beta 7Beta7 update cleared status field

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
JohnNL

beta 7Beta7 update cleared status field

Post by JohnNL »

After updating from 7B6 to beta 7, I opened NL and retrieved new headers for a newsgroup. The STATUS field now shows "OK" for all articles/files and none of the articles I previously downloaded show "DOWNLOADED" for the status anymore.

Is this intentional? Did this happen to anyone else? As a result I can't go back and see what has been downloaded before, so I have ended up accidently re-downloading past articles.

I have now gone back to 7B6 beta. Should I wait for beta v8 for a fix? (W 8.1 64)

Also the first time I opened 7Beta7, I got this BUG CHECK:

Bug Data #1:
Dupes database seems to be corrupted: 180

Bug Data #2:
Invalid argument to date encode

JohnNL

Re: beta 7Beta 8 update cleared status field

Post by JohnNL »

I tried updating from 7b6 to 7 beta 8. Same thing happened: All files previously marked "Downloaded" have been reset to "OK". So I have no idea what files I previously downloaded or not.

Will this be fixed in the final update? Or is there some way to preserve the status field when updating?

Spiril
Site Admin

Re: beta 7Beta7 update cleared status field

Post by Spiril »

John,

Try to open the C:\Users\[Windows_Username]\AppData\Roaming\NewsLeecher folder on your computer, and see if it contains a file named "downloaded.dat".

If it's there, pls PM it to me, so I can try to fix the bug.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

JohnNL

Post by JohnNL »

I looked for it, but there is not even a folder for c:\John\AppData\Roaming\Newsleecher. Lots of other sub-folders in ...\Roaming but not Newsleecher.
FYI, Newsleecher is installed in J:\Program Files not the C: drive.
J:\Program Files\Newsleecher.ini contains these two statements:
dataFolder=J:\Program Files\NewsLeecher\data\
tempFolder=J:\Program Files\NewsLeecher\data\Temp\

Note: when attempting to update from 7beta 6 to beta 8, a message appears stating "converting to new database format..." (or similar words)

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

The file should be in the J:\Program Files\NewsLeecher\data\ folder then.

Btw, if there is a file called downloaded.v2.dat pls send that instead.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

JohnNL

Post by JohnNL »

I found downloaded.dat and downloaded.v2.dat in the data folder, and I attempted again to update from v6 to v8. This time I got a bug check so figured that the downloaded or downloaded.v2 files were corrupt after running beta version updates by me over last year or two. I deleted both downloaded.dat and downloaded.v2.dat and this time everything seems normal. I don't have the backup status anymore. But the downloaded.dat file is new and not corrupted as it must have been previously. Thanks for your help!