and extracted - either because there weren't enough PAR2 parts to repair (or the original downloaded filenames didn't match the PAR2 entries - note that this is now changed in V7, where it can match intact renamed files but not broken ones), or if it was password protected and I hadn't specified the password.

So, I'm not sure what's happening with you guys. Have you tried Beta 3 UFR #4 which I think is the most current?

I wonder if this might tie in with some of the RnE weirdness I'm seeing, where it seems to get confused and ends up both thinking it's finished files it hasn't even started, and gets stuck extracting files that haven't been downloaded yet. Since the weirdness is also doing weird things with the queue (like deleting files that haven't been downloaded yet), I wouldn't put it past it all tracking back to a bug in the auto queue handling, which you might be working around by disabling.

#1tech

Post by #1tech »

I am using Beta 3 UFR #4. Since I turned off "Auto Queue Handling" yesterday I have no more paused downloads clogging up the download queue and all good file sets have verified and extracted.
Would be nice if the files sets that did not pass verfication were automatically deleted and the file set name in the queue marked "Failed Verification". That would eliminate a lot of junk remaining in the download folder. :idea:

JohnNL

Post by JohnNL »

Yes, I think we need another option to control this. My main objection (besides the clogging of the download queue) is that the article-set is NOT marked as downloaded. So when I go back the next day or next week, I may end up downloading the same article-set file because it is not marked as downloaded.

The UN-checking option seems to work fine because the par files are quite small, so that is small price to pay for having the cleanup and status correct.

But, a little software design improvement could fix this in future beta.

#1tech

Post by #1tech »

johnNL: Good point, this thread about "Auto Queue Handling" is important and I agree with you that it needs improvement. It is something that needs additional work. I believe It should be moved to the "Wishlist for Santa" forum where It might get more attention there from the Moderators. This is buried to deep in the "Beta Releases" forum and might get missed here.

JohnNL

Post by JohnNL »

Thanks for the suggestion. I opened a new thread in the Wishlist forum.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25737

Sunfox

Post by Sunfox »

But what is your actual complaint about "Auto PAR Queue Handling"? That it doesn't mark articles as downloaded? That it doesn't removed unused articles from the queue?

I can assure you that it NOT how it's supposed to be working. That's NOT how it's worked for YEARS in NL, and isn't even how it's working for me at this very minute.

I have both of the options I mention in my first post in this thread enabled, and so long as I don't accidentally trigger the RnE queue bug when adding new items, it works exactly as it's supposed to.

When you queue a set containing RAR and PAR files, this is how it's already supposed to behave:

1) The initial PAR file is downloaded and used to add the set to the Repair queue.
2) All other PAR files are automatically set to paused.
3) As RAR files are downloaded, they are checked for consistency.
4) By the time the RAR files are done coming in, the entire set is already marked as downloaded in your history (either SS or article headers), as each individual file is recorded when it comes in, not only when the set is done. At the very minimum the set should show "sampled".
5) Only the exact required number of PAR files needed to repair the set (if any) are unpaused and then downloaded.
6) If needed, the repair process fixes the set.
7) The set is extracted.
8) All remaining entries relating to this set are removed from the main queue.
9) The RnE queue entry changes to "completed".

At this point you will have your extracted file, a blank article queue, and a single line in the RnE queue stating completed. All no longer needed files (RAR/PAR) will have been automatically deleted.

So, if I'm misunderstanding your actual issue, please clarify, because this is all still working as intended for me, so long as I don't trigger the RnE queue crashing bug...

JohnNL

Post by JohnNL »

Just to summarize what I found, and hope this explains it:

"Auto Par Queue Handling". By UN-checking this option, all pieces (including PAR files) are downloaded. When complete, the article Status is marked as "Downloaded" and background color of the article changed from green to grey.
Note, otherwise the article Status stays as "OK".
My main objection to checking this option is that the article-set is NOT marked as downloaded. So when I go back the next day or next week, I may end up downloading the same article-set file all over again because it is not marked as downloaded.

I don't know which way I had the option previously checked or not-checked, but I assume previously it was not checked; I had no complaint. But, when I installed V7 it appears that some options (this one) was reset as opposed to leaving the user's option alone. Hence causing the visual confusion as to whether article-file-sets were previously OK or Downloaded. They showed OK. When I clicked the + I could then see that some pieces (but not the par files) were downloaded.

I'm happy with the way V7B2 is working now for me with Auto-Par-Queue-Handling UN-checked.

Sunfox

Post by Sunfox »

V7 did indeed reset a bunch of settings, and wiped out like 400 days of download history to my EXTREME annoyance... but what I'm trying to say to you is that having that option checked should NOT cause the program to fail to mark articles as downloaded.

Even in v7B3 USR4 with that specific option checked, all my articles are being properly marked as downloaded AND I don't have to spend time downloading unneeded PAR files. Heck - even if I only download 1 tiny file out of 100, the collection line STILL turns grey and becomes "sampled". It NEVER stays on green/"OK" if I've touched it in any way. This is the way NL has always been.

So, you are not making a "feature request"... you are reporting a bug.

It might have to do with article header handling. Do you have access to SS? Downloads made on one side should be mirrored on the other.

Although, wouldn't it be ironic if this was a bug that's already been fixed in B3, which is why everything's behaving as I've always expected it? You should really try the new version. :-)

JohnNL

Post by JohnNL »

I installed the new beta 3 unofficial forum release #4, and then CHECKED the option Auto Par2 Queue handling. The problem appears to be fixed. Par files are initially paused in the queue, and then after successful extract, the unneeded par files are deleted, and file-article-set is marked as Downloaded. Thanks Spiril for fixing this.

UPDATE: Oops. Just discovered that if the download of pieces is not complete (because one or more pieces are missing), the extract is marked RED because it is incomplete, and of course the par2 files are sitting in the queue. So, manually I selected all the Par2 files, and un-paused them, causing them to be downloaded. Then the extract function automatically took over and repaired and successfully extracted everything.

Looks like this option still needs a little work Spiril.

Sunfox

Post by Sunfox »

Hmm. That's still a bit odd. Are you saying if any of the PAR2 files are needed, it's not working?