NL 7 b12 - Can't register

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
scuba
Site Admin

Re: NL 7 b12 - Can't register

Post by scuba » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:18 am

crocolord wrote:Affecting me also, no members area access, and b12 won't register. I'm going to try the rollback to b11. I know my password is correct, as I'm sure others do as well. I use a password manager, there's no way I'm entering it wrong.
Yes the back-end has been changed so to register beta version 12 some passwords may not work. (yes even though they work with version 11.)

Please get a password reset from the website and you can register version 12 after getting a new passoword. If there is any issues - contact us at the support using the support form.
Scuba - NewsLeecher Support Team
The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

kublai

Post by kublai » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:05 pm

I have an expired NL that I bought and so why do I still have the banner even though my NL is registered?

cory1492

Post by cory1492 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:08 pm

Indeed, it strikes me as a little shady that resetting the members area password may well prevent people who were entitled to using prior versions (without a massive unhideable banner) from being able to use those versions. Here's hoping its just an oversight in this 'new back end'... sadly the change log didn't even mention the possibility of these issues.

scuba
Site Admin

Post by scuba » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:10 pm

Because you will need an active package to make it disappear. It's not possible to "buy" a newsleecher version to use forever without the banner.
Newsleecher beta and newest final version (coming soon) will be free but with the banner.
Scuba - NewsLeecher Support Team
The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

cory1492

Post by cory1492 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:59 pm

scuba, you do realize some of us have been here a while...
https://web.archive.org/web/20120919194 ... om/?id=buy
(and are/have been still renewing based on these packages - the now killed key/registration method seems to have been active as far back as 2011)
After the upgrade period is over, you can keep and use the most recent NewsLeecher version, released within the upgrade period time frame, for as long as you like.
Dunno about you, but 'as long as I like' sure seems to be 'forever'.

and some of us (like me and kublai) have been here and paying for a really, really long while...
https://web.archive.org/web/20040806080 ... om/?id=buy

The only time I really look at the web site or forums is when there is a problem with the software... like suddenly the registration isn't working or it wants me to pay it again. So to have this level of change without any real warning after resetting the password just feels... wrong. Not that I don't get the need for it, as a business that is trying to transition to being a service, but a heads up if no concessions were possible would have been nice rather than "it fixes registration for some people"... especially considering over the years (far too often) recommended workarounds to new bugs would be to go to a previous version :lol:

Anyway, good work newsleecher =D> I don't think there are very many paid software products I've stuck with for 12+ years.

kublai

Post by kublai » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:12 pm

I have not stopped liking NL so can I get the banner removed? I have been using NL and paid for it since v2.xx and just stopped renewing my NL last year since some of the crtitical bugs to me have not been fixed.

Dreamweaver

Post by Dreamweaver » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:18 pm

Same here! WTF!

Went back to 7.0 beta 10 and finally it works again.

BTW:

https://www.newsleecher.com/old/

https://www.newsleecher.com/releases/nl_setup_70010.exe

slobster

Post by slobster » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:43 pm

Same boat as many others, been waiting for over a hour for an email. Better email support me thinks.
b12 won't register and cant log into members area.. weird

slobster

Post by slobster » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:57 am

Interesting the graphs on the status page show a massive drop in usage, which would indicate a major issue.
https://www.newsleecher.com/status/

buzzword147

Post by buzzword147 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:35 pm

Don't feel bad, I've been waiting since yesterday morning for an email after trying the password reset page twice, it's obviously not working.

I've also emailed support and gotten no reply as of yet. Something must be really munged up.

Fortunately I reinstalled nl7b11 and everything is now back to normal.
Not installing b12 again until I see here that it's all been worked out.

At least my forum login still works!

slobster

Post by slobster » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:06 am

Still no answer from support and still can't log into members area. I seem to be an unknown user. In my 10th year as a user as well.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:21 am

Sorry about the problems you have with accessing the members area.

If you haven't received a response from support yet, it might be due to blacklisting issues that prevent mails from reaching us / you. Most mails are sent / received properly, but a few percent are bounced and never reach the proper destination.

Please PM me with your NewsLeecher "members area" username and I'll reset the password.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

charles1k

Post by charles1k » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:38 am

sinrise wrote:Ironically, this release that was supposed to fix registration issues, caused mine. I can no longer complete my registration with NL. My account is current. Going back to b11 until this is fixed.
I could not register into NL 7.0 b12, so I went and did a Forgot password and when I did a register, NL took it, but now...... I am getting a 502 Authentication Failed.
I tried to back up to beta 11 and it will not take any password, no matter which way I attempt to register it,
Now I have tried to go back to beta 10 and it cannot be registered.
The password registered "Yes Yes Yes" but I still get the 502 Authentication error.
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

charles1k

Post by charles1k » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:27 am

Well after thinking it out, The 502 is because the server/Member/ Supersearch/ etc all use the same password, and I registered NL the program, but I did not change the Server password to the new password!?!?!

#1tech

Re: NL 7 b12 - Can't register (YES YOU CAN)

Post by #1tech » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:52 pm

I sent NewsLeecher support a message about the inability to log-in to the NewsLeecher " Client" and "Members Area".
scuba, in one day sent me a new "Password". I entered the new Password into the "Client and Members area log-in"and POOF everything was working again in 30 seconds!.

Don't post the login problem here in this forum. Send the issue directly to "NewsLeecher Support" a for fast response. I know............Great help there!

THANK YOU NewsLeecher Support :D
#1tech =D>