Mouse Over should determine mouse wheel scroll

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
noblemd

Mouse Over should determine mouse wheel scroll

Post by noblemd » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:37 pm

I know this is trivial, but it is a really annoying.

Oh that's right, this is NewsLeecher. I have to click inside the section or component I want to scroll before I use the mouse scroll wheel.

NewsLeecher should work the same as other programs. It should not be necessary to remember – Oh that's right, this is NewsLeecher…

Does anyone know if there is a way to make scroll wheel function work properly in the current beta – a setting somewhere – like the double-click filter box setting?

In every other Windows compliant program – Mouse Over location determines what scrolls in the active program when the mouse scroll wheel is moved. Mouse wheel movement should NOT scroll the last clicked component.

For example in MS Word if the mouse cursor is over the main text window – the main text window scrolls. If the mouse cursor is over the ribbon menu or the ribbon itself – the ribbon scrolls. No mouseclick is required. Same thing in Internet Explorer – if the mouse cursor is over the main window it scrolls. If the mouse cursor is over a scrollable window on a webpage, the scrollable window scrolls. No mouseclick is required.

Other Examples: Chrome, Firefox, Open Office, Directory Opus, UltraEdit Professional, and many more.

I don't know about other people, but when I am looking at the headers in NewsLeecher I move the mouse cursor over the header I'm reading – keeps me from wandering up or down a line and if I want to download the header, I move the cursor the short distance to the checkbox and click.

It is very annoying to be looking at the headers – move the mouse wheel to scroll the headers and NewsLeecher changes something else and totally screws up the header listing. Such as moving the search drop-down entry, just because that was the last thing clicked.

I've been trying to get this fixed since NewsLeecher 1.0. Please fix scroll wheel function so it works in NewsLeecher like it works in other programs.

Destroyer

Re: Mouse Over should determine mouse wheel scroll

Post by Destroyer » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:04 am

noblemd wrote: In every other Windows compliant program – Mouse Over location determines what scrolls in the active program when the mouse scroll wheel is moved. Mouse wheel movement should NOT scroll the last clicked component.
Erm, I am quite sure that is not the case. The programs you have mentioned, as you say, do do this, but that is specifically put into the program. This is NOT default Windows behaviour. This is because in Windows 10 they have actually natively implemented said feature. Try scrolling between actual applications, it doesn't work, you need to click on them to bring them in focus.

Newsleecher therefore is arguably just replicating native Windows behaviour internally in the program.

Putting that aside, yes your feature request would be nice as an option that can be toggled perhaps :)
Please note: I am NOT official newsleecher support.

Sunfox

Post by Sunfox » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:29 am

It's definitely not native Windows behavior, but a lot of software does have that feature... and I think a lot of mouse/trackpad drivers have a similar thing written into them to support this as well.

What's more annoying to me, is there are occasions when the text in NL's text boxes (like the Super Search box) will be highlighted as if it's in focus and you can type to replace it... but it's not ACTUALLY in focus, so when you start typing you end up hitting all sorts of keyboard commands (like "h" to hide the left list, etc). Not sure why this happens, but it's been happening since at least V5.

noblemd

Post by noblemd » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:05 am

Yes, I know there's hundreds of improperly coded programs out there that do not implement the scroll wheel properly. The key is, in other programs, when the mouse wheel scrolls – it merely scrolls the active component – nothing is changed. In NewsLeecher if you are hovering over the headers window in the Articles tab and the search component was the last thing clicked – the search parameters are changed when the scroll wheel is moved and the header window changes as well – improper behavior.

Why not make mouse over – mouse scroll wheel in NewsLeecher work the same way as it does in a majority of the most used programs.

This has nothing to do with mouse drivers it is specifically part of the way a program reacts to mouse input – C#, Visual Basic, Delphi, Microsoft DLLs, and other visual programming language components have a mouse-over function that can be specifically programmed to do whatever is needed when the mouse is over a particular component.

Example:

C#
public Form1()
{
InitializeComponent();
}

private void listBox1_MouseHover(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
(programming-what to do-placed here)
}

At least activate standard mouse over – mouse scroll wheel functioning in the headers window. Or, disable the scroll wheel for other components when the mouse is over the headers list.

As I stated earlier, it is very annoying to have the mouse over the headers window and move the scroll wheel only to have some other component change and screw up the headers list.

Like the double-click filter box a setting could be implemented to turn it off for those that prefer the last clicked on item to scroll instead.