Features Removed....Why??

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
BAWz

Features Removed....Why??

Post by BAWz » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:06 am

Newleecher....the best client for newgroups is now taking bad advice from MS Office 2k13 developers and removing key usable features.

1. When I check a box to DL a group of articles in the group browser, the check does not remain in box. When the group is expanded, I see all the articles checked but not when they are grouped. This IS the key feature that moved me from the old Xnews.

2. The group is not marked as "Downloaded," "Sampled" or "Incomplete." UNLESS, I hit the "+" sign and open the entire group to show the individual articles marked. This is especially annoying when a group of articles is incomplete and I have no way of knowing from just the browser view.

3. Groups are automatically expanded on the Queue tab. This is VERY bad. Especially with this update, I check (and double check) grouped articles that I really don't want by accident. To stop the download in the Queue tab, I have to uncheck all articles individually.

I looked and can not find any setting or toggles. This pushes me back to the previous beta.

This is a major step backwards in the user interface of the best newgroup client I've used in 20 years. Very reminiscent of what MS did with the latest Office. NL people, please don't do what MS did when they said "that's how Office works now." Please fix this.

Jed

Re: Features Removed....Why??

Post by Jed » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:29 pm

I also found your #2 issue extremely annoying. There were so many issues with 7 that I went back to the last 6 beta. I'm wondering why there wasn't a 6 final before 7 beta was issued.

Sunfox

Post by Sunfox » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:44 am

Hmm.

1. When you talk about "group browser", are you talking about viewing a news group as in you manually downloaded the headers (ie. via the Articles tab), or are you talking about SuperSearch results? I think it's important to get the terminology correct to avoid confusion.

2. So you're saying that no collections of articles are ever marked downloaded/sampled/incomplete? I will tell you right now that there's something wrong with your installation of NL, because I'm using V7 B3 UFR4 and it's working exactly the same as all other versions - raw news groups headers AND SuperSearch results are all correctly marked downloaded / sampled / incomplete.

But... something I should note, I upgraded to this from an early beta of V5 (yes, I skipped 6 entirely), and upon the upgrade it wiped out over 400 days of tracked downloads (and reset some other settings)... meaning I had to start tracking over from scratch (although since that point, which was about a month ago, everything's been fine). I'm wondering if your installation has a corrupt download cache which is preventing this feature from working correctly.

3. This also isn't right. I continue to have the same grouped Queue as before. Again, I'm wondering about your terminology - because even if the groups of articles were "automatically expanded", you would only have to click on the root parent to delete the whole group at once . So, are you saying they aren't grouped at all in the first place?

I'm wondering if it would pay for you guys to do a complete, clean install of V7. Because I'm definitely not seeing the major problems you are.

BAWz

Post by BAWz » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:25 am

Thx for replying. It is very helpful in trying to figure out what going on.

1. I was actually talking about the "Articles" tab. I check and it's occurring in the "SuperSearch" tab too.

2. Articles are marked but only if you expand the group.

3. There are no "+" or "-" signs to expand or collapse the group under the "queue" tab. It's expanded by default.

However, I am going from v6 to v7. I want to avoid a complete wipe of NL. I have my newsgroups set, my SuperSearch saved, all my favorite settings. DANG IT!!

But it's good to know that the features are still there. Maybe the next beta will correct for installing v6 over v7. Thx for the info.

Is there a way to do a "clean" install BUT keep my old setting?? Please NL gods. Help me.

Jed

Post by Jed » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:25 am

I also installed 7 over 6 and there is no way that I am going to lose all of my groups by doing a new install. I've been running NL betas for many years and 7 is the first one that I don't want to use. Actually, it seems more like an alpha than a beta. I think that the NL gods have died.

BAWz

Post by BAWz » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:48 pm

If you install v7 over v6 it will appear to lose key NL features. You must do a clean install or install over v5 to get v7 to work to its fullest. However, you can save your settings from v6. Here is how it's done.

1. Navigate down to the c:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\NewsLeecher folder
2. Copy the "downloaded.v2.dat" and "setup.v2.dat" files to a different folder
3. Uninstall NL v6
4. Move or delete the NL folder from the Roaming folder
5. Install NL v7, start the program, then close the program
6. Copy the "downloaded.v2.dat" and "setup.v2.dat" files to the NewsLeecher folder

You will have to update all your groups BUT this will save you time on remembering all your server, group, and NL settings. Seems like the developers got rid of a lot of obsolete files and folders, and condensed settings into just two files.