7.0 Beta 7 - Auto-pause corrupts the download queue?

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
jharris1993

7.0 Beta 7 - Auto-pause corrupts the download queue?

Post by jharris1993 »

Issue:
After NewsLeecher 7.0 Beta 7 automatically paused due to a lack of disk space, subsequent attempts to start the program result in program errors that crash the program.

The program crashes may have been caused by the automatic pause corrupting the top entry/entries in the queue.

"Crash" means:
1. The program becomes un-responsive. (Windows displays "Not Responding")
2. All download activity stops, which is confirmed by the lack of disk activity.
3. It is necessary to use the Task Manager to kill the program.

See "Detailed Bug Description" below for additional information.

Proposed Severity: 1 - Critical - causes program to crash
Proposed Priority: 1 - Critical - should be fixed in the next point-release

Scale is: 1 - 5, 1 is the highest severity/priority, and 5 is the lowest.

Active Version: 7.0 beta 7

Active Subscription Level: Client Plus

System:
Win7 Home Premium 64 bit, fully updated as of this instant date.
System is a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6980, with an Intel Core Duo, T9400 (with virtualization enabled), 8Gb RAM, 2T hard drive, running on a hard-wired Ethernet network.

Detailed Bug Description:
Earlier today, NewsLeecher 7.0 Beta7 automatically paused due to low hard drive space.

When this happened, I closed NewsLeecher and freed up disk space so that I could continue my downloads. After freeing up disk space and restarting NewsLeecher, the program would throw a "Program Error" dialog within a very few minutes, and the program would crash.

There are two scenarios:
1. Program throws error. I click on "OK". The "Program Error" dialog disappears and the program crashes.
2. Program throws error. I click on the dialog's close control, (the [X] button in the upper right-hand corner). Both the "Program Error" and the program freeze.

Initial investigation showed that repeated re-starts of the software, or even a complete shutdown and reboot of the system did not resolve the issue.

During this initial investigation, I noted the following program errors being thrown prior to the program freezing:

Code: Select all

Bug Data #1:
asdasdfaa

Bug Data #2:
asfsdf

====================

Bug Data #1:
lkljdf

Bug Data #2:
Access violation at address 00BCFB67 in module 'newsLeecher.exe'. Read of 
address 00000008

====================

Bug ID:
cgcuaingd

Bug Data #2:
Access violation at address 00BD4CE2 in module 'newsLeecher.exe'. Read of address 00000008

====================

Bug Data #1:
asdasdfaa

Bug Data #2:
asfsdf

====================

Bug Data #1:
lkljdf

Bug Data #2:
Access violation at address 00BCFB67 in module 'newsLeecher.exe'. Read of 
address 00000008
Ultimately I was able to restore normal operation by starting NewsLeecher, quickly pausing all download activity, deleting the top item in the download queue, and then un-pausing the queue.

After removing the top entry, and restoring normal operation, I re-paused the program and closed it. Upon restart, the program threw a program error

Bug ID:
14w06s23v

Bug Data #2:
Access violation at address 00BB9055 in module 'newsLeecher.exe'. Read of address 0000002B
I killed and re-started the program. It ran for a few moments and then threw the following error:

Bug ID:
cgcuaingd

Bug Data #2:
Access violation at address 00BD4CE2 in module 'newsLeecher.exe'. Read of address 00000008
In the two cases noted above, the program did not freeze when the error was thrown, but did freeze after the error dialog was acknowledged. Prior to this, the program froze at the point in time the error was thrown.

I then repeated the workaround - quickly pausing and then deleting the top item - and it restored the ability to download. Once I have done this, any attempt to close the program causes this error to re-occur.

I have saved the data located in "%username%\AppData\Roaming\NewsLeecher" to a RAR file which is about 8.5 gigs in size. I have also captured the contents of the "Program Files (x86)\NewsLeecher" directory to another RAR file which is about 4 megs in size.

I would be happy to provide these files to you, however you will need to tell me how to send them as they are quite large.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Run NewsLeecher 7.0 Beta 7 with a large number of items in the download queue. Note that there will be periodic nonsense errors of the form:

Bug Data #1:
asdasdfaa

Bug Data #2:
asfsdf
. . . that should not affect the operation of the program.

2. Verify that the program continues to run, and downloads occur normally.
3. Cause a "lack of disk-space" automatic pause to take place. Verify that the program automatically pauses all downloads.
4. Close the program.
5. Increase the amount of disk space available by removing files from the disk.
6. Restart the program

Expected Results:
1. The program restarts.
2. All queued items in the download queue begin downloading in succession as is normal.
3. No errors are thrown, and the program operation proceeds normally.

Actual Results:
1. Upon restart of the program, a program error similar to those shown above is thrown, and the program crashes as noted above.

Now that I have written this bug, I plan to remove all the program data saved in "%username%\AppData\Roaming\NewsLeecher", completely un-install the program, and then do a fresh install re-configuring the program from scratch.

Thanks!

Jim (JR)
Attachments
NewsLeecher 7.0 Beta 7 Program Error Data.txt
(902 Bytes) Downloaded 140 times
Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb

jharris1993

Re: 7.0 Beta 7 - Auto-pause corrupts the download queue?

Post by jharris1993 »

Update:

I completely removed NewsLeecher 7.0 Beta 7, removed the data from AppData\Roaming, verified that there were no artifacts left either on the hard drive, or in the Registry, rebooted, and then re-installed 7.0 Beta 7.

I re-configured from scratch, performed a SuperSearch look-up, and began a multi-part article download. After about three minutes, the program threw an error message as noted before, and crashed.

Repeated attempts to start and use NewsLeecher 7.0 Beta 7 have been futile.

I am planning to return to the 4.n version I was using before until this gets fixed. Please let me know so that I can re-download the next beta release and try again.

One thing I do not understand is that the ability to use this software appeared to slowly deteriorate over time. On initial install, it worked well. After that, the software worked less and less well, throwing more and more errors, until finally I cannot use it at all.

I find this both interesting and confusing as I have done everything I can think of to remove all traces of the previous installs from my system - including looking into the Virtual Store (AppData\Local\VirtualStore) to verify that there were no artifacts left there either.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Jim (JR)
Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb