Beta 7: File associations gone

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
apokalips

Beta 7: File associations gone

Post by apokalips »

In Beta7, whenever I directly open a JPG from Newsleecher, it will open with Notepad. In Windows the file associations are ok. When I doublclick a JPG in Windows it opens with my default pictureviewer.

I tried to change settings somewhere but I can't get it right. Any help is appreciated.

Sunfox

Re: Beta 7: File associations gone

Post by Sunfox »

Maybe this is a regression. In one of the earlier unofficial forum releases of Beta 7, file associations changed so EVERYTHING would open with the default windows viewer for that file type. The problem is, if it was an unknown file extension (like an obfuscated text file description for a posting), instead of opening in Notepad like it used to do, it would prompt Windows to ask to associate that file type with something. Very annoying, because the file extensions are a random 3 digit number.

As of UFR 4 (older than the released Beta 7) this was supposedly fixed, and I can say that when I choose to open a JPG it does open in the proper image viewer, while unknown file types are opened with Notepad. However, I have not yet upgraded to the "official" Beta 7 to see if this still works as it should.

apokalips

Post by apokalips »

Thanks for your reply Sunfox.

I have reset the file association in Windows, despite the fact that opening the files from a Windows explorer went OK.
This fixed it.

schhim

Post by schhim »

I had to downgrade to 6 beta to correct it. Go figure.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

schhim wrote:I had to downgrade to 6 beta to correct it. Go figure.
This unofficial forum test release should fix the issue :

http://www.newsleecher.com/nl70008.ufr1.exe
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.